Toyota Blade

Page 1 / 4
gabby3, Jul 12, 1:07pm
I have just traded my 2.4 Blade after 2 1/2 years. I was impressed with it's power and speed. It was a good little runner and handled well. They do burn through the oil though.

franc123, Jul 12, 4:36pm
Doesn't say much for the Benz does it! Resale on them is crap, I've got a friend trying to dispose of a very tidy NZ new 2006 CLK with a mere 120k on it and FSH from an official agent and he is getting bugger all bites even at a mere $5k asking price. Nice car but not particularly fast or practical and is obviously not going to hang together s well long term as a Toyota. Pretty sad when a Corolla with a Camry engine thrown in it that's so vastly inferior to the Euro car snobs who see fit to make dumb comparisons between two totally different vehicles is worth much more in the used market.

toenail, Jul 12, 6:08pm
avoid the 2.4L engine at all cost, it burns oil and you have to keep topping up. That's why they are so cheap and Japan can't wait till NZ takes all their domestic stock so Toyota Japan don't have to deal with the engine.

gunhand, Jul 12, 6:25pm
Really?

gunhand, Jul 12, 6:59pm
So this every 2.4 then? I will avoid them if this is the case.

sw20, Jul 12, 7:31pm
I'm looking at moving my Blade Master on, was going to sell it to a work colleagues fiancé but she didn't want to pay the money for the better version. So she bought the 2.4. Now they have learned about the oil use.

bigfatmat1, Jul 12, 7:39pm
there is like 60kgs diff between the two. R32 has launch control as well. Blade master g is a car to get to bowls or the rsa The golf r32 is for hairdressers to race round in on a Friday night

poppy62, Jul 12, 7:49pm
Some on here are in denial and have a problem accepting that Toyotas have big issues. I'm happy that the myth persists , makes my market a whole lot better to buy in.

poppy62, Jul 12, 7:51pm
Bit surprized there mate! I thought it was your "Forever" car.

sw20, Jul 12, 9:15pm
Nah my '85 Corolla GT is my forever car. 372,000kms. Doesn't leak nor burn oil. Revviest engine this side of a rotary. Get positive comments every time I drive it.

meow_mix, Jul 12, 9:54pm
People often say the Blade isn't a hot hatch, but the original concept of a hot hatch was a big engine in a small car. I wouldn't call the Blade a supercar, but a hot hatch it certainly is.

poppy62, Jul 12, 10:23pm
Rubbish, you're guessing again. it was the Autobianchi A112 Abarth (1050cc) followed by the Simca 1100TI /1204TI 1973. Then the VW Golf 1.6L 1976. It wasn't till the Peugeot 205 GTi that the engine size increased to 1.9L

gazzat22, Jul 13, 10:28am
Is your driving that bad?

gazzat22, Jul 13, 10:31am
Not if they,ve been serviced properly with anything but Warehouse oil.!

gazzat22, Jul 13, 10:34am
And some have a bigger problem accepting that Euro,s arent the perfect car!

gazzat22, Jul 13, 10:42am
Yes it makes one wonder why Toyota is one of ,if not the top selling car world wide unlike some of the Euro Trash.Its a contest as to the greater cost owning a Euro viz the cost of repairs and maintenance or depreciation.

sw20, Jul 13, 11:09am
Don't you drive your mum's Demio?

gazzat22, Jul 13, 11:43am
My Mum passed away 17 years ago but she never owned a Demio. Have you?

tamarillo, Jul 17, 10:32pm
Great that there are so many choices to suit tastes. At mates and been out today in his 2.4 blade. No hot hatch just a smooth smaller cruiser in traditional GT style and very soft which suits him completely. It’s no Lexus and is front drive anyway.
For his needs it’s perfect.

kazbanz, Jul 18, 8:10am
My car is the Mark x zio- as in the one I’m putting the most miles on . It’s at a bit over 250 k now . Mechanically it’s the same as the Blade . Oil and filter get done at 15000 k intervals - l put in an extra 500 ml of oil between changes if it’s long 150 k plus drives - that’s been my experience of the 2.4 engine

toenail, Jul 18, 10:08am
yes all the 2.4 (2AR-FE) until year 2011 where Toyota implemented the fix. So 2012+ Lexus HS250H, Camry's, RAV4 are all fine and burns no oil. Some burn a little, some so mucht that you'll be topping up. You'll even find this in tribunal cases where the seller had to compensate the buyer. Toyota Japan and Toyota USA are the only two counties where the warranty is extented to cover oil consumption of this engine if the oil consumption test is failed by the service centre. Note that Toyota NZ does not cover this fault.

toenail, Jul 18, 10:18am
What are you going to buy next? Had your Blade for a very long time!
You should move up to a NA 5.0L in the Lexus. GSF or ISF.

gazzat22, Jul 18, 10:59am
My daughter has had a 2.4 Blade for 3 years now Apart from putting a good engine flush(Amsoil) through it and regular oil changes with a good oil it uses precisley NONE. Most if not all the problems appear to be caused by lack of regular servicing and the use of crappy cheap oils which is far too common in NZ.

toenail, Jul 18, 11:23am
It is widespread enough and a common issue and is not attributed to crappy oil. If its due to incorrect use of oil why would Toyota spend tens of of millions of dollars fixing it for customers whos car already ran out of warranty?

Again with manufactoring tolerances not everyone is going to hit the jack pot so count yourself lucky. But advising others that the engine has no issue is bad advice.

http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/Toyota-2AZ-FE_TSB-009411_201108.pdf Directly from Toyota Japan (it is due to negative oil pressure when the engine is operating at medium to low RPM):
For people who are buying imports from Japan with the 2.4, check the below with your Chassis to see if you're impacted:

https://toyota.jp/recall/kaisyu/141126.html

sw20, Jul 18, 11:51am
Over four years and 65,000km of motoring. Cost me two sets of tyres lols. A set of sparkplugs. One battery, one set of discs/pads and oil and filter services.

I’m actually thinking of getting a hybrid. I do a bit of delivery and collection work on the side. Not interested in electric at this stage.