Great Wall utes

Page 2 / 13
thejazzpianoma, Sep 27, 11:33pm
I would never consider one for moral reasons alone. Great Wall are blatant thieves who completely rip off entire vehicles from other manufacturers. They don't have some special Chinese magic wand that lets them build an equivocation vehicle cheaper than anyone else.

The savings reflect the millions of dollars of R&D they have stolen from other companies and extreme cost savings at the expense of safety and quality.

You aid and abet thieves like this at the expense of the rest of the motor industry. Which means we all lose out. Buying from scum like this is no better than buying someone else's stolen possessions off a burglar.

primemeat, Sep 27, 11:37pm
I cant find the link to the review site but their were many people complaining about chassis rust and clutches wearing out at 5000k and not being covered by their warrenty. It was an Australian site.

gadgit3, Sep 27, 11:39pm
We have one that comes in for servicing. Owner likes it (used on sealed roads only so far) interior looks ok. Exterior is average looking the engine is a 4G93 Mitsubishi engine and loves it's go juice. It's a single cab 4x4. with less ground clearance then a 2x4 hilux. If and when he attempts to do any 4WDiving or towing we are looking forward to replacing the drive shafts as the front shafts are round 18mm and the slip joint in the rear shaft is 22mm. load that rear shaft up and see where it gets ya lol.

rob_man, Sep 27, 11:47pm
I'm pretty certain they're building stuff under licence to the original manufacturers down to having the original tooling for a lot of the body panels.
The Japs don't have any use for it now but I think they might regret not scrapping a lot of it later on.

vtecintegra, Sep 27, 11:54pm
And if the positions were reversed and the newer Mazda hit your car square in the side you'd probably be dead - and that isn't an exaggeration.

vtecintegra, Sep 27, 11:55pm
They're certainly unlicensed copies - other Chinese manufacturers are even being sued over it.

dr.doolittle, Sep 28, 12:18am
Makes no sense at all.

bitsy_boffin, Sep 28, 12:26am
Quoting from the D&L isn't exactly going to win you brownie points in the Motoring board.

rob_man, Sep 28, 12:32am
So how did they get hold of the press tooling from Isuzu to make the bodies! A bit hard to sneak something like that out of the building.
Edit.Just looked at the wiki page and it appears there are a few copying issues, I was told by some well meaning person they were building under licence but I'm wrong.

vtecintegra, Sep 28, 12:41am
I don't think they are using the Isuzu tooling, just the general shape.

Could be wrong though.

mm12345, Sep 28, 12:43am
As Great Wall have been sued - but if sue in PRC, the outcome is likely to be different than if you sue in other markets,
They now have cars meeting Euro C-NCAP 5 star rating.
Eventually, the chinese will eat every other manufacturer's lunch.There's no reason to believe otherwise - if you look at any other industry, it's happened already, or well on the way.
Totalitarianism is an economically efficient system.For as long as China can maintain improvement in quality of life for it's citizens, there's not going to be any uprising in China.There's not going to be an uprising in the west either - at least not while governments are dependent on Chinese capital are strung along by the hope of being a major exporter to China, and people are happy to fill their homes and lives with masses of chinese made stuff.Welcome to the race -to the bottom.

kecal, Sep 28, 5:27am
a while ago this thread was circulatingand a comment was made , thatthis sort of fell into the same catagory as whenthe japenese carsfirst started entering our country.egsafety , quality etc . some howi tend to agree.
as for being a rip of of other companies etc . isntchinacopying the world ina multitude ofother products.!

mapman, Sep 28, 6:37am
Every car company does it from all counties. Look at a Fiat, they love China so much they name a car after it, the Fiat Panda and Fiat??

trouser, Sep 28, 6:44am
Taken you a while to chime in.

mugenb20b, Sep 28, 6:47am
Is there a reason why Japanese or European manufacturers don't make vehicles to compete with Chinese cars!

carstauranga001, Sep 28, 6:53am
Best of all, when you crash and die in one your kids get a bigger inheritance to spend. Yes we all know they'll spend it don't we.

rob_man, Sep 28, 6:57am
They've invested too much in making unnecessarily sophisticated cars for pretentious people to be seen in and be cocooned in an aura of safety, which is fine if you're willing to pay for it.
The Chinese have come up with an alternative.

mm12345, Sep 28, 7:14am
That wouldn't surprise me.Half the cars on the road are completely panned by D&L, but as people get emotionally attached to their cars, it's no surprise that they can respond irrationally when unpleasant facts get thrown around.

mellisa2000, Sep 28, 7:31am
At the end of last year, Albany Toyota had one with 9,000km on the clock, 7 months old for $11,000. Say anything to you!

mapman, Sep 28, 7:40am
I hear yeah, that??

fordkiwi27, Sep 28, 7:58am
mapman the chinese man

dr.doolittle, Sep 28, 8:17am
One what! a 4x4 double cab diesel! Or some sort of base model el'cheapothat sold new for $18k!
"Say anything to you!", not without knowing all the facts.

franc123, Sep 28, 8:17am
Yeah in the same way that Daewoos are being marketed as quality Holden products, that isn't working particularly well either, well maybe to blind followers of the lion who for unknown reasons are always trying to solve their self esteem issues by running down Fords at every opportunity.I don't think that Fish was wrong in saying that a GW ute had halved its value before it reached a year old, and probably before it even got to its first service, thats unheard of in other brands, especially for a commercial vehicle.Thats Lada levels of depreciation, and for much of the same reasons.Perhaps Holden might like to rebadge some GW's instead of Daewoos and they might sell, its not like anyone would really notice the difference in quality.

mapman, Sep 28, 8:19am
mapman the Holden man, not Chinese but Kiwi and proud of it, don't own or drive a Chinese car and I certainly don't drive a Frod, but I am a realist.

trdbzr, Sep 28, 8:21am
Are you really such an idiot! Of course no one is going to purposely crash their car, but if someone else is going to crash into you, and yes *shock horror* it does happen, then a Great Wall Ute is one I would definitely not want to be in. Most cars are reasonable when it comes to crash test. Great Wall ute scored second lowest in the ANCAP crash test. Even the Great Wall SUV with twin airbags scored a low 2/5 showing that even their airbags perform like crap. My life is worth the few extra $$$.

http://www.consumer.org.nz/news/view/unsafe-utes-fail-crash-tests http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=G2OCYr0hpBE