Alternator failing at 75,000ks?

wind.turbine, Jul 13, 6:47pm

bigfatmat1, Jul 13, 8:50pm
that second photo looks more like a failure of the clutch pulley.

timbatrader, Jul 15, 4:48pm
It depends on the bearing use for high speed bearings it is common for them to fail because they have been over greased which results in getting hot and failing low speed applications heaps of grease high speed use grease sparingly

tgray, Jul 15, 5:39pm
It's a 16 year old car and even with those K's, there will be multiple things that would be expected to fail at that age.

intrade, Jul 10, 5:40pm
yup pretty normal its all total garbage these days geniuen bosch also onhanglow garbage . to be fair the ones i seen broken was sold cheap on ebay but bosch showed it was geniuen bosch contact sticking due to low battery voltage old dead battery was reason given for nuked new starter motor. its al, one big onhenglow global nightmare. corner cutting R&D to up profit from 2005 onwards so your doing quite well with a 2004 lasting that long .

strobo, Jul 10, 5:40pm
Another reason for early failure is If the drive belt tension is too tight the bearing can pack up & collapse . generating heat , etc etc . Is important to have the correct tension on the pulley bearing ,years ago its 1/2" flex in the middle of the longest part of the belt section ie between the pulleys pressed in with thumb.not too loose and not too tight .Nowadays there are fancy tension measuring stick for getting it right.Its common to see the belts done to tight i mean too farkin tight,no need ,they must be thinking this one wont squeel but give it time and and it will start knockin and cooking.

intrade, Jul 10, 5:42pm
thats true plus the grease is 16 years old in all bearings.

strobo, Jul 10, 5:55pm
And have to say sealed bearings are not what they used to be.they should be packed with EP grease like molybdenum disulphide not the general multi purpose wheel bearing stuff i see.
i repacked all new pk pulley bearings on my commodore with ep ,i know when i fitted new bearings2 years ago and checked them 2 years later that curiosity proved my point. The factory grease isn't masticky enough. it heats up and weeps from the seals untill the bearing becomes dry. ,the grease becomes crusty.

intrade, Jul 10, 6:00pm
yea i had to pull apart my bora wheel bearing hub again because somone f---kd with the outer part in a lathe and it was tilting in the bearing . so the skf bearing sealed was pulled apart and i found almost no grease inside. repacked it with grease. most worry is waterpumps what if they also dont have any grease in them you cant do anything there. And i know my cambelt on the astra failed due to the new waterpump failing .

strobo, Jul 10, 6:13pm
for the most the complaint of squeeling belts is party due to semi seized bearings,not always the drive belt being too loose.

bigfatmat1, Jul 10, 6:14pm
K24 alternators are pretty shitty. Nipping denso really dropped the ball with those ones. Biggest failure on them is rectifiers closely followed by regs. Belt is auto tensioned and the bearings are pretty robust.

strobo, Jul 10, 6:19pm
Id expect and auto tensioner to work fine too.you may just have an alternator along the lines of made to do one job and one job only,they don't make them like they use too for many reasons ,huge mass production for 1!, ive seen late model trucks low ks with rooted alternators and have asked my self questions too like you ,use to be very rare an alteranator had to be replaced. Like water pumps use to last for ever now alloy body garbage ,one car i went through 2 water pumps a year,one i replaced within a week due to the pressed on pulley coming off down the road loosing power steer,alt and cooling! not an interference fitted pulley bugger me! manufacturer fault.

wind.turbine, Jul 10, 6:34pm
Had this same thing happen on our 2014 colarado which was still under 5 year warranty at the time of failure.

On a trip out to the middle of no where one day it randomly brought up the batt light, it went out again 5 min later then intermittently came back on and off before all of a sudden lots of noise and smoke.
It had completely destroyed the front bearing in the alternator throwing bits of bearing everywhere.

I could not remove the belt and run it back to the dealership without it as the stupid one belt design means you lose the cooling fan as it was a long tow back up to whangarei without the luxury of power steering :)

fast forward a year later, the tensioner starts failing to keep tension making the belt slip when the steering it loaded up, I do now wounder if this was the cause if the bearing failure.

strobo, Jul 10, 6:46pm
#11 agree on the auto tensioner, very rarely but have had to replace a few in the past

franc123, Jul 11, 2:15pm
That's a known problem and Holden are well and truly aware of it it can indeed cause sudden power steer failure. They should have been recalled for it but haven't been, which is stupid and a public safety issue given all the other silly BS reasons they're recalled cars for. The alternator decouplers also fail on them too.

marte, Dec 23, 5:54pm
Battery light going on & off sounds like bad brushes. That's what happened to mine.
I bought new brushes for $6 & replaced just them.