Re-con alternator or replace?

muzz67, Nov 16, 8:37pm
Kia with 200 000 hard km has developed its first issue,, not charging.
Do auto sparkies still re-con alternators or just replace nowadays?
Cheers.

rover79, Nov 16, 9:17pm
I had a Nisan one done A few years ago and cost me 350 but a new one cost 650
Then a few years before that I had a battery outfit clean one up and bench tested it and reckoned that it was fine and charge me 180, a week later light started coming on again.
So I bought a secondhand one for 150

cattleshed, Nov 16, 10:44pm
Important to know the details. What year is it and what model Kia?

mber2, Nov 16, 10:52pm
Get a few quotes as it probably is just replace brushes.

muzz67, Nov 17, 5:54am
2010 Rio

msigg, Nov 17, 7:05am
Replace. Easy done.

clark20, Nov 17, 7:29am
Visit a good Auto Electrician and find out

franc123, Nov 17, 7:43am
If you're going to be getting rid of the car shortly just putting a second hand one on will probably be the best. Compete new alternators can either be ridiculously cheap or rudely expensive depending on what it is and how common it is, the same applies to internal parts, if they're even available. If you can get a photo of the ID label on it and start googling the numbers or give the info to an auto sparky you will soon get an idea of what route is best to take.

cattleshed, Nov 17, 4:36pm
When you say not charging. what is your evidence for that claim? Let's say the battery is going flat. There can be reasons for that other than a faulty alternator. Eg a loose fan belt or a faulty battery. Another possibility is that something is draining the power even though the car is locked up. Sure an alternator can fail at 200k and 10 years but they often last a lot longer too.

cattleshed, Nov 17, 4:37pm
But not necessarily fixed.

ash4561, Oct 23, 3:19pm
Depends if 600 or 300 to replace. I used to think they were all expensive to replace but some under 300 new.