Head gasket replacment for V6 Legnum ST-R

Page 2 / 2
willz29, Nov 13, 1:36am
That woul be great thanks Phillip. Gsr_lancer97@hotmail.com
If it is the rocker cover gasket what should I budget for repairs. I'm going to get it steam cleaned next week to assist with diagnosis

phillip.weston, Nov 13, 2:35am
a rocker cover gasket would be about $30 per side (they use the same gasket) and perhaps an hours labour to fit them. As mentioned above I would replace the spark plugs at the same time as it's just as much work to get to the plugs so may as well do them while there's easy access to them when the rocker covers are off.

willz29, Nov 16, 7:16am
It went in for a steam clean today. I've been told both rocker cover gaskets need replacing. There is also an O ring in the cam cover! that needs replacing. I've been quoted $350 to do the work. I then went to another mechanic for a second opinion and was told the same thing, as there is 4-5 hours labour involved.

phillip.weston, Nov 16, 7:33am
there is no way replacing the labour is 4-5 hours worth of work. Keep looking around until you find a mechanic who is more reasonable. It takes 4-5 hours to do a whole cam belt job on one of them - not to just replace the rocker cover gaskets. There are 3 spark plug seals per rocker cover which simply lift up off the spark plug tubes. I would imagine the gaskets including spark plug seals would amount to $100 max for both heads, and perhaps another $30-40 for standard spark plugs (BKR6E) rather than the iridium or platinum plugs at $30 each.

a.woodrow, Nov 16, 7:36am
Have you done one before! how long did it take you!

willz29, Nov 16, 8:02am
The second mechanic told me its time consuming and quoted the 4-5 hours as taking the manifold off takes a long time. It looked like the throttle body to me that he was pointing to. But as you can tell, I'm not clued up on automotive issues.

phillip.weston, Nov 16, 8:01pm
Yes. I did both the rocker cover gaskets (but not the spark plug seals, they were still bone dry and soft still) along with spark plugs on my friends '98 Galant V6-24 sedan, along with a cam belt and water pump. Whole job took me a day going slowly and taking my time. The rocker cover and spark plug replacement would have only taken an hour of that time. The inlet manifold comes off with the removal of 7-8 bolts and the air intake hose then folds over the transmission side with everything else still attached. Another 6~8 bolts per rocker cover and they are off - pry the old gasket out and clean up both surfaces, fit new gasket, apply a dab of RTV silicone in the corners and re-fit rocker cover. You can do the front bank within minutes and you will see how easy it is - removing the upper section of the inlet manifold is not as hard as it looks.

phillip.weston, Nov 16, 8:04pm
I guess I'm what you would call a 'novice/hobby' mechanic and even I can get that upper manifold off in 10-15 mins. It will take a few hours for the RTV silicone to dry before being able to start the engine but they can't charge you for that time while it sits there waiting.

kiwicon, Nov 16, 8:14pm
Print out phillip.weston's post pal and give it a go yourself, like he said, once you have done the front - you can't really go wrong with the back. Saves a few bucks and you learn a thing or two on the way

willz29, Nov 17, 3:10am
I'm not confident enough to do it myself

willz29, Nov 17, 3:12am
Had a third quote today. $475. Parts are $155 the rest is labour. I guess I will stick with my current mechanic as they have been the cheapest out of three quotes

phillip.weston, Nov 17, 5:07am
keep shopping around! three mechanics is not enough! $475 is just ridiculous to replace rocker cover gaskets and spark plugs (I assume they're including spark plugs in that price!)

willz29, Nov 17, 6:02am
No spark plugs. Just the gaskets and labour. Could anyone recommend a mechanic in West Auckland I could call!

phillip.weston, Nov 17, 9:07pm
Have you got access to a rag, a flat bladed screwdriver and a 10mm 3/8" drive socket with extension and ratchet! That's about all you would need to do the front bank rocker cover. At least that would eliminate half the leaking. How much oil is it using! Does the oil leaking NEED to be fixed right away!

jsbike, Nov 17, 9:16pm
too right. that would buy you 23L of oil! just keep topping it up!

willz29, Nov 18, 2:45am
I was told it's a safety concern as oil is dripping onto the exhaust manifold and smoldering. Got another quote today $300 to $350 tops. I might go with them. That was for Mike Jackson vehicle servicing in Henderson. They have a good reputation. I'm really not wanting to do it myself.

willz29, Nov 18, 2:46am
Problem is I've been told its a safety issue with oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold and smoldering, and that it wouldn't pass its WOF that expires 2/12/11

willyt1, Nov 18, 2:50am
Hey Have you tried bart at New market auto repair! He lives out that way and might be able to pick it up on his way top work! He is very good and well priced hisnumber is 021 470444. Like the other guys have said $475 sounds a little high but you do have to take off the intake manifold to do the rear bank. Good luck

n3d4sp3d, Mar 18, 4:07pm
f**k r you ngetting quoted dealer prices, try going to repco and sourcing you own parts that way they cannot charge you mark up in the parts and only labour to fit them all you need is your rego and they find the rest, and i would definatly fit platnum plugs in rear bank so that the manifold doesn't have to be removed again for another 90 - 100k. i work at mitsi and at the most it takes 30 min to remove and install manifold and yes we do charge dealer prices