SUV's

Page 2 / 4
djrandomguy, Nov 19, 2:27pm
There goes your useable load space ;p

tygertung, Nov 19, 3:25pm
We've got two children and find that the Lancer wagon we have has sufficient room, but if you want more, a legacy would be a good option like previously suggested.

monaro17, Nov 19, 5:33pm
Indeed your comments are valid but the SV6 you are referring to has the old “hi output” V6 with the 5 speed auto. The slightly later (late 09 onwards) have the SIDI V6 fitted to the 6speed auto. The difference between the two is night and day. As for the Lexus I cannot comment on driving a 6cyl one but from your account they seem great! I drove a couple of GS430/460 and they were nice, unfortunately the rear legroom and particularly headroom was very sub par. Very good value for money though

s_nz, Nov 19, 5:39pm
Good point.

If OP doesn't need the utility of a wagon, a sedan would deliver substantially better value in the used market. The bigger sedans still have pretty large boots. OP's budget could even get them an LS, lexus's flagship car, which retails for $225k today. The GS is a little smaller and more sport focused which could appeal to OP.

jesus2000, Nov 19, 6:20pm
Even a SIDI would not come anywhere near the GS. Here's one page of results of the same strip on the same day.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZCrgKGs13iVakNcj6

I have seen VF SV6's doing only mid 15s there.

morrisjvan, Nov 19, 6:44pm
I would get a wagon, after all a SUV is only a station wagon at an inconvienient height.

monaro17, Nov 19, 7:42pm
Your recorded time sure is an impressive one, far exceeds the factory claim too - especially when the 460 model supposedly does the quarter in 13.6.

I might have to take one for a wee drive

likit, Nov 19, 9:00pm
VF SV6 14.6 1/4 mile time, nothing to complain about. The same publication quotes 2008 Lexus GS350 doing the 1/4 mile in 14.7

jesus2000, Nov 19, 10:25pm
Specification 1/4 miles times don't mean much.

s_nz, Nov 20, 12:10am
Was that your GS?

If it is the 2008 GS350, it seems way quicker than the factory time and what would be expected from 225kW in a heavy luxury car.

Time is roughly what would be expected from the GS450h (quarter mile quoted in 13.5 sec) Same 3.5L engine, but an electric motor chipping in too bringing the total system power to 254kw.

Sadly the hybrid stuff eats into the boot space of the GS450h of that era, and a pity Lexus never made a wagon or SUV built on the GS or LS platform. The specs of my RX suck in comparison, despite it commanding a similar price in the used market.

ronaldo8, Nov 20, 1:28am
The X5 is an utter lemon, run, run far, run fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc0o6Cs96Kc

jesus2000, Nov 20, 7:12am
Yes that's my GS. Stock apart from making the lower air box look like an FSport one ( https://youtu.be/ku6mQ0jCR0M?t=126 ) and replacing the stock mufflers with more free flowing ones. I'm fussy with maintenance like cleaning the throttle body and mass air flow sensor etc. And running on 100 octane from NPD.

One big advantage the car has is that it's quite aerodynamic in shape and has a low drag coefficient.

jesus2000, Nov 20, 7:14am
As the OP said. "Sold my golf as it was too small in the back seat for the kids". a GS350 could be fine for them. Depends if totalimp has kids and say sports or camping gear in mind for trips, or just the kids themselves without too much other gear. Sure if kids and camping trips is what the OP is thinking about, then yes a SUV or station wagon may be more practical.

vtecintegra, Nov 20, 8:41am
GS has more legroom but way less rear headroom than the Golf - how much of an issue this is will depend on what sort of car seats the kids are in

tamarillo, Nov 20, 8:43am
Commodore wagons are great, and cool in sv6 spec. Go for it

annie17111, Nov 20, 9:48am
I had the same dilema when my Camry got too small in the backseat for my growing kids. Ended up getting a 2wd double cab ute and it's been really handy.

supernova2, Nov 20, 10:49am
Sorry to say it but if you need to carry kids and all their "must have items" then you need a van. What's with people these days? Think back to your parents. In most cases they probably carried a family of 5 in a Cortina, Viva, Hunter or similar. These days we all think we need a gas guzzling diesel 4WD just to go buy the groceries.
Even worse a double cab ute. That's just a car with no boot and horrible road manners.

tygertung, Nov 20, 11:18am
4WD truck is a waste of time unless you actually regularly go off-road.

Poor road handling, dangerous for the occupants of the vehicle, and all other road users, pedestrians etc, use heaps of fuel, rubbish for parking, and just overall rude.

If you are using it for actual off-road purposes, that is a different case.

If you want to do heavy towing, you'd be better off with a large car.

jesus2000, Nov 20, 12:52pm
A lot of people are a lot fatter these days.

loose.unit8, Nov 20, 12:59pm
Impair everyone else's vision of the road when turning beside one

loose.unit8, Nov 20, 1:00pm
What about a Subaru XV (hybrid)?

totalimp, Nov 20, 1:16pm
supernova2 wrote:
Sorry to say it but if you need to carry kids and all their "must have items" then you need a van. What's with people these days? Think back to your parents. In most cases they probably carried a family of 5 in a Cortina, Viva, Hunter or similar. These days we all think we need a gas guzzling diesel 4WD just to go buy the groceries.
Even worse a double cab ute. That's just a car with no boot and horrible road manners.[/quote

What is it with people these days making assumptions about lifestyle? Geez. Ask for some simple car advise and all of a sudden a big car is a waste on the road cause all mums do is get groceries. Go away with your assumptions of horrible road manners based simply on what (and how) some people drive.

annie17111, Nov 20, 1:16pm
my double cab ute has a lot more usable boot space than my station wagon ever did. Also if the dog rolls in something dead down at the river, it doesn't stink my whole car out. And in a crash, I'd rather be in my ute than the camry I had beforehand. I do live in a small town though so long trips and very few times I drive around cities in it.

totalimp, Nov 20, 1:22pm
We do go offroad. We have a boat. We are looking at a caravan. Our address is a RD1 address.
I dont want to spend more than 16K on a car as I don't want to borrow, or use savings. It's what i got for my previous car so thats what i'm spending on a car. I don't mind paying more for petrol because i have a good job and given i travel 3 odd hours a day, i'm happy to pay more for a little comfort, I work hard, i have a full time job and 2 kids to ship off to school. We go camping, we go on day trips, our boys LOVE being outside - so we take scooters, bikes, skateboards, balls, changes of clothes for them. We dont' sit inside all day playing boardgames or videogames. So yes, a gas guzzling diesel to go and buy the groceries is extreme but we actually get the groceries delivered so thats really not an issue.
Also, i drink alot of wine and hubby drinks alot of beer so i need a big boot for the top up shops.

vtecintegra, Nov 20, 1:54pm
'Horrible road manners' would have been referring to how poorly those type of vehicles drive on sealed roads.

Anyway by buying a large off-road orientated 4WD you are going to be much less comfortable than you would be in a crossover (unless you are actually off road)