Private sellers asking more then car dealers

kiwilandchch, Apr 30, 2:35pm
what is with private sellers asking for more then car dealers and give you no back up when buying. and 2008 cars . mean like thats like 13 year old cars and they are asking 8 -- 9 --10 k for cars near or over 200 thousand kms . freaking madness. pretty over priced . think most sellers are dreaming.
was going buy new car but been put off by how over priced cars are now. will stick with me old 1996 car im thinking .

tgray, Apr 30, 2:58pm
They can ASK as much as they want - doesn't bother me two hoots.

kiwilandchch, Apr 30, 3:06pm
well i no that lol . but why would u pay same as car sale prices when u have even less come back on a private sale if things go wrong. doesnt make sense . then months latter i see same cars still listed and sellers wonder why im guessing

franc123, Apr 30, 4:05pm
Theyre just on the lookout for stupid unresearched buyers with cash on the hip, something thats pretty rare. Let them try and find them, you can always find what you are looking for at the right price if you go about it the right way and deal with the right people. Some of these dreamers sure ain't selling the pick of the crop and its usually evident in the photos and sloppy presentation.

kazbanz, Apr 30, 4:12pm
In some cases its because they are well aware that the car is rare in our current climate.
Manual Diesel utes under 10k
Manual skylines etc
Or strangely NV200 vans.

annie17111, Apr 30, 4:39pm
We got our ute for 21k with canopy, same sort of ute at the dealer was 30k without the canapy.
Tho this was pre covid.

nesta129, Apr 30, 4:50pm
some of them have inflated prices due to the sentimental value of the cars (somehow in their head,that equates to more money).Some inflate prices because the wife wants them to sell but they dont,so they make it hard to sell lol.
Bascially what you consider trash is their treasure to sell.

buyit59, Apr 30, 7:05pm
Wonder if its because we all seem to remember what we paid for it in first case and can't bear to think its worth $$ less .
Also many private sellers dont have any idea of what costs are involved in being a dealer and think that a $500 markup is excessive.

socram, Apr 30, 8:28pm
What is even funnier is people advertising goods (not cars) at prices way above the prices either direct from the manufacturers or High St retailers!

cjohnw, Apr 30, 8:37pm
A lot of this must be directly attributable to the worldwide pandemic and the greatly reduced supply of goods and materials.
We have had a regular supply chain established over many years, a couple of these suppliers we now feel are suggesting “would you like to go to the front of the queue?”
And we know what that implies.

john1623, Apr 30, 9:38pm
Most people will negotiate.

kiwilandchch, May 1, 12:25am
Oh facebooks got heaps of the cars that are double price on here and like half the price well the real value of 2nd hand car of med to high kms
no more risky then buying off here . and save thousands . lot prices of cars on here are really really over the top. more less a rip. compared to real market value of a private sale. I have not brought a car since 2014 and am totally shocked what they want on here for age of the cars an amount of kms . Im in my 50s so been around a little while and no when someones trying to screw me. The car I have now and brought in 2014 paying $3000 and over them years only needing tyres oil changes and brake pads is still got years life in her just want a change . what would i get for 3000 these days lol a pile junk id say. Have increased my budget to 8k but may just leave in in bank an keep the old toyota i have. . seems 8k these days is like buying a 500 dollar wreak few years back .

john1623, May 1, 8:46am
Best look somewhere else then.Just as a matter of curiosity what was the car you bought in 2014 for $3000.

franc123, May 1, 10:22am
Faceache is full of scammers, deadbeats and skinflints who dont want to pay for advertising and are trying to offload their junk for what they can, as well as engaging in deliberately misleading behaviour and don't want to be traced, ever wondered why so many of them are covering up number plates or else cutting them out of the pictures, and are so keen on swaps? A fair bit of it has no clear ownership trail, has blatantly illegal mods or has already been stickered, is stolen or has money owing otherwise why conceal its identity. The Police don't recommend buying cars from there because its "The Wild West". Some of this rubbish IS also being clearly overvalued.

cjohnw, May 1, 10:50am
Ok go right ahead, buy your next $3,000 limousine off Facebook.
What could possibly go wrong?

apollo11, May 1, 10:58am
Most cars on faceache 'need a few things fixed for a wof' but still 'go hard'. It's the last place I'd buy a car off- unless I needed it for parts.

kiwilandchch, May 1, 11:02am
1996 rav4 was meant be a in-between car till found something better but the thing just goes and goes so Ive hung onto it. Must be one straightest ravs left out there

kiwilandchch, May 1, 11:07am
I no enough about cars to stand good chance getting something in good nick hardly going to make a bank depoist to someone in another city without having looked at it. going more for around 7 to 8 k

curlcrown, Aug 14, 11:09am
True, but I've sold many cars that fit that description on there, but they don't "go hard" and they are priced right.