Evs safer for cyclists according to green mp

Page 3 / 3
annie17111, Jun 23, 4:42pm
and I stand corrected, windscreens crack easier but side windows are easier to break. Chances of a cyclist going thru a windscreen isn't that likely because they are laminated and designed so they don't.
So tygertung is right.

kazbanz, Jun 23, 5:09pm
I'm sorry dude but having VERY recently spent a week in hospital as the result of being hit by a "safe' car in the way you describe I can tell you that is not the case.

trogedon, Jun 23, 5:42pm
I'm saddened to read this has happened to you Kaz ;-( I hope you recover fast and well. I doubt he was stating that it's always the case but modern car fronts are in general designed to be a little easier on pedestrians and cyclists if hit.

annie17111, Jun 23, 5:46pm
hope you recover nice and quickly.

joanie32, Jun 23, 6:22pm
Side windows are toughened glass and shatter

Screens at laminated and instead of shattering crack into shards that stay in place.

I’ve seen the top half of a head go through the glass and removed from the human it was attached to.

As I said earlier people don’t go though a laminated screen, but parts of them certainly do

tygertung, Jun 23, 9:43pm
Surely they are toughened and laminated?

They used to be just toughened, but then they moved on to laminated, must have been safer.

kazbanz, Jun 23, 10:10pm
fair call mate but l guess l have first hand experience of the difference between theory and reality. Planning on visiting a couple of local schools with my jacket pants and helmet to show the damage done.

tygertung, Jun 24, 9:45am
I'm sorry to hear that. It really illustrates the needs for lower speeds in urban areas and for drivers to take their responsibilities seriously when driving.

paul861, Jun 24, 9:51am
i call bollocks, i had the loudest ish bike in the waikato, didnt stop someone from pulling out in front of me, the cop on the opposite intersection didnt hear me either

gazzat22, Jun 24, 9:53am
Hard to believe.!They were absolutely perfect before Labour became the Government.!

trogedon, Jun 24, 9:58am
No thanks for the best wishes Trog? You are a sample size of one. Car makers do due diligence in car design and it shows. What would you rather have hit you - the front of a modern car or the front of say a '57 Chev? Showing the damage done to kids is more likely to put them off riding which is not what is wanted. If you were riding appropriately then it was the car driver's fault and ditto if they ride safely.

trogedon, Jun 24, 10:00am
Agreed. Performance Bike magazine did a scientific test of this in the late '90s and found that loud pipes aren't especially noticed when a motorbike is coming towards a driver any more than quieter pipes are.

kazbanz, Jun 24, 5:38pm
Sorry Troggy. What I think I'm saying and what I am saying is a mile apart right now.
Im having to double and triple check everything I do
To be honest I'm in a bad head space.
Two years training for a race down the drain and body pretty beaten up.
Driver didn't stop and I waited roadside 2.5 hours for the ambo that never turned up.
I was travelling at 60km/h when it happened so the damage was "decent"
Thank you for the concern you and the others that posted.

framtech, Jun 24, 9:12pm
Last time I looked , this is a free country with freedom of choice, what that means is that it is nobodies business what you invest in, in fact these rules are going to make more people buy utes, I am seriously looking at buying a ute with the only reason being to draw a line in the stand and standing up to freedom of choice and stuff them. every logic says these climate taxes are a con and that the world is doing just great, in fact some boffins are saying that man has and is having no affect on the world at all.
As far as cycles go, cycles and vehicles do not and should not mix, ok if you are in the city in a cycle lane going to work, but riding a bike on a highway is total madness and should be banned, highways are for motorized carriage and bike tracks, velodroms and cycle ways are for bikes, do cars drive on cycle tracks - no

tygertung, Jun 24, 9:41pm
Would you have cycle lanes built where every road is then?

framtech, Jun 24, 9:56pm
 only in high cycle use area's in large cities, but no cycles on highways with car speeds over 50. kph

pico42, Jun 25, 10:17am
if the cycles must be kept separate from cars, why does the car speed still dictate where you would build cycleways?
A much more reasonable standard would be that you build cycleways to match everywhere you have banned them from to provide solely for motor vehicles.

gazzat22, Jun 25, 10:36am
Now heres an idea for the greenies to push. Motorways for bicycles ONLY.! Never mind the cost.If they are entitled to their own separate Harbour Bridge why not a separate motorway but called a "Greenway" and put a levy on all bikes to pay for it. Cyclists say they pay for the roads as they also own cars and pay rego etc so shouldnt non cyclists get a cheaper/discounted rego fee.and cheaper fuel?

tygertung, Jun 25, 11:01am
Urban roads are paid for by rates though.

tygertung, Jun 25, 11:02am
I take it you are not a fan of cycle touring?

gazzat22, Jun 25, 11:40am
So ratepayers who are not cyclists should get a rates rebate.Clutching at straws.!

tygertung, Jun 25, 12:07pm
What? Do you mean that if a ratepayer never leaves the house and doesn't use the roads or footpaths in any way they should get a rates rebate? Seems unlikely.

gazzat22, Jul 21, 12:04pm
So projects like the Waterview Tunnel and similar in Auckland as well as all the roads earthquake damaged in Christchurch were paid for by rates or the councils insurance ?