What's a good large family car?

Page 1 / 3
juger0, Feb 3, 9:03am
We have 2 boys, 10 and 12 and finding our current car, Honda Accord Euro suitable but lacking some space, and getting up to 170k on the clock so was wondering what's a good car to progress to! Was thinking the Holden VE (or what's a good model Holden!), Ford Falcon, Hyundai Tuscan etc. maybe up to 25k in price but that depends on a few things coming up. As you can see open to pretty much any body shape EXCEPT for maybe a MPV, unless you can change my mind about those.lol. I like driving on winding roads so it needs to have good handling, not talking about speeding or dangerous, just something solid. The Accord Euro has great handling IMO so has to match or better that. My ideal car would be an Audi RS6 SW but who's got that kind of money to throw around :) Cheers.

mapman, Feb 3, 9:08am
Stick to what you were thinking, a Holden VE.

trdbzr, Feb 3, 9:12am
Some good options are Commodore VE, best to get a 2008+ because it has the larger camchain that doesn't stretch as it does in the pre 2008 models, Falcon XR6, Aurion (Camry if you want smaller engine), Maxima.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 3, 9:14am
VW Passat or Skoda, you still get the brilliant DSG transmission and great Audi/VW engines.These are a huge amount of car for your price range and are years ahead of the game compared to what else you can get for your money.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 3, 9:14am
VW Passat or Skoda, you still get the brilliant DSG transmission and great Audi/VW engines.These are a huge amount of car for your price range and are years ahead of the game compared to what else you can get for your money.

You really need to drive the opposition cars as well to compare and do a little homework on what comes with the Passat/Skoda. It dosn't take long at all to realise what a gap there is between the VW product and the rest.

jenny188, Feb 3, 10:20am
2 kids and soon a mate each or more . hate to say it but maybe a previa. takes 6 comfortably , will still overtake and room for a few extras. 2000 plus models have lots of doors and start for a good one at about $12 k plus. Know lots of owners with 230 k's plus on the 2.4 model. not an Audi though

fordcrzy, Feb 3, 10:24am
The Toyota Ipsum is the best handling people mover especially the 240s. The others are boats on wheels.

clark20, Feb 3, 10:42am
Get the Commodore, great value, Sportwagons are nice.

juger0, Feb 3, 6:58pm
I'll look into some of these, thanks for some suggestions. Usually been a bit reluctant to go European as have heard repairs/parts can cost a bit more but not sure if that still applies or not! Any ideas along the lines of the Nissan Murano or Qashqai, doesn't have to be Nissan (have they sorted the CVT transmission yet!) but that kind of shape, RAV4 etc.

kenw1, Feb 3, 7:28pm
My two boys are both over 6'4" and they fit really nicely in the Falcon Estate.Not too bad on petrol, and plenty of comfort.It is not a town car so if you have to do a lot of short runs, its not for that, but probably the same with any large car.

ryanm2, Feb 3, 7:54pm
Heaps of manufacturers do CVT transmissions - its the servicing of such transmissions which is the problem, not the design. European car parts are no more expensive than parts for Aussie , Jap or Korean cars.

craig04, Feb 3, 9:02pm
+1 but not the Aurion. They go like a cut cat in a straight line in the dry but are dynamically hopeless in any other condition. I would be having a good look at an FG XR6.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 3, 9:13pm
Good rule of thumb. anyone who gives you advice about "European" cars as opposed to specifically "VW", "BMW" etc. has no idea what they are talking about and is just repeating silly wives tales started by car dealers trying to flog off used imports.

Some European cars have fairly expensive parts in NZ (Volvo is one) but VW group cars (Thats Audi/Skoda/VW) are very well priced and easily available. Servicing for the likes of the Passat is very inexpensive, with servicing sometimes only required every 2 years (depends on km's you do and how its driven).

There is nothing unusual or expensive about the service when it rolls around either.

The only thing or note is perhaps the DSG transmission which is serviced every 60'000km but is not a big deal and can be done at home if you want in half an hour for $200. Its about $500 to get done at a dealer.

The extra economy you get from the DSG will pay for its servicing several times over so its not an "extra cost" anyway. (The DSG has no torque converter so you get the same economy as driving a manual car with all the benefits of a six speed auto). The DSG is also very reliable and more sturdy than a CVT etc.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 3, 9:13pm
Good rule of thumb. anyone who gives you advice about "European" cars as opposed to specifically "VW", "BMW" etc. has no idea what they are talking about and is just repeating silly wives tales started by car dealers trying to flog off used imports.

Some European cars have fairly expensive parts in NZ (Volvo is one) but VW group cars (Thats Audi/Skoda/VW) are very well priced and easily available. Servicing for the likes of the Passat is very inexpensive, with servicing sometimes only required every 2 years (depends on km's you do and how its driven).

There is nothing unusual or expensive about the service when it rolls around either.

The only thing of note is perhaps the DSG transmission which is serviced every 60'000km but is not a big deal and can be done at home if you want in half an hour for $200. Its about $500 to get done at a dealer.

The extra economy you get from the DSG will pay for its servicing several times over so its not an "extra cost" anyway. (The DSG has no torque converter so you get the same economy as driving a manual car with all the benefits of a six speed auto). The DSG is also very reliable and more sturdy than a CVT etc.

Bottom line is the VW will be excellent for low "total cost of ownership" (which is what actually matters) thats because you are buying it at a time when its depreciation is entering a slow period, all engines are extremely economical (thanks to the DSG, FSI technology etc) and you have nice long service intervals.

Which reminds me, if you want ultra economical the Diesel engines are fantastic, I think you will be surprised at the power of the 2.0 unit. The 1.9 lacks a bit though. The 2.0 Turbo petrol also has plenty of grunt with great economy although the 3.2 is surprisingly economical for its size also.

I would suggest driving all engines if possible. Only the 1.9 Diesel and the 2.0 without the Turbo are a little average.

Also. I am not a dealer, just speaking from personal experience here. We have and have had quite a few of these newish VW/Audi's in the family. I am just doing the 5 year service on a 2.0 Turbo one today.

craig04, Feb 3, 9:30pm
Good comment Jazz. Not all European cars should be pigeon holed as terrible, expensive to repair etc. It's just VW's that suck.

edangus, Feb 3, 9:31pm
BMW 5 Series Wagon.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 3, 9:39pm
Where have you been of late! I have missed your comments!

craig04, Feb 3, 9:53pm
Been on holiday and camping up far north in the sun

thejazzpianoma, Feb 3, 9:56pm
Good work that man!
We went up in early December, just before it got really busy. Can't wait to get back up there again. Hopefully we might pick up a boat this winter so will take that up with us next spring. (Towed by the mighty Marea of course!)

craig04, Feb 3, 11:39pm
Where were you! We went to Maitai Bay on the KariKari Peninsula.

trdbzr, Feb 4, 12:20am
Please stop derailing threads.

akaniva, Feb 4, 12:29am
I've heard too many tales of unreliable European cars especially VW with all sorts of expensive things failing. I'd stick to Japanese cars, can't beat them for reliability. I drove a late model VW Golf and thought it was awful handling compared to an Impreza too, especially if you had to take evasive action on a sweeping bend to dodge a possum for example. You can get a very nice Lexus LS430 for $25k or less.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 4, 12:35am
This is the sort of 3rd hand, unqualified regurgitated miss information you will come across a lot of. Its up to you, you either do your own proper research or you get sucked in to the silly wives tales that have come to exist from an industry that relies almost entirely on used Japanese imports.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 4, 12:37am
We went right around but only as far north as Dargaville. (Did the Cape a while back on my Vespa so no hurry to do it again). I will spend some more time in the bay of islands next time I think.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 4, 12:38am
Just picked up a cork coated in something brown and smelly. is it yours!