Negotiating with car dealers

Page 2 / 3
toyboy3, Nov 25, 2:08pm
All the cars 🚘 will depreciate at the end of next month

cjohnw, Nov 25, 2:56pm
Bought a brand new car in late 2018, had the dealer ring me about 3 weeks ago to see if I wanted to sell it.
Thought it a bit strange at the time as I’ve never had it before.
Now, thinking about it. . .

vtecintegra, Nov 25, 3:32pm
That isn't strange at all - they all do it to give them a chance of selling you a new car to replace the old one.

kazbanz, Nov 25, 3:59pm
Have a look at the availability of the range of commercial vans in that 10-20k price range. A lot did not have ESC right up to 2020.
That's just one example

kazbanz, Nov 25, 4:00pm
It isn't just C19 affecting the supply chain. Even without C19 there was always going to be a supply issue.

cjohnw, Nov 25, 4:49pm
Yeah everyone knows that, but thing is, he never mentioned trade-in or asked what I might consider replacing it with.
Just asked what the mileage was currently and “would you be interested in selling?”.
Got the distinct impression he was buying, not selling.

nesta129, Nov 25, 9:09pm
probably had a buyer interested in a used model with certain amount of ks but they had none in stock.

vtecintegra, Nov 25, 9:34pm
Sure if you're talking about older vans but evem the state of the ark HiAce had ESC well before 2020. Anywau that's commercial vehicles, it's been standard on most cars for a lot longer (even JDM models that lack other safety features you'd expect in a modern car)

vtecintegra, Nov 25, 9:35pm
Take the car in and see where it leads you - my money would be they'll try and talk you into a trade in.

toenail, Nov 25, 10:34pm
yes as new stock dwindles, dealers want to buy back old cars and sell at a margin.

jap imports have slowed right down, too little supply so auction prices have gone 20-30% higher.

what I see are a lot more Singapore imports coming in, under cutting the Jap imports by a big margin.

cjohnw, Nov 26, 8:17am
Nope. Not for sale. . . yet.

kazbanz, Nov 26, 1:02pm
I suspect theres gonna be a resurgence of singers cars

toyboy3, Nov 26, 1:45pm
singer Vogue?

curlcrown, Nov 26, 4:50pm
If you want a decent price be prepared to follow through with your offer at once. Dealers don't like maybes, so if you make it clear that if you're offer is accepted you will buy it on the spot. Sure, get an inspection done if you wish but do it on the day, of if it is late the next morning. This is where the AA is not ideal, they can take too long to come. When getting an inspection done expect some minor things with a second hand car and make it clear you don not expect it to be perfect. If a major fault is found then you can talk about it then. If the dealer thinks that you are going to be pleasant to deal with and act quickly he, or she is much more likely to do you a good deal than if he thinks it is going to be hard work.

secretgarden88, Nov 26, 5:28pm
Honda Jazz 2017 1.5L 51,000kms $15K to $16K 3 years warranty
what do you think?

kazbanz, Nov 26, 8:30pm
They are a fantastic little car imo

kazbanz, Nov 27, 11:32am
hey sorry guys I wasn't being clear in what I posted.
What I was trying to say was two fold.
1) in the current situation I cant say you should expect a discount anywhere BUT if you don't ask you don't get.
2) As Ive always said/posted do your research. Find out the price range for that year/make/model /cc rating /color choice if its a desirable color.
Armed with that information you have something solid to go on when looking at making an offer. not just expecting every vehicle regardless of where on the price spectrum to be able to be discounted by $*****

tgray, Nov 27, 12:44pm
And don't make an offer on a car that isn't genuine "just to see" if you could get it at that price.
No one likes being screwed around.

erechroy1, Nov 29, 7:18am
We just recently bought a new car. We found while shopping around that dealers were selling at the sticker price and that was that. We found our bargaining power was in our trade in car. They were all saying we cant lower the price, there is no stock etc then also trying to low ball us on our trade in, well if theres no stock you obviously need to give us a fair trade in price. In the end, after a lot of shopping around we paid sticker price for our new car (brand new Acadia, already discounted with the run out deals) from a dealer who gave us the price we wanted on our trade in vehicle. We decided we were not going to pay sticker price anywhere and also accept $5000-$8000 below what we decided our bottom dollar trade in price was. We got a deal we were happy with on the end and the price we wanted for our trade in.

kazbanz, Nov 29, 12:03pm
Im curious. what basis did you have for your bottom dollar trade in figure?
Im not out to burn you in any way just wondering where you got the number from?

erechroy1, Nov 29, 7:34pm
Oh we just looked up what cars like ours were for sale for and knew we would get less than that as a trade but was worth it for the convenience of not having to sell privately or wait for it to sell. Decided on a figure we were comfortable getting with those points in mind and we ended up getting it. But it did require shopping around, walking away from some cars we liked etc.

kazbanz, Nov 30, 8:49am
That's a sensible approach . Awesome

ferrit47, Nov 30, 11:11am
I wont mention the name of dealer.
But recently I brought a secondhand low milage car off local dealership & After we brought the car We discovered the 2 Cardoor Remotes wouldnt work. So we went back & showed him & his reply was We will replace one & wanted us to go half on second one which we said No. The remotes were sold as part of car & we fought with him over it. Anyway cut long story short we ended up paying half but with plan in mind. Wife went down & they installed new ones & I told my wife to bring old ones home so i could see difference in the new ones to old ones. Next morning I emailed dealership & said that unless he refund our money I would go to Fairgo & he emailed me back asking me for Bank Account details & he refunded us staightaway.

i-luv-pie, Nov 30, 12:43pm
I made deposit on a Friday morning which was the second last working day of the month. I was planning to pick it up a few days later on my day off. There was something minor needed to be done to the car. I told the dealer that I would only pay the remaining balance when I collect the car. He rushed me into collecting the car and suggested Sunday pick up. The reason was all sales generated at the end of the month must be completed within that month. It is one of the largest car dealers! Do they really have such a stupid rule? Is not convenient to customers and they don't care if it is a Sunday!

supernova2, Nov 30, 7:27pm
I think that was simply a cutoff date for the salesman's commission. Commission only paid on completed sales.