How much would it cost to have an Alternator

maryanne19, Oct 31, 8:59am
replaced in my Toyota Fun Cargo please?
Thank you in anticipation

msigg, Oct 31, 9:29am
Approx $ 400.

gazzat22, Oct 31, 9:51am
Ring around. Depends on having your one reconditioned or a new one.Any Auto Electrician will be able to give you prices for supply and fit.

maryanne19, Oct 31, 10:04am
I am very grateful for your responses and enjoy the weekend
All the best

gazzat22, Oct 31, 10:39am
As an afterthought presumably you have had it tested/checked, but a good sparky will do that.

yz490, Oct 31, 10:51am
I'll second that from gazzat22 above. I guess it's been diagnosed. Bit more info please, got interested now. Does battery not charge when running. Do headlights rise in brightness slightly from an idle [if it'll idle slow enough] say between 1800 revs & 2500 if you bring the revs up & down watching the lights in the dark on the garage door.

kazbanz, Oct 31, 12:10pm
With a cold engine its a 15 minute job in any of the 1.3 or 1.5 Funcargo's
A new alternator is around $300.00
15-21 year old car I'm thinking yea alt is probably due to be replaced.

yz490, Oct 31, 2:28pm
Might get a brush set for $25 like i got for my Toyota [was years ago though]. Mind you it wasn't a fun Cargo & wasn't Fun at all--mid "80's Grande rusting away.

intrade, Nov 1, 9:41am
i would see if it can be recond . as new stuff if cheap from onhanglow factory often dont have grease in bearings. and you can guess how long that will last.
i had geniuen skf front wheel bearing for a reason i had to pull the hub off again sealed bearing split open and there was as good as no grease inside. refilled it with good grease . Seems to be the trend in last 10 years to fit litlle to no grease in bearings.

maryanne19, Nov 14, 2:54pm
Well what an interesting time sorting out the problem of my ongoing flat battery.
The last AA Serviceman came and I purchased a Battery Charger from him
My husband made an appointment for me to take my car to THOMSEN AUTOMOTIVE
Their diagnosis was the stereo system was draining the battery so the radio was disconnected - no more flat batteries.
Abtec Audio Lounge had fitted a security and stereo system 4 - 5 years ago.
We had had trouble with the radio as it was very complex to operate so I just took it out - I should have gone back to Abtec about this but didn't.
I went back about this and they confirmed that was the problem so they repaired that free and fitted a new radio .
My experience with both of these Services was incredible- outstanding courteous friendly service and I would certainly recommend them both.
Sincere thanks to all of you readers who responded to my original query and have an amazing weekend

intrade, Oct 24, 3:47pm
So just imagine what would have happened if you changed the alternator.
on modern cars you have problems like this and about 100 things that could be responsible . And no there usually is no codes there will be a flood of codes all not what the actuarl cause are or one of the many ones would lead you by testing for 20h to the problem. funcargos are the last of the reliable toyotas "imo"