Police car colours.

Page 1 / 2
topzone, Nov 25, 7:00am
I've been watching a lame NZ police show (about the best thing on TV ATM) seems all the new cars are orange.
That and the combination of low profile top lights, seems to make them less visible than ever, what on earth is the rationale behind these changes !
The first time I saw the low profile top lights, I thought hmm . . . that makes em harder to spot.
And yet they have preached, how the visibility of their vehicles on the roads acts as a deterrent ?

skiff1, Nov 25, 7:01am
Yeah, I find it difficult to spot bright orange cars too.

topzone, Nov 25, 7:02am
I would say dull orange.

dr.doolittle, Nov 25, 7:04am
Well if your topzone is working I feel sure you'll notice their bright flashing, but low profile lights.

dr.doolittle, Nov 25, 7:05am
As a matter of interest, why do you need to spot them?

cagivachick1, Nov 25, 7:06am
i have no problem spotting them, perhaps you need spectacles

topzone, Nov 25, 7:06am
Ha, by the time you see the light flashing you can doolittle.

topzone, Nov 25, 7:09am
dr.doolittle wrote:
As a matter of interest, why do you need to spot them?[/q

The police have always claimed visibility as a road safety component.

dr.doolittle, Nov 25, 7:09am
Busted!

clatty, Nov 25, 7:21am
I think a cop might crash into somebody. A few days we headed towards Auckland and after passing the Quarries at Waitakaruru my wife said watch out there is a police car coming . It was on our side of the road over double yellow lines. Trying to pass about 10 cars. I got perfect long distance sight but she saw the car first, These orange beast are a game changer and about time!

topzone, Nov 25, 7:27am
Well said, visibility promotes road safety, being hard to spot promotes revenue.

dr.doolittle, Nov 25, 7:28am
I think they should be silver or white with no other distinguishing marks.

berg, Nov 25, 7:30am
Low profile lights, better fuel economy. Saving to the taxpayer. And, as for the colour, no "special white cars" anymore. I think we just get whatever color comes off the line. Already red and green ones up here

topzone, Nov 25, 7:42am
Just did a google search, Battenburg markings are still the most common in the western world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battenburg_markings

socram, Nov 25, 7:56am
Haven't seen a green marked car but they have switched officially to red/orange for the new cars - but still heaps of white ones around.

jmma, Nov 25, 9:40am
The colour ones are easier to sell and get better money when they have finished with them, read that somewhere (o:

marte, Nov 25, 12:03pm
They also have only one headlight, no numberplate lights and no brake or tail lights.
Well the last one I saw did.

oldboyjohn, Nov 25, 8:03pm
Also their indicators seem to be disabled at the factory

rob_man, Nov 25, 9:29pm
So I can adjust my speed to their requirements in time to avoid a financial penalty or actually stop at a stop sign if there's a cop nearby.
Why else?

elect70, Nov 25, 11:44pm
The low profile light bar is a really wing to keep it on the road while chasing speeders .

ema1, Nov 26, 4:23am
Boy you do have a problem. takes note. don't go out and buy a bright orange car, 'cause I might not be seen while driving it?
Going by some folks performance I'd wager to say some have a marked problem seeing any coloured car or indeed traffic lights to boot, plus various coloured road markings for that matter.

bashfulbro, Nov 26, 4:48am
Stealth, it is guaranteed to gather more revenue, because they are far less visible, In Texas they do the same thing ,with Corvettes, Dodge Vipers etc, and they are all colours, grey, black, blue etc.

tgray, Nov 26, 5:16am
Let's bring back the black and white colours.
And enough of this "hi mate, how's it going?" intro from the cops when pulling up a car.
Too matey, matey and not professional in my opinion.
I would also like to see them cover their tats and have a shave, but that's another story.

skiff1, Nov 26, 5:26am
and there I was thinking my sarcasm was blindingly obvious, like an orange car for example.

skiff1, Nov 26, 5:27am
there is a whiff of grumpy old codger in this post.