Courier WLT Cambelt

Page 2 / 3
budgel, Dec 27, 6:19pm
Correct! I was turning the engine over this afternoon to put the injector pump onto its mark and could feel that compression type pushback.
I have got onto some replacement rockers, and will get a cambelt and tensioner tomorrow, I will need a cambelt anyway, and if the head is stuffed I am only out for the price of the rockers, whereas If I took the head off first, I would need gasket, bolts etc. even if it was OK.

I will just work through it and try that before removing the head.
I dunno how good the aftermarket heads are, but globally they seem to sell plenty of them for a good price that includes gaskets and bolts etc.
Here's hoping I dont have to go down that path, but I can manage that if I have to.

budgel, Dec 27, 6:22pm
Right, it was all done by the book, even the measuring of deflection on the non-tensioner side to be sure.

mechnificent, Dec 27, 6:33pm
Download a manual and check what I'm suggesting. Wouldn't want people here saying I was being irresponsible suggesting something that wasn't in the book. But as far as I know, these days if the rockers have that really skinny looking bit where they break, it's probably meant to do that. And the books say so. If we bother to read them. Just like reusing idler pulleys and waterpumps. The manufacturers tell us what to check, and how. and say if it passes the inspection, it's fine to reuse. Competent people, let alone mechanics, should be able to use their experience and discretion to judge these things.

intrade, Dec 27, 6:38pm
You give insufficient information you claim you done the job but you dont know what part brands you used seems rather strange to me.

mechnificent, Dec 27, 6:41pm
And when you put the new belt on, turn it several turns watching really carefully for creeping, or uneven tension either edge of the belt.
From memory the belts giving problems last time were gates belts, which used to be reputable. The last two gates fanbelts I fitted would not stop stretching for weeks. I had to readjust and readjust them till they finally settled. Not a good sign. I gave up on gates. Now our local man sells something called dayco (I think it is), or there's bosch. People in here might have suggestions which is the best brand these days.

mechnificent, Dec 27, 6:42pm
When you buy the new belt. ask them if anyone has been mentioning the creep problem or any problem. they are legally obliged to answer honestly.

mechnificent, Dec 27, 6:49pm
Also. there are different materials used for the belts. Make sure you get the modern high temp and nonstretch stuff. They are dearer but modern motors need them.

budgel, Dec 27, 7:25pm
What's strange about a 71 year old forgetting the brand of belt bought over a year ago from a reputable supplier?
You are the strange one here.

budgel, Dec 27, 7:28pm
Yep I am planning to, I see you are from up here. I bought it from Lumpy, the stuff he sells is usually OK.

intrade, Dec 27, 7:31pm
ok fair enough . . this is not a accusation but a observation.

the older they get the more they try to cheapskate , not wanting to pay . I hope i dont do that when i am old lol.
i can not work for most of the older guys that i know because they just want to pay less then nothing. Better they go elsewhere and bitch to me they have been ripped off.

mechnificent, Dec 27, 7:52pm
Oh well Budgel. I go see Lumpy. He's a good fellow.

If you would like someone to throw another pair of eyes over it yell out.

And doing your own work at 71 is very good. well done you.

mechnificent, Dec 27, 7:55pm
Lumpy's been selling parts since he was about sixteen. I was buying them. haha

intrade, Dec 27, 8:03pm
be awear its not that this lumpys sold you bad quality its thats bad quality as all and everywhere. I watch german engine reconditioner who i could see it was bad erling parts they showed as i recognize the packet. .

mechnificent, Dec 27, 8:05pm
So what do you recommend we should do about that Intrade ?
Make our own belt ?

mechnificent, Dec 27, 8:09pm
I remember a few years ago Intrade, you used to reckon that all that electronic crap is a big ripoff and we should pull it all off engines and put carbys on them. or fit a 2L toyota, non-turbo, because they are the only good ones. because you had one.

Perhaps we should fit a 2L

mechnificent, Dec 27, 8:09pm
Advice is only any good if it's useful.

intrade, Dec 27, 8:13pm
no buy reputable brands and hope for the best
Gates bosch continental. i am quite worried as my unit injector has huge loads on the cambelt. driving the whole injectors in the head .

intrade, Dec 27, 8:14pm
thats how you could nuke that topgear 2L with one of them self destructing onhanglow rubber belts.

mechnificent, Dec 27, 8:17pm
Ha. yeah I like toyotas too Intrade.

That is what it would take.

mechnificent, Dec 27, 8:18pm
Do you reckon Gates are still good Intrade ?

mechnificent, Dec 27, 8:19pm
Anyone got an opinion about belt makes ?

bigfatmat1, Dec 27, 8:28pm
Had one in wshop the other week shredded belt broken rockers and holes in piston.

intrade, Dec 27, 8:29pm
what i have a opinion do not buy opti$hit thats what i can say. if gates is still good i dont know. because erling and mahle was good quality. as in was maybe is but may not if made in onhanglow district with slaves who got 2 secound sleep a day.
bosch starter motors the germans also sent in failed from new. could have been the relay as bosch claimed they found no fault with the faulty starter. you just do not know What you can trust

mechnificent, Dec 27, 8:35pm
Crikey Mat. do you reckon the valves knocked the holes in the pistons ?

Was it a diesel ? What make etc.

Valves don't normally make holes through pistons.

intrade, Dec 27, 8:35pm
what engine do you know more belt make etc?