Diesel power chip/tuning box

Page 3 / 3
sw20, Jan 8, 1:36pm
LOL love the bit at the end. If your Ranger's 470nm isn't enough. Man up and buy a Landcruiser.

boat3, Jan 8, 2:41pm
400 nm is what i thought too, the auto is apparently 350 nm. hence a bit more would be nice

tweake, Jan 8, 7:23pm
thats because your pouring in more fuel, nothing to do with timing. EGT is not flame temps.

tweake, Jan 8, 7:28pm
have a look at the make of the tuning box.
just check if its a cheap junk box or a decent one.
if its a decent brand keep it.
i would just make sure the radiator and especially intercooler are in good condition. check for cracks or signs of leaks on the intercooler, if you find any replace it.
the downside of chipping an unmodified engine is there is less room for error.

gph1961, Jan 8, 9:32pm
said the girl to the sailor

mrcat1, Jan 8, 9:47pm
Its only a measly 650Nm.

bwg11, Jan 8, 10:12pm
We can't all be Rams

s_nz, Jan 8, 10:44pm
You are correct 400Nm for the manual, 350Nm for the auto.

That in itself does ring some alarm bells for somebody looking to re-map the auto. Clearly the engine is capable of safely generating more torque (as it does in the tune for the manual gearbox). But for some reason, Misti engineers decided to develop a separate lesser tune for engine when coupled to the auto gearbox. Of course outside of the engineering team we will never know why, but it is a good bet that the auto gearbox is only designed to handle 350Nm of input. This isn't a situation like the iLoad van, where the manual gets a cheaper turbo, and hence makes less power & torque than the auto (either to provide a cheaper entry price to cost sensitive buyers, or encourage people to the more expensive higher margin auto van).

Of course there could well be enough safety margin built into gearbox and other drive train components to handle the extra torque but really hard to tell without a detailed knowledge of what breaks when the vehicle is pushed past it's limits.

Personally for a vehicle like a Triton, I would keep my money in my pocket and stick with the factory performance, taking comfort that I haven't done anything to compromise the reliability of the engine.

Also there are some ethical concerns. Any performance focused diesel tune almost certainly ends up with a worse emissions profile (smokey / high NOx etc).

Been doing a bit of reading mostly out of Aussie. Seems there are a lot of people that are happy with their chips / tunes, but a few cases where people have ended up with $10k+ bills for new engines. The chips that just boost rail pressure seem least trusted. Seems like it is quite hard to tell a risky tune from a less risky one. Especially on 70 series cruisers people seem to be push the performance up heaps (+50% torque). Granted the same engine makes a lot more torque / power in the 200 series, but still they must have some serious faith in the drivetrain

tweake, Jan 9, 1:14pm
it may not be due to a weak auto. especially as that still has a 3 ton tow capacity.
it could well be emissions related. afaik they do not have DPF's. one of the issues with auto's (i think more so with the older 4 speeds) is that they generate more soot when they do a gearchange.
for eg nissan around that time period had a DPF fitted to its auto navara, but not the manual.
mitsi simply could have detuned the engine to pass the emissions standard.
i think the next model after that got dpf fitted.

andrew241, Jan 9, 8:53pm
I Want The Drugs That Hes On :)

mrfxit, Jan 9, 9:16pm
Generally speaking .
Top of the line versions of most models only have a small reliable margin of increase available though performance mods, but the base versions often have a large amount of performance hidden via factory detuning for the base models.

Theres been a few brands & models over the years where you can purchase an upgraded performance chip directly from the manufactures factory & simply swap the chips over & you are good to go.
Other brands/ models you have to grab the performance chip from a writeoff sports version & swap the chips over on your budget version model.

I have never had it confirmed but it appears manufactures design the new engines to the top performance version & then detune it for the base models & those factory chip swap situations would seem to confirm the theory

tweake, Jan 9, 9:41pm
i havn't seen that.
tho certainly a few diesels where they have different version of the same engines. however what you have to watch is some have different external parts. ie different turbo and different injection system.
classic example is current navara with twin turbo version and single turbo version. which is interesting as that engine is the Renault M9 (i think) with turbo's added.

mrfxit, Sep 29, 12:56pm
First time I heard of it was for the 90's -ish Falcons
The Navara/ Renault is a classic combo of a Global design.
Basics are the same with different bolt on's.
Imported CKD brands with local content is another of those options that vary the base design.

Certain same year models of small Mazda's/ Fords have the same engines with different manifolds/carbs or injection/ ignition systems fitted & the performance versions simply have high spec computer chips & a much better exhaust system (along with suspension mods of course).

Theres plenty of other examples around of Global cars including NZ's most common daewoo/ holden / public & police versions of both brands