Toyota 2gr-fe.3.5 v6 anyone had this?

phalanax, Jul 31, 5:51am
These engines are fitted to various models from what I gather the model years 2007 -2010. Ive come across some internet info pertaining to the vvti hydraulic actuator pressure line. basically it says be aware that if you have a metal/ rubber vvti actuator line (external oil pressure line that has a rubber joiner rather than solid line) this may fail around 45ooo miles to 70ooo miles. It is easyto see if you have the rubber or solid line by checking under the hood far left, right hand side under the brake fluid reseviuor you will see a metal pipe that is near the firewall (not on) that goes in a sort of L shape from the top of the engine dropping down under a casing disappearing down to the block. if this has a rubber hose and clip on it be aware (easy too see) . it may fail. if you do an internet search 2gr-fe burst oil pressure line you can get more info on it. toyota replaced the rubber metal pipe with an all metal line possibly 2009. they did for a while offer free service in the states and canada for this. but some folk say they only replaced the rubber. there is a solid metal line replacement part available. if this rubber bursts you will not get an oil pressure warning light. according to posters

kazbanz, Jul 31, 6:37am
The engines concerned were I think manufactured in the states. I don't think the Jap manufactured engines had the same issue.

phalanax, Jul 31, 11:31pm
Not smart putting a rubber hose in the middle of an oil pressure line, I mean whats the point. if the rubber is making the component cheaper , why not just make the whole line from rubber ?. Ive got one and its got the rubber fitting , I suppose it comes down to the quality of this fitting and its durability. I see they later went on to replace the fitting with an all metal line at some stage thru production. this in itself means they didnt think it was up too scratch. Im under warranty and if it leaks it will mean the engine runs dry, apparently the oil pressure light doesnt activate , first warning is apparently smoke burning off the mufflers or a squeeky accessory belt. the upgrade part is not expensive . Im thinking of just replacing the line with it. I dont want to be caught out on the desert road even if I do have a warranty and free towing etc. Might order the parts (washers on this line etc have to be replaced as well) and sneak it on as I cant see them doing it under warranty if it hasnt failed. dont want to end up with a fixed engine thats been run dry and rattles. I need reliable. lol

phalanax, Jul 31, 11:52pm
Then at least I know Im good to go for a good 100,000 kms. Everything has an archilles heel and this might be it for this particular engine. the manufacturer didnt change the part to all metal for nothing im guessing. not even sure the warranty covers belts and hoses. folk can be tricky about coughing up dosh. 3 hours at home in the garage sorting it might be better than waiting for a tow truck and a night in some seedy motel . lol

cordia_4g63t, Aug 1, 5:47am
I have a 2006 Toyota Aurion SX6 Sportivo which has 202,000km on it and the original rubber hose is still holding up fine. I have read that it is quite a common problem overseas though, and changing that hose/line is a right pain due to the lack of space in the engine bay, but so far so good. The rubber lines for the oil cooler can experience a similar problem, so, as you mentioned, Toyota changed to full metal lines on the last of the facelift GSV40 shape and on the newest GSV50 shape.

Their original replacement for the defective rubber VVT-i pressure line was another one made from rubber, just better quality (indicated by a yellow dash on the hose so you know it's the 'revised' design). I have both metal lines (VVT-i line and oil cooler lines) sitting here just in case, but fingers crossed I won't have to put them to use anytime soon :)

phalanax, Aug 3, 12:59am
Yep. thanx for that . will check it out. theres a few vids on ytube on how to change it .

cordia_4g63t, Aug 9, 7:51am
Looks like I might have jinxed myself the other week as a few days ago I started noticing a few small oil drips on the garage floor. They're not an easy car to get under with a standard trolley jack so on Thursday I had the car inspected by a mechanic and, sure enough, the leak was coming from a VERY tiny slit in that rubber VVTi hose. I ended up replacing it with the full metal line so that it will never leak again. The labour ended up costing $250, but I'm glad I caught it in time before the hose actually ruptured and caused catastrophic engine damage.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/402583443.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/402583429.jpg

phalanax, Aug 9, 8:05am
Yep ive got the part numbers. Im gonna change mine. mines only low kms at the moment but its definately on my too do list. why they made such a fatal error with this line is beyond me. I can understand full rubber or full metal but a mix is just asking for trouble. Best way from what ive read is to go from under the car. take the wheel off. I suspect theres alot of these on the road in various guises. you got the right part. go all metal and your problems are over. I imagine they could be a safety issue if they burst violently and spray out over the brake disk. apperently up til 2013 you could have your line replaced free in the states. with a new rubber hose onto the metal line. thats pathetic. just looking at the hose it doesnt even look like high pressure interweave.

phalanax, Aug 14, 9:25am
Picked up the parts this afternoon and whacked it on. not much room to move around . hardest part was getting to the lower pressure line bolt and undoing it (48lb torque) (mines a hatchback and you havent got bugger all room to do much of anything. lol). the stupid pressure line dust cover is a big time waster . but its all on no leaks. Im good to go and feeling much better about going on a long trip. the old line wasnt leaking. the hose was very soft about midway . it wouldnt have lasted. cost me $60 for the all metal line and crush washers, the all metal line fits like a glove. gotta be better than wondering when its gonna start leaking. and seize my engine. everything back where it should be . no worries about me loosing oil pressure. you wouldnt even know its been worked on. DONE

phalanax, Oct 8, 9:08am
Be aware the dust cover has a dirty great sponge glued to the back of it lol . so if the rubber line does start to leak it will probably initially show as a few oil spots on the concrete. the bottom pressure line bolt is not easy to remove. a spanner will not do it. and you need to keep the socket down hard on the bolt head while cracking the torqued up bolt. if you dont have alot of experience best pay someone. because if you damage the head of the lower pressure line bolt. your into NIGHTMARE territory. sometimes its best to pay someone that knows their tools. (then you can blame them. lol). SERIOUSLY. dont even try it if youve just bought a cheap socket set and are looking for a first project.