2001 Nissan Stagea pinking (VQ25DD engine)

Page 3 / 3
bigfatmat1, Dec 6, 6:36am
it is possible that the consult machine might be able to adjust timing by a degree or two but otherwise replacing a sensor will have no effect because if there was a descripencybetween cam sensor and crank pos check light would be on or a fault code of which there is none

phillip.weston, Dec 6, 6:40am
emissions controls are so over-rated :P

bigfatmat1, Dec 6, 6:47am
doesn't it have two knock sensors I don't know never looked or struck a fault with one for knock sensors things with knock sensors still knock if there is a problem elswhere. smack the engine hard with a hammer and see if the idle slows down lol

gregr3, Dec 6, 6:55am
I've noticed a few comments above regarding the check light coming on. In my situation the check light isn't on (but is functioning), so would this eliminate some of the possibilities being put forward!

bigfatmat1, Dec 6, 6:59am
there is a 95% chance you could rule out sensor failures.

mechnificent, Dec 6, 8:23am
What are the conditions when this knock takes place! Light throttle! Heavy foot!

It may just be built into the timing maps and be fairly normal, it may also be possible to remap the timing.

gregr3, Dec 6, 7:12pm
Good question!

The pinking (knocking!) occurs when I moderately accelerate at low revs, may be less than 2000rpm. If I plant my foot, the auto switches up and revs are lifted sufficiently.

mechnificent, Dec 6, 8:59pm
Yeah well that phenomonom is fairly common to modern cars with conventional EFI. There is some combinations of load, throttle, revs, temp etc where the timing is a fraction too advanced. When you put your foot down the ecu recognises that it wouldn't be good to have too much advance and so retards the timing. As long as that pinking i mentioned was only at light throttle the car manufacturers know it will do no harm and that it is the best compromise they can manage.

It's quite common that a car will pink for a second after you have throttled off and then put your foot down again, it's just the delay as the ecu progresively steps the timing back. They always change all the parametrs in steps, and they always take one step at a time, even if it is four-hundred steps per second it still takes a fraction of a second to get the timing to where it should be.

gregr3, Dec 6, 11:56pm
Yeah, although for me the pinking often lingers for a bit longer than what you describe (not minutes, but may be a couple of seconds).

mechnificent, Dec 7, 12:05am
Have you been to the dealers and asked if there is a technical bulletin or an adjustment for it!

carkitter, Dec 7, 12:31am
Reading this thread it's clear you guys have come up with the answer already. The pinging is caused by unmetered air getting into the engine. The items to check are the MAF sensor, the purge cannister and for any possible air leaks into the vacuum lines.

gregr3, Dec 8, 7:21pm
Update, new plugs in and.no change (although the plugs definitely needed it, gap was near double what the new plugs provided). Is there anything I should also be doing now that the new plugs are in (like may be re-set the ECU!). Note that it already has fresh oil and new oil filter.

Next on the list is the knock sensor (as per advice from pre-purchase check). However, one thing that came to mind was the possibility that the pinking is being caused by the auto trans not selecting (or being a bit slow at selecting) the appropriate gear (stage, what ever it's called). This car is straight off the boat, so would old or worn out trans fluid be a possible culprit!

mechnificent, Dec 8, 8:12pm
No, the engine should be able to accomodate a manual trans.

Check all the small hoses, egr valve(it will probably need pulling of to check properly), diaphrams, air leaks anywhere.

Oil consumption could cause pinking too.

electromic, Dec 9, 8:53am
I have had pinging in a 2002 stagea and blowing black smoke at the same time! Have been back to nissan were customer bought it often and have so far replaced the maf sensor on there say so even though the car showed no faulty codes. Still has same problem. Customer has been test driving other stagea wagons all have the pinging and half blow clouds of black smoke too. Any help would be great.

gregr3, Dec 15, 10:26am
Further update, into the mechanics today, ECU was reset, however still pinking/pinging. One thing that was picked up is that the last part of the intake before it reaches the throttle body has a split, although apparently it doesn't go right through (and hence isn't causing an air leak into the system). Regardless, will probably get it replaced. Best place to source one in Hamilton!

The next approach is to replace the knock sensors, although I understand they can be a bit of a mission to get out, any experiences! I was also wondering if it may be worth paying attention to the o2 sensor (are they easyer/cheaper to replace when compared to knock sensors!).