Toyota Service Plan

Page 1 / 2
midaso, Apr 21, 2:12pm
Hi Fellow Posters,
I would like some advice on the following: I have a 2013 Toyota Corolla Hatchback purchased from the dealer in 2017. The first two services were "free".The last 2 years I have paid around $260 per service. This year is the 90,000 km service and because it is a bigger check they want $626.22. When I asked about a plan (we agreed on 3 years) they offered $582.16 for the 90 000 km service, $266.00 for the 105,000 Km service and $341.99 for the 120,000km service TOTAL $1190.15 for 3 services if paid now. I would like the views of others, esp Toyota owners. What would you do?

nice_lady, Apr 21, 2:32pm
I'd be wanting to know exactly what they're going to do in a 'service'. We own two Huyndai Elantras, (2012-2013), nice car and we have been quite picky about the service activities. A lot of what is done in a service is simple 'inspect' this or that. Like brake hoses, or drive belts, tyre tread wear, or rotate tyres, replace engine oil/filter, inspect vacuum hose, battery condition, drive shaft and boots, fuel filter, air filter, steering gear linkage and boots, tyre pressure. etc etc etc. . well anyway much of this stuff is done during a WOF check, (yeah they check brake hoses, drive belts, exhaust systems, steering linkages and boots, etc then).

Personally I'm not going to pay Dealer mechanical charges, (read high hourly rates), for most of that. Your call.

Edit to say it really pays to check the costs of things. For the last Service we booked they sent a quote. Hubby said please quote EXCLUDING the oil and filter change. The difference was $236 ! To change our oil and filter himself costs us about $80, and that's with very good quality oil.

kazbanz, Apr 21, 2:43pm
you need to confirm that the spark plugs are being REPLACED not just checked at 90000km

midaso, Apr 21, 2:48pm
Carry out 90,000km/6 Year Service Plus.
Includes:- Replace engine oil & oil filter.
Inspect engine coolant level.
Inspect cooling & heater system hoses.
Inspect battery electrolyte, cleanliness & security.
Inspect brake & clutch fluid level.
Inspect drive belt.
Inspect air filter element.
Inspect wheel bearings.
Inspect front & rear brake pads & discs.
Inspect park brake linings & drums.
Inspect brake pipes & hoses.
Inspect fuel cap, fuel lines & connections.
Inspect steering wheel, rack, linkages & boots.
Inspect ball joints & dust covers.
Check drive shaft joints and boots.
Inspect front & rear suspension.
Inspect manual transmission oil level.
Check exhaust system for security & leaks.
Inspect condition & pressures of all tyres including spare.
Tighten wheel nuts to correct torque.
Inspect condition of body and under body/chassis.
Check tension of accessory fasteners (Towbar, Bullbar, Nudge Bar, etc.).
Check brake pedal height & hand brake lever operation.
Check lights, wiper/washers, horn & electrical systems.
Inspect air conditioning operation.
Inspect cabin air filter.
Check for diagnostic trouble codes.
Road test vehicle & report any defects.
Replace brake fluid & clutch fluid.
Bleed brake & clutch system as per manufacturers procedure.
Replace spark plugs.
Replace transmission oil, manual.

Hi Guys, I take your points. Yes I used to do my own oil changes too but now not so convenient so have stopped.

nice_lady, Apr 21, 3:11pm
So I went to a little bit of trouble.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1528014343.jpg

No doubt some professional will shoot me down but over $600 for that ?

midaso, Apr 21, 3:32pm
You did. cheers for that. Oh I forgot to mention I am an old fashioned guy and drive a manual!

midaso, Apr 21, 3:44pm
But from what you have written nice_lady I think you have opened a can of worms and I am thinking the likes of Midas or Pitstop etc can probably do the job for less money

gammelvind, Apr 21, 4:30pm
I service my own car, Mercedes B170, using the same logic. Most of the checks are covered by our wof checks and most of the rest are simple enough if you have a reasonable home workshop. Use quality oils and filters at the recommended intervals and you essentially do everything the dealership does.
The only thing I think you have wrong is the scan time, mine takes 12 minutes as I do 2 scans, one engine off and another engine running.

nice_lady, Apr 21, 4:33pm
Hubby has an obd2 scanner and it's very quick to let you know if there's any engine trouble codes. I dunno but the dealership scanner could be slower OR faster lol.

nice_lady, Apr 21, 4:33pm
Anyway the tech should be checking other stuff while the scan runs?

muppet_slayer, Apr 21, 4:52pm
I have a 2009 Toyota Wish. Done 70,000 now. I get what they call a B service done every 10,000, that's replace oil and filter and basically check everything else. Around $260. I will replace the spark plugs and I just got the trans serviced, cost $550, they dropped the pan and replaced the filter and flushed it using 10ltrs of trans oil. Trans should be done every 30,000 so next one due at 100,000.

I will continue to get just the B service done every 10,000 and they can tell me when the brake pads, coolant, air filter, belts, hoses or brake fluid etc need replacing which get checked during the B service. There will be no 'major' service (usually every 40,000) getting done on it as the things they replace don't necessarily need replacing at those mileages and can be a waste of money.

They have special test equipment now for most things like testing brake fluid and coolant so replacing them every 40,000 is not necessarily necessary anymore especially with better modern coolants and brake fluids around today. Major service times were thought up in a time when none of the testing equipment was around and the fluids were inferior to today's fluids, so there was a lot of wastage and waste of money.

muppet_slayer, Apr 21, 5:20pm
Meant to say.

"Major service times were thought up in a time when none of the testing equipment was around and the fluids were inferior to today's fluids, so they used time intervals rather than testing of the actual fluids like they do today."

curlcrown, Apr 21, 5:50pm
Why pay now for a service you are going to have in three years time? Will you still own the car then? Will the company still be around? Who knows what might happen in the nest three years so unless it is insanely cheap why would you do it?

bitsnpieces2020, Apr 21, 6:30pm
Nobody is going to look at your car for free.

midaso, Apr 21, 7:15pm
What? You astound me!

midaso, Apr 22, 9:33am
Thanks to everyone who commented. Its been an interesting exercise. I have given job to Bridgestone who quoted around $280.00. $300.00 tops.

kazbanz, Apr 22, 9:55am
NO -don't do it.
I'm not a "Toyota service centre" fanboy but I can tell you without hesitation it is not possible to carry out the scheduled service for $300
The plugs alone sell for over $100
That tells be beyond a doubt that they will NOT be carrying out a major service for $300
It will be a basic service and check over.

midaso, Apr 22, 11:09am
Thanks kazbanz. will clarify that when I drop car in

kazbanz, Apr 22, 1:29pm
Just to clarify. its that specific service. So gearbox service. new plugs etc I'm talking about.

3tomany, Apr 22, 2:02pm
I bet they are not doing all that is on your quote from above. I think you are getting half a service for $300

kazbanz, Apr 22, 3:06pm
That IMO is a really safe bet.

cjohnw, Apr 22, 3:45pm
From their web page:

Pricing based on a standard four cylinder petrol vehicle. Additional charges may apply for non-standard or additional parts and additional labour. For selected vehicles this can include oil, oil filter and spark plugs. Please ask in store for details.

midaso, Apr 22, 3:54pm
I expect to get more than "half a service". gave them the sheet and was assured that replacement spark plugs (of the right type) would be used. Haven't used these guys for service before obviously but have always had great service and pricing from them on new tyres. Will be holding them to account and will post the outcome.

midaso, Apr 22, 3:58pm
I think final cost will be more than $300.00 but should still be acceptable compared to Toyota pricing but I may end up with egg on my face. we will see.

nice_lady, Apr 22, 3:59pm
*Interested* in the end result