Diesel power chip/tuning box

Page 1 / 3
boat3, Jan 6, 2:01pm
has anyone had much experience with these, some people think they are great, some say stay away, do they just trick the ecu into thinking low rail pressure, and if they remap is this all the are acheiving by different means. vehicle is a 2012 triton 4x4 2.5 ute, quite big gains by the looks.

intrade, Jan 6, 2:59pm
tuning boxes are dangerous. especially if you dont delete the emissions and its not legal to temper with emission related items sometime after 2007 . Big gains can likely come with massive repair bills down the track. .
Remaping usually delets AGR to stay shut before it makes more hp. and you also want to delete a DPF in a way you can could reverse it if you go the illegal route.
wups AGR is german its EGR in english.

intrade, Jan 6, 3:07pm
Here is what i plan to do . build A time machine then i get EGR and dpf delete kit from darkside development and Get them to make me a towing map as i want maximum boost for number 1 gear .Then i go travel back in time and delete the emission crap all legally before the law was changed . then i travel back in time and Drive it all leagal as its emission was deleted before it was illegal to do so.
and then i am gona spend another 5 grand on airbag lift kit so the back wont sag to the ground if i tow 2 tons. and get me big offroad tyres
to look something like this
https://sites.google.com/site/hugodufour/IMG_3355.jpg
Doing stuff right cost big bux .
cutting corners will also cost big bux and nothing to show for after.

mechnificent, Jan 6, 3:13pm
Lol. Inter.

sw20, Jan 6, 3:15pm
Buy a vehicle that has the right performance for you out of the box. A ute is a work vehicle, not a project car.

mechnificent, Jan 6, 3:18pm
It's the modern version of off the shelf customising. Pose value.

mechnificent, Jan 6, 3:21pm
Bolt on bling.

gph1961, Jan 6, 3:22pm
I want a time machine too

mechnificent, Jan 6, 3:27pm
Yeah, and a pod racer.

bwg11, Jan 6, 3:46pm
As the general consensus here. Buy a vehicle with the performance you need. The manufacturers spend millions making the compromise between power, economy, emissions and engine life. Any backyard cowboy can fiddle inputs to the EMC for things like temperature, boost pressure or rail pressure to cause over fueling which of course gives more power at the expense of the other factors. We see claims of 20% more power, 10% better economy - laugh and walk away.

3tomany, Jan 6, 3:51pm
More power = more heat = more wear. Check out the price of an engine before you take the plunge is all i can advise.

skull, Jan 6, 4:16pm
I think the box in the loom is just tricking the ECU whereas a remap is likely to be much more in line with what the manufacturer would do should they want to up the power. I have had my BMW X3 done and I'm so happy with it I plan to hang onto it for much longer than normal. There may be an ever so slight reduction in fuel consumption, certainly not an increase. The extra 50kw is very noticeable as is the 100 odd extra newtons.

s_nz, Jan 6, 4:29pm
Big gains from chipping on turbo vehicles essentially come from winding up the boost pressure. This results in more stress on the entire drive-train, increasing the risk of failures.

As others have said, Turning / Re-chipping of engines requires LVV certification, and unless such certification is obtained, the ute won't be road legal. Generally it is best to avoid mod's that require LVV certification, unless they are one you badly want (Big suspension lifts / drops, engine swaps etc. )

Page 19 here:
https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_LVV_Cert_Threshold.pdf

Finally you will need to disclose this mod to your insurer, and being an performance modification may have a significant impact on premiums. (and if you fail to disclose and make a claim, the accessory will decline the claim if they find out the car had undisclosed performance mods.)

I think the 2012 triton 2.5 makes 131 kW and 400Nm from the factor, so quite respectable for the class. More power than a 2019 2.8 hilux.

franc123, Jan 6, 4:34pm
Correct, and that's just the effect on the engine, which is merely one component of your drivetrain. Manufacturers don't tend to over engineer vehicles very much these days, accountants won't let them , they know how much stress all the downstream componentry is going to be under and will make it accordingly. Every new safety or emission component that's required to make them compliable for sale adds cost and weight which they will try and take out from somewhere else.

tony9, Jan 6, 4:36pm
True. And compared with 20 years or more ago the engines are designed so that normal wear and pressures come within the design limits of the materials used, but not so far that material is wasted. In other words there is less margin for boosting torque or HP.

mechnificent, Jan 6, 4:47pm
Do you think they could be giving it more advance perhaps to get both those benefits, more power and better fuel economy ?

tweake, Jan 6, 6:11pm
simply put, it depends.

it depends a lot on how the tuning box interacts with the system.
some are just crude trick the rail pressure sensor.
theres is pulse extenders, start of the pulse extenders, some tap into the other sensors so it takes temps into account etc.

there is often room for gains to had, but its at the expense of emissions. typically diesels are detuned quite a bit to comply with emission rules.

if your going to chip a engine, make it more reliable first. with diesels improve the intercooling, improve the exhaust if required. make sure the cooling system is robust.
fit an egt gauge and even an afr gauge if you can. you need to make sure it stays within the limits.

tweake, Jan 6, 6:19pm
possibly timing but probably higher rail pressure. get all the fuel in quicker.
also egr and turbo control. with remapping you can control the lot which is a much better way of doing it.

one of the guys at work as his car remapped and that was to get around an engine fault. one of the problems with older cars is the emissions systems go faulty and at times not repairable or too expensive to repair.

mechnificent, Jan 6, 6:21pm
If you put more fuel in the consumption goes up.

mechnificent, Jan 6, 6:24pm
I'd trust the manufacturer to have got the balance between reliability, performance and economy/emissions right. They spend mega-bucks figuring it all out.

tweake, Jan 6, 6:24pm
same amount of fuel but injected in a shorter time span.
compared to timing, which is when the start if the injection happens.

mechnificent, Jan 6, 6:25pm
My sons tell me tritons go like stink anyway.

mechnificent, Jan 6, 6:26pm
Yeah I know the difference.
Do you reckon that puts more load on the pistons and bearings ?.

mechnificent, Jan 6, 6:27pm
And do you reckon it makes them get hotter ?

mechnificent, Jan 6, 6:28pm
If you don't advance them, the egt goes up quickly.