Head gasket replacment for V6 Legnum ST-R

Page 1 / 2
willz29, Nov 11, 8:57am
My car is due for a wof next month. On the last wof my mechanic pointed out some oil leaks and suggested it could be a the head gasket. He suggested a steam clean of the engine to see where the oil is coming from. If it is a head gasket what could the possible repair bill set me back!

twink19, Nov 11, 9:02am
lots of $$$$$$$$$$

rlr29, Nov 11, 9:11am
Lets go with "rocker cover gasket"and definitely go get a second opinion.

phillip.weston, Nov 11, 9:11am
I highly doubt it will be coming from the head gaskets - more than likely a leaking rocker cover gasket or oil filler cap gasket which is a common source of leaks for these engines.

willz29, Nov 11, 9:18am
Hi Phillip, What might this gasket cost to repair, at a rough guess. The bottom half of the engine is coated in oil, but I don't have any oil stains in the driveway. The car only travels around 50km per week. Mileage is 166K

huey3000, Nov 11, 10:03am
Are you sure you don't mean rocker cover gasket! Head gasket would be unlikely but at the same time if it's coated in oil! Rocker cover gasket should only take 10mins. Can't remember the cost of the last gasket I got. I imagine $30ish + labour

zak410, Nov 11, 10:07am

mellisa2000, Nov 11, 10:53am
Water or steam blast around the areas which are wet with oil. Monitor for a few days to see where the il is from. OR check all levels on a daily basis and after cleaning see the leaks.

willz29, Nov 11, 5:46pm
Ok this is looking a lot better than I expected. It probably was the rocker cover gasket. Fingers crossed anyway

kiwis0, Nov 11, 11:00pm
If it was the head gasket it wouldn't even be going that well, and it would be overheating.

More like a sump gasket, change mechanics.

Google your car, and get underneath of it, and have a look.

kiwis0, Nov 11, 11:10pm
Check your water level when vehicle is cold, it would be nearly empty if it was the head gasket.

franc123, Nov 11, 11:13pm
Wrong, if head gaskets are leaking oil externally they will still run satisfactorily, its only if compression is leaking into a water jacket or water is leaking into the chamber that the running will be affected.This is quite possible if for example like Mitsubishi when your engine designers are dumb enough to put a high pressure oil gallery right in the corner of the block as they did with 4G93 engines.As others have said the correct approach is to steam clean around the affected area and recheck it again after a few days, providing the rocker cover gaskets haven't gone hard and/or are cracking, ie are able to be tightened down a bit further that may sort it IF thats where its coming from.

kiwis0, Nov 11, 11:27pm
I don't know, nearly everybody I know who has owned a Legnum seems to have trouble with there car, what are they!, a mechanics dream.

willz29, Nov 11, 11:47pm
Ok, I'm going to book it in for a steam clean next week. The wof is due on 2/12 so hopefully within a couple of weeks we should be able to see where the leak is coming from. I just hope it is something minor. I trust the mechanic I've been using them for years and they've always been fair

kiwis0, Nov 12, 12:00am
Another thing you could do is to google your manual for your car, it may seem hard to take in, but if you slowly have a read, you get a idea how your vehicle works.

willz29, Nov 12, 12:34am
Google is not being my friend. I have been unable to find one. Just a lot of posts on different forums

phillip.weston, Nov 12, 12:42am
I have a 6A13 engine manual in PDF form if you want it e-mailed to you.

kiwis0, Nov 12, 12:44am
Yeah, It can take a bit of searching

phillip.weston, Nov 12, 12:44am
Out of all the Legnum models to have, the 25ST-R is probably one of the most reliable of the bunch, second only to the 2WD V6 version. There are no turbos to go wrong, no GDI etc and the 2.5L engine is not very stressed and can get along just fine with reasonable fuel economy. I've had four Galants and Legnums with that 2.5L engine and they've all been a dream to own and drive.

phillip.weston, Nov 12, 12:45am
and better still is the NZ-new Galant sedan or wagon with the 2.0L non-GDI 4cyl, although it is a little underpowered.

kiwis0, Nov 12, 12:48am
In your book they are a dream, in mine, I wouldn't touch one with a barge poll.

phillip.weston, Nov 12, 4:05am
well each to their own. Just saying out that entire range with GDIs, turbos and tiptronic transmissions the best ones to get are the 2.5 non-turbo V6 (in 5spd manual preferably) which hardly anything goes wrong. They were a good enough car in their day but now are showing their age.

n3d4sp3d, Nov 12, 4:44am
oil leak will most probily be rocker gasgets if this is the case the intake plenim chamber will have to removed to do rear one, while this off might be an idea to replace rear plugs to that way you don't have to pay for the manifold to be removed twice. i work at mitsi motors and agree with phillip the 6a13 is a reli strong motor only trouble with it is torque convertor in auto trans

mugenb20b, Nov 12, 5:19am
pole

mugenb20b, Nov 12, 5:21am
The ones with GDi engines, yes. I've never seen any V6 non turbo Legnums with problems.