Toyota 2.5 L V6

taipan4, May 9, 2:31am
As fitted to import Gracia/Camry's anyone had experience with these good or bad, fuel economy, general running

mugenb20b, May 9, 2:51am
They drive well, easy to service, but prone to blowing head gaskets and/or cracking heads and blocks due to cooling system neglegence.

pollymay, May 9, 3:12am
Depends, the newer MZ engine like the more modern gracia should have are fine, they can sludge though if left with no oil changes. The VZ engines do head gaskets

taipan4, May 9, 5:42am
as posted I gather head gasket problems due to not keeping coolant changed & system flushed out etc

kimbo88, May 9, 5:47am
That's part of the problem taipan, but the older VZ series did have some issues that were corrected in the later MZ series engines where circulation was improved due to different flow of coolant.I can't remember the exact change, but I was told recently that a particular change was made in the newer block/head that essentially fixed the problem.If memory serves me correctly it was due to a localised hotspot or similar. So it's not all due to negligence, but yes that also had a part to play along with the design of block/head etc.Go for the later model engine if possible.

taipan4, May 9, 6:05am
thanx will look out for anMZ

bluecambridge, May 9, 7:02am
kimbo88, wasn't there also a problem (especially with the early 90's models) with the head gaskets themselves! I have read somewhere that around this time Toyota had actually changed the material used to make the gaskets and it took them a while to get it right!

kimbo88, May 9, 8:18am
Hi Bluecambridge - you could well be right there on the headgasket issues - I'm not too sure myself on that one - but I do know that there was also a definite design fault that was rectified when they brought out the newer MZ series.It was further exacerbated by people not undertaking proper cooling system maintenance as well.

pollymay, May 9, 8:35am
It's the 3vzfe that is renowned for it. I personally don't think they are that bad but whatever. I think it is a bit of a hotspot and shitty material combo. MZ don't have that issue at all. On the plus side the VZ bottom end is stupid strong. I have heard a rumour the 5vz gasket is slightly different but can be used and is better. There was a couple people saying they were boosting their 3vzfe MR2 V6s on 5vz gaskets, I am yet to try it or have a nosy as to any advantages so can't comment on accuracy of that statement

taipan4, May 9, 9:24am
wikipedia Quote"2MZ FE 2.5 l v6 as fitted to Qualis"just looking around for a cheap hack wagon not an everyday driver as I have a work ute

pollymay, Jan 31, 3:18pm
I pulled the cams out of one the other day, they do exist I assure :)

There is a mod where you put the 2mz non vvti inlet cams in the 1mz non vvti motor with the 3mz exhaust cams to give a 1mz with a bit more pep. Also can use the 2mz crank to dstroke the 1mz to make a revver. Static compression on them is about 10.8 to one so not bad. They don't give huge troubles that I hear, just the VZ of yesteryear that blows the headgasket.