Road speed

Page 2 / 3
poppy62, Jun 3, 9:45pm
It's the car equivalent of guys who "suffer" from P.E.

redhead18, Jun 3, 9:53pm
Ah Dear all the ADHD and PE. and Technical terms nowadays.

Hoots Mon back then we just used ta say.

Too much blood in ya alcohol system.

Edit to add. a well known motoring message boarder

743 7 Bob Boniface Simon Butler Toyota Altezza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tP2WLKjIM4 SKIP TO 3.50 . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EEBwX8vcP8

SKIP TO 8.41

clark20, Jun 3, 10:46pm
Oh dear what a time to ask, yesterday and I backed off at 150 racing a STI and a Turbo F1 Meganne, they didn't have a hope. Still, it takes only 4s from 100 to 150.

smallwoods, Jun 3, 11:22pm
A couple of years back in our Ranger.
Even kept a photo of the GPS reading.

franc123, Jun 3, 11:47pm
Must have been 3 years or so back, overtook 4 bunched up trucks at once in my Fairmont, they were doing about 85km/h for over 20km and then typically when two lanes become three suddenly 110km/h is possible. had some little car in front of me that wouldnt pass because it couldn't. Traffic was steadily building up behind me, about 18 cars. Poor thing kicked back to 2nd so hard and fast the drive belt shrieked, touched 175km/h or thereabouts at the end, I wasnt looking that close as I was also leaning on my airhorns at the time I pulled back in. I love my car, maintain it impeccably and I apologised to it afterwards, it did what it was made to do.

Arrogant pricks in these juggernauts knew exactly what they were doing. Most of this crap should be being moved by Kiwirail and not on Hwy 1 with an empty rail line beside it and these 'professionals' dismissed if they won't behave. I know I'm not the only one tired of this bollocks.

laurelanne, Jun 4, 6:19am
The little things that make you laugh. Describing a fan belt trying to keep up.

paul861, Jun 4, 7:35am
i never go over 100 on my rocket3 gt

gblack, Jun 4, 8:18am
Older now so don't hoon so much, but even my little 675cc Triumph Street Triple will hit 100kmh in first, happily spinning up over 11,000rpm before the rev counter shift change lights come on fully.

I do tend to thrash the bike on motorway onramps . looking back at GoPro footage looks like I generally get to speed limit within 4-5 seconds. Occasionally overshoot the limit by a fair bit but then ease off into sixth.

I really want to take the bike to the race track but need one piece leathers and to properly prep the bike for that.

Can confirm though that drag on bikes gets extreme once to start getting into the 200kmh range so can't imagine sustaining that speed for long. I don't get the trend for super powered naked bikes from BMW and Ducati.

shakespeare6, Jun 4, 8:34am
NZ years ago- probably my Subaru legacy. Before covid I would travel to the US regularly - would do anything from 20-160 on the freeways around LA Anarchy rules on those! One minute your doing the ton next minute slam on the brakes your doing walking speed for the next 45 minutes

mcfc11, Jun 4, 4:18pm
I had a Lotus Carlton in 1991 that would reach speeds of 176 MPH and that is a four door car.

jesus2000, Jun 4, 4:26pm
Yesterday when coming back from town with groceries. If I'm doing a overtake I couldn't care less about keeping under the speed limit.

I like a reasonably gutsy car (300hp seems nice) for overtaking maneuvers on the kind of roads I live around.

Of course I have a top of the line radar detector and police scanner.

gamefisher, Jun 4, 7:48pm
150Kph (+) is not fast hell bells 160Kph is only 100Mph.

poppy62, Jun 4, 9:02pm
The point is when is the last time you drove at that speed and I'm not talking about a 10 second squirt. If 99% of the driving Populace only achieve it once in a month of Blue moons, then what is the point of having vehicles that break the sound barrier in acceleration and top speed. Unless you're Mals69 I don't see the logic.

keith190, Jun 4, 9:29pm
Some people like beautiful painting,clothes, gardens boats etc but I have a passion for fast cars.I love their sound,their large foot print on the ground.their massive stopping abilty and acceleration and handling ability.I enjoy just looking at them (anybodys) plus I am doing my bit for the planet by useing up the remaining fossil fuels as fast as I can

apollo11, Jun 4, 9:55pm
The problem is that if you get caught doing close to 50 over the limit these days, you are toast. I'm now in the boring old fart category, and to be honest I couldn't ride my bike to 50% of it's potential nowadays anyway. I took it up to 250k when I first bought it just so I could say I'd done it lol. I'll leave the risky stuff to the young fellas from now on.

jesus2000, Jun 4, 10:07pm
Well I also sometimes take my car to 1/4 mile drag racing club events. I get to use most of its potential for a good chunk of the day. Lots of totally legal organized fun.

bill1451, Jun 5, 1:00pm
your user name says it all, you are untouchable, dont worry about that van that goes through the stop sign.

bill1451, Jun 5, 1:04pm
Its the male P.E thing mines bigger faster more expensive than yours, me I,m in the old fart catergory like you, more should show some respect for other road users, too many "Darwin" awards being handed out lately, case in point Ashburton accident friday.

tegretol, Jun 5, 1:08pm
Anyone interested in buying a 260kph vehicle that is full of cobwebs, very clean and seldom used?

jesus2000, Jun 5, 2:24pm
What if I'm driving a truck doing 90 km/h. ?

Does religiously sticking to the speed limit eliminate that hazard?

poppy62, Jun 5, 4:15pm
Very brave of you! try it without turning on the detector and scanner and you'll be like the rest of us. I'm guessing, you're probably the Best Driver in NZ, let's Hope you don't meet the worst one, going the other way. Don't think the gadgets would help.

laurelanne, Jun 5, 4:22pm
Very funny and so true. It is always the other guy rather than the road these days.

esprit, Jun 5, 5:00pm
My Lotus regularly gets up to 180km/h or so. If I'm passing a line of a few cars in one go, its quite possible to exceed that kind of speed in an overtaking manoeuvre by the time you're abreast the lead car in the queue. Less time spent in the oncoming lane is the key.

jesus2000, Jun 5, 5:25pm
We probably have the same engine. 2GR-FE?

jesus2000, Jun 5, 5:27pm
Of course. Radar detector helps me know if there is a cop down the road and the scanner helps me know if they are after me.