Road speed

Page 1 / 3
poppy62, Jun 3, 9:51am
When is the last time you hit 150Kph (+) on the roads here in NZ? and is the Top speed of a car relevant anymore?

dublo, Jun 3, 10:09am
I can neither confirm nor deny that in 2010 a certain 1999 Accord V6 registered 180 km/h (and had more to go) on a long, deserted straight somewhere in the North Island.
But back in the 1970s it was common to regularly see 70+ mph (110+ km/h) on state highways when there was little traffic about (and not sign of a speed camera) - then they brought in that 80 km/h limit in 1974 "to conserve fuel. ", and carless days, and petrol stations closed at weekends so it was the end of enthusiastic motoring as we knew it.

cjohnw, Jun 3, 10:14am
I drive a late model Subaru WRX and the official brochure states a top speed of 240kmph.
I have no idea if that is accurate . . .

tygertung, Jun 3, 10:22am
Back in the day when I was a villain, I used to have a '75 Corolla with a 5K, extractors, high flow exhaust, and twin side draft 40mm Dellortoes which would do over 180 Km/h. And I used to have a 1600 turbo Cordia which was quite fast too as they have quite good aerodynamics.

And several motorbikes which could exceed 150. But I wouldn't recommend driving that fast now. I find an enjoyable challenge now is to see how far one can drive on a tank of petrol. I got from Christchurch to Blenheim and then back to Amberly before I needed to fuel up a few years ago.

intrade, Jun 3, 10:22am
what year model i know the early 2000 WRX sold in europe would go to 245 kph probably 230kp real speed As where the same ARL tdi diesel would pull away to 160 but then slow down just like electric tesla and top out at 205 when the WRX would come and fly past eventually. The shoutout was the suabru and the golf diesel. The tesla just behaves in a similar way from what i did read dropping off a cliff at 160kph . I noticed the same on Diesel 160 seems to be the magic number where wind resistance increases quite a lot above . Driving cruise speed 160kph on German autobahn with rented Tiguan To frankfurt from konstanz rental place in 2018 i think Refreshed all this in my head.

tygertung, Jun 3, 10:29am
I once hired an Audi A3 in Germany and it got up to 215 on the autobahn even though it had a 1.2L turbo. It actually went slightly faster than the manufacturers specifications.

After using shitloads of expensive German petrol to go really fast we got stuck in a traffic jam shortly after for ages, rendering my high speed jaunt a huge waste of time. I just stuck to a more fuel economical 100 after that and used the money saved on German beers.

cjohnw, Jun 3, 10:35am
2018 WRX Premium SLT

tony9, Jun 3, 10:42am
40+ years ago in Aus. 220Kph legally, for many miles.

Also, shortly before that and not legally in NZ, 130MPH on a bike. Like driving through a tunnel.

tamarillo, Jun 3, 10:42am
My bike hums at 150 ( by all reports) and yes I NEED the power!

poppy62, Jun 3, 2:12pm
Hmmm! By all accounts there doesn't seem to be the need for vehicles that get above 125KPH. Why are people so obsessed with 200KPH+ vehicles in NZ when nobody appears to break the 110KPH sound barrier. It was almost 30 years ago that I last achieved 160KPH. I don't think I've topped 130KPH since. Even My Smart Fortwo is limited to 140KPH which it will never see, so why the fascination with unrealistic fast cars. Anyone planning a Cop chase?

poppy62, Jun 3, 2:16pm
Tam, at that speed and your age, I doubt any vibration/shakes could or should be attributed to the bike.

cjohnw, Jun 3, 2:38pm
It’s not just about top speed.
In my case it was more about passing acceleration.
Yes, I rarely pass 110kmph.

likit, Jun 3, 2:51pm
Watched a YouTube video last night of the fastest 4 door sedans in the world, it was made in 2015, the Dodge Charger won with a top speed of 204mph, next was a Jaguar, 174 mph.

ronaldo8, Jun 3, 2:51pm
20 years ago on a deserted norwest motoway with an Audi driving poser who didn't like being politely overtaken by an sw20, effectively the only two cars on the road at 5AM, Little did he know it contained a Garret TO4 and matching twin injector rails etc etc etc etc.

When it started to get "floaty" from the aerodynamics, which were admittedly also quite good, it was time to button it back. A single gust of wind more could have done it I reckon. I wasn't paying attention to either the speedo or whatever happened to the Audi at that point., should have been on a salt flat.

peanuteater, Jun 3, 3:07pm
Around 5 years ago before i sold it, my bike had a "stated" top speed of 260 kph, and "apparently" at 200 kph it would be possible to change up into top gear, of course IF someone were to try that the road would have to ideal,( if such a road were to exist in N.Z.) theres better bikes than that around to, it was only a 750.

gph1961, Jun 3, 4:46pm
someone 4 years ago got 50 demerits plus a big fine
the nice man first said. I didnt think I would see someone like you driving like that. thankyou officer

socram, Jun 3, 6:08pm
LOL. I have ALWAYS tried to get the most out of a tank of fuel, but when I was much younger, driving a hot Cooper S (original type), about 165kph would have been the maximum anyway.

All vehicles owned in recent years would easily top that, but I'm one of those who rarely lets the concentration slip and the speed creep up, but I can guarantee that when I do, I'll get pinged! Not worth it.

So the last time and the next time I hit 150kph, would be on a UK motorway, where at that speed you just blend in with the traffic in the right hand lane and move back left to let the quicker drivers pass - which they will.

As a consequence, driving on the public roads in NZ has become a total bore - and that means complacency and potentially, a danger, especially so in a quiet modern - and I would imagine, an EV.

loud_37, Jun 3, 6:45pm
That would be today, and I was a passenger just the other week where we hit 210km/h

stevo2, Jun 3, 7:29pm
Ummm, I better say "No Comment"

marte, Jun 3, 7:56pm
Got 190km/h in a A4 B5 2.4 without any effort once. Bugs hitting the windscreen like stones.
But, id doubt if i will ever go over 120 km/h again unless theres a proper reason to do so.

laurelanne, Jun 3, 8:30pm
Years back coming home with kid's in the back saying , hurry up dad, we want to see something on TV. Came around a slight bend, foot to the floor, 180kph plus, and I met the cop. He did the decent thing and didn't even try turning around. Other than that, I always keep it under 140kph. I am past wanting to walk home.

nice_lady, Jun 3, 8:39pm
About 10yrs ago. Hubby rushed home as I'd had a bit of a turn. Secondary road but good straight and seal he got the Honda Integra, (1600cc 1995?), Up to 165kmh. And it was revving to 4500 at that point. It redlined at 7000. He thought that was about fast enough.

redhead18, Jun 3, 8:53pm
Back before the MOT and The Po. Lice merged and when well Thread Title could be rewritten as.

Who has a radar detector anymore?

Recall one night pulling on to the North western at Waterview and clear road so foot go down in V 8.
Seems i went past a unit by the bridge/causeway at well Ton or so.
Pulled over and parked up well off road at Rosebamk walked out to fence sat and waited and mmmm
Had a talk with a polite person who well.
WTF You got in that thing/ this thing was hemorrhaging finishing shift.

mmkay. Neither Confirm Or Deny
After all speedo only had numbers up to 240 so .

poppy62, Jun 3, 8:58pm
Seems that having a car that exceeds 140KPH is rather pointless here in NZ.

redhead18, Jun 3, 9:21pm
AWWWWWW

http://cobraspot.com/427SideOiler.htm?fbclid=IwAR0amXENhkVDPlKALTuz-dkUJMo9OXLGMCx0iEka3TLsRWg6LRPL31d8Tr0

Gentlemen, hang onto your toupe! This is a real-deal 427 Side-oiler Ford with dual quads on Nitrous! If your need for speed goes beyond the 351C, this is the power-train you have been dreaming of. The bark this bad boy has will get you noticed quickly.

Yes lives more on manfield

But yeah seems the old roads and traffic well these days doin what ya used to do ain't like it was back when we had gravel roads around and wooden marker pegs. LOL