2001 Nissan Stagea pinking (VQ25DD engine)

Page 2 / 3
brokebloke1, Dec 5, 1:39am
maybe yes or no
if as above chain stretch then you will need a new chain, tensioner etc but at 84000kms a bit unlikely
arnt these engines cambelt!

franc123, Dec 5, 4:43am
lol, or cheap either!When the cam and crank angle signals get too far out of sync the ECU packs a spazz and you get a check engine light that won't be turned off either.Had a late model Primera that did exactly this and it was simply due to chain stretch.

mechnificent, Dec 5, 6:23am
Shouldn't it have a knock sensor to stop the knock! And should't the ecu set the timing to standard if it can't control the timing. set you into safe mode like!

Perhaps it's not pinking!

raymond00001, Dec 5, 7:39am
Find quality info here

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/forum/82-stagea-discussion/

A thermostat opens as the engine warms up, changing it will not affect the temp that the engine normally runs at once warm. A mate had little pinking on his after dealer said 91 ok. running it on 95 fixed it. At higher kms the intake manifold may become dirty as its direct injection and uses exhaust gas reticulation for emmisions control, this may affect sensors on higher km engines but yours should be fine.

bigracket, Dec 5, 7:51am
Yip I have a stig also, and yip it pinks no matter what i do, turn the radio up works!

phillip.weston, Dec 5, 6:36pm
VG is belt driven, VQ is chain driven. The engines in the late model Stageas are the Neo-Di direct injection engines, works much the same as Mitsubishi's GDI and Toyota's D4.

mechnificent, Dec 6, 2:28am
And do they have knock sensors Philip!

phillip.weston, Dec 6, 2:34am
I would assume so! What 2000's fuel injected vehicle doesn't have a knock sensor these days! I wonder if it's a case of the knock sensor not picking up any knock - if so it must be a common fault as we're not the only two to experience this issue with relatively low kms examples.

mechnificent, Dec 6, 2:41am
The thing is that if the knock sensor (assuming it has one), can't control knocking then it should put the car into safe mode.

I know that DGI run a little like a diesel, that is to say they inject the fuel as it's already burning, so it's possible that they don't need a knock sensor because they could just ease off the injection till the pressure eases a little. I'd imagine.

I'm not sure so I'm trying to learn. it's all a bit new to me these DGI.

mechnificent, Dec 6, 2:42am
I'll have to go have a study up now. Thanks very much guys!

mechnificent, Dec 6, 2:51am
Ok, it seems likely that they do not have knock sensors after all.

Since they already have very high compression I'll assume that's not the problem, so. burning oil perhaps. that causes knocking.

phillip.weston, Dec 6, 2:56am
I'm thinking they are just so highly dependent on Japan's quality 100 octane fuel which our 98 pales in comparison. That and the fact that they weren't intended to be exported therefore didn't really have much measures put in place to run on lower octane if need be.

bigfatmat1, Dec 6, 4:51am
I have fixed one that was pinking it was the evap. Check for vacuume leaks this will cause knocking as well

phillip.weston, Dec 6, 5:07am
what do you mean by 'evap'!

bigfatmat1, Dec 6, 5:26am
purge canister

gregr3, Dec 6, 5:29am
Excellent discussion, good stuff!

The pinking was picked up by the pre-purchase inspection and they suggested it was a faulty knock sensor. After that I had a mechanic plug in a scanner and he said that the knock sensor appeared fine, but suggested that problem might be because the car yard had run it on 91. So we've run a couple of tanks of 95 through it, but the problem persists.

A bit confused now give the above comment that there isn't a knock sensor!

I'm doing the plugs tomorrow night so will check back in after that.

mechnificent, Dec 6, 5:33am
Hey, I looked up a generic DGI. it may not apply here. that's something I'm trying to figure out. all good educational stuff as you say.

Mat, do you think it was air getting in that caused the pinking or that the canister was dumping fuel in!

phillip.weston, Dec 6, 6:00am
and what's wrong with it specifically! is it fixed by replacing this canister or repaired etc!

fordguy17, Dec 6, 6:22am
Pinking! I think you mean pinging. You may need to time your engine, or replace the cam sync sensor.

bigfatmat1, Dec 6, 6:23am
the purge valve stuck open and not closing causing unmetered air into system a little charcoal from the canister coming loose causing valve to jam best remedy replace canister and valve you can dismantle and clean but it if one piece of charcoal has come loose chances are it will happen again.

bigfatmat1, Dec 6, 6:26am
lol ya cant adjust timing.

phillip.weston, Dec 6, 6:28am
awesome that's just the description I am after. I wonder if you can just bypass the canister and valve altogether.

mechnificent, Dec 6, 6:28am
So does Mat know whether they have a knock sensor!

fordguy17, Dec 6, 6:28am
I take it they have coil packs! Well the cam sync sensor then. Hence "adjust timing OR replace sync sensor."

bigfatmat1, Dec 6, 6:33am
mmmmmmmm maybe never really thought about it I guess so but if the valve was removed check light would come on for a purge fault and you would need to regulate the tank breathing otherwise it would stink out confined space if left open or implode ya tank if blocked