SUV's

Page 1 / 4
totalimp, Nov 18, 10:07am
Looks like at 32 years old i'm gonna be one of those mums. Sold my golf as it was too small in the back seat for the kids, and have $16K to spend. Initially was going to get a circa 2006 v6 prado but hubby has nearly convinced me to get a bmw diesel x5. I didn't want an suv, wanted a 4wd hence the prado but i guess they're all suv's anyway right? i hate car shopping, can never find anything that i love within reach. no one cares about the car you drive though do they?! I don't want to be that mum that just looks like someone with too much money went and bought an suv cause they don't care about life anymore. Please help make me feel better about becoming an suv owner rather than a 4wd owner

meow_mix, Nov 18, 10:56am
Well I wouldn't buy either of those for your $16K, the Prado is a serious off-roader and cost a lot when new, so you won't get good value for money, but Toyota SUVs are very good, maybe look at a RAV4, later ones are quite roomy inside. I can't recommend the BMW X5, again expensive and can be unreliable, stick to mid-size Japanese SUVs or "softroaders".

xs1100, Nov 18, 11:02am
look at a 3,0l o4 on Jeep mercedes engine and trans and brilliant vechile and well with in budget

3tomany, Nov 18, 11:10am
16k is a hard number to get a good SUV out of. Every BMW for that money i have has experience with has been a dog, remember they were 130k new so devalue to 16k for a reason. Try and avoid an suv with a CVT transmission at that budget also as it can be hit and miss as to how much life it has left.
You my need to go a size smaller like RAV4, Kuga/escape etc but avoid Craptiva. Like i said tough at your budget.

vtecintegra, Nov 18, 11:35am
Kinda depends on how much space you want in the back. The smaller CUVs (Rav4/Kuga etc) don't offer much more length than the Golf so aren't going to be any better for bulky rear facing seats. If you've gone forward facing any of them should be okay but then again so should the Golf.

Any of the crossovers (including large ones like the Highlander and CX-9) are going to be much better to live with on the road than a body on frame SUV like the Prado.

s_nz, Nov 18, 11:40am
SUV refers to the body shape. Both the prado and x5 are considered SUVs. The Prado based on a truck style chassis sometimes referred to as a 4x4, where the X5 is based on a car style unibody platform often referred to as a soft reader or crossover suv.

The Prado will be much better off road than a crossover, and much better at towing heavy stuff (2000kg+), but it is slower, worse handling, and has a more compromised interior due to the space occupied by the frame.

The full frame, low range 4x4s command a high price. Your $16k will only buy you an old, high mileage, tired prado.

Unless you need the likes of a prado offers, they generally offer poor value. Could look at the ssangyong rexton or jeep grand Cherokee if you want a more modern vehicle within your budget.

Counterpoint is that they also depreciate less than softer SUV's. Even one with which has been beaten up and has crazy high mileage still commands a few thousand dollars.

In terms of soft roaders, the x5 would not be my pick in your budget. They are nice vehicles, but very complex and expensive to fix if they break. Consider mid to large Japanese soft readers. Rav4, highlander, Outlander or similar.

I have a Lexus rx400h which I really like.could be worth considering. Might even be able to get its successor the rx450h in your budget.

Could also consider wagons. Mazda 6 wagon is fairly nice.

intrade, Nov 18, 11:43am
a lot of them have a electronic denso pump that you cant repair nor get parts . and testing alone is 1800$ just to fit it on the bech on any old injector pump with electronics= the worst of both world you either want full mechanical thats like before 1990 bid 90s or D4D at least you can still repair a D4 with expensive parts.

Having said that why a suv. Why dont we all go buy tractor units like the new tesla truck so we can be sitting higher then anyone else and use 3 parking spaces when we go shopping?

djrandomguy, Nov 18, 11:48am
compare actual load space of an SUV with a decent station wagon.
SUVS especially 4wd ones sacrifice load space to the drive train and suspension and the load space floor is often quite high up, from the outside the look big, but google load space volume and you'll find they fall short.

perception vs reality

meow_mix, Nov 18, 11:57am
As above, you may not need an SUV if you just need more rear seat room, you will get the best comfort, space, and value for money from a larger saloon car than the Golf, but please don't buy a VW Passat for your $16K, and avoid anything else Euro like BMW 5 series, these are only good cars when brand new. You could get a nice Holden Commodore of Ford Falcon which are very roomy inside, or if you want a Japper then Subaru Legacy, Honda Accord or Toyota Camry are good options and larger than the Golf.

trogedon, Nov 18, 11:57am
Buy a stationwagon.

s_nz, Nov 18, 1:02pm
With regards to the Prado, just noticed you were considering the v6 petrol. There is one of these on trade-me inside your budget, and at reasonable km.

Note that there is a reason these are cheap. They are regarded as quite thirsty. Rated 13.1L/100km. As with most cars, expect a bit more in the real world (especially if your running involves city traffic, lots of hills etc.

If your annual distance traveled is fairly low this might not be a big deal. But if are doing big distances you really want the diesel (and will need to tolerate it being fairly slow).

meow_mix, Nov 18, 1:32pm
The Prado is the wrong vehicle for the OP who is used to driving a little VW Golf, getting into the Prado she will feel like she's driving a Hummer.

Totalimp you need to sit down and talk to your husband and show him this thread. Do you need a large SUV or will a regular car do? Do you want a flashy but unreliable Euro like a BMW?

trogedon, Nov 18, 1:48pm
A Japanese one ;-)

totalimp, Nov 18, 2:04pm
I used to drive a safari, and a patrol, and a wrangler, I've also owned utes not that they are big. Not to mention i have my class 2 license and have driven trucks. A prado most certainly does not feel like a hummer compared to a golf. Also, euros aren't always unreliable, some are absolutely. Its usually kiwis who can't afford to service and repair them correctly, or people who run them on 91 fuel and wonder why.

totalimp, Nov 18, 2:05pm
I can't tolerate slow, thats my issue. My brother suggested the v6 for that reason over a diesel. Fuel consumption isn't a concern.

totalimp, Nov 18, 2:11pm
I don't like the half assed suvs, the crossovers or softroaders. I don't like the look of a rav4, or highlander. Same with outlanders, the rextons, xtrails and similar. I like euros as they have the comforts but the repairs scare me off. Having said that X5 is really the only euro suv i'd consider and because they come in diesel hubby was keen.
I agree with the prados, they're all fairly high kms and the risk of getting a lemon is almost up there with an X5.
So i started looking at commodore wagons, they could work. Bit worried i look like a boy racer?! But there's anice one in palmy that could fit. I discounted sedans and station wagons for the simple reason of driving into a driveway and not worrying about the bumper lol. But maybe i should look at the station wagons again. Hubby has just bought an MUX so i don't need to look for a 7 seater as i initially thought which is good.
Any thing to look out for specifically with wagons? Any years of commodores to avoid?

totalimp, Nov 18, 2:14pm
Sorry can you clarify for me please? A 3L mercedes? Any specific model? We had a jeep wrangler so i'm done with them really. I do like the grand cherokees though

msigg, Nov 18, 2:18pm
For that price get the rav4 which is the most reliable or get the honda crv
Out of your first post the prado is the superior vehicle. Each to their own.

monaro17, Nov 18, 2:29pm
Heavens. With respect, each time I read a post like this it really proves some people are so out of touch with automotive reality. Absolutely incorrect blanket statements and assumptions

vtecintegra, Nov 18, 2:38pm
The X5 is the very definition of a crossover/softroader so I don't know why you'd consider one.

The old Grand Cherokee used a Mercedes Benz diesel, newer ones use a generic VM/Fiat V6. GC is a softroader too though.

totalimp, Nov 18, 2:53pm
Hubby was keen on the x5 and i'm fed up with me so was just going along with it.
The older GCs are more boxy which is what i like lol. But i've found a couple of commodore wagons so might go for one of them

meow_mix, Nov 18, 3:55pm
I think the Commodore is an excellent choice, spacious, powerful, rugged and reliable, parts are plentiful and Kiwi garages are familiar with servicing them. The VE/VF Commodores are great cars, a cut above the older VT based ones which I also liked, you could even look around for a V8 wagon which would be nice.

lythande1, Nov 18, 4:29pm
Er. SUV and 4WD are not necessarily different you know.
And yes some of us do care about what we drive.
I have an SUV, ecause:
A)Now we're old it's easier than a low car getting in and out
B)They tend to have better protection in a crash (although it does depend)
C)We wanted room for stuff. not having a ute anymore. don't NEED a ute but still wanted the space.
Love it.

socram, Nov 18, 8:44pm
I agree with another poster. Have a look at a decent station wagon. Luggage capacity in most family SUVs is abysmal and there is no more legroom.

Of all the vehicles I have driven in recent years, but not owned, one of the two that stands out the most is the Skoda Octavia (saloon). Huge boot. Nice to drive.

s_nz, Nov 19, 1:40am
Bumper on the omega looks to sit a little higher than the SV6 above if that is a major concern for OP.