What is a bullet proof medium sized vehicle?

Page 1 / 2
bestgames, Feb 13, 1:42am
I have owned several Toyota Corollas starting with an 84'and appreciated their reliability and the cheapness of parts when things go BANG.

We're buying a house over a pretty large hill and needing a vehicle that can tow a trailer happily and handle the Rimutaka incline without spitting the dummy. The corolla we own is a fiesty 1.3 litre.

Any recommendations for a model car made in the last 10 or so year with enough grunt for towing trailer loads of rubbish/bricks/gravel etc or a small boat!

Was thinking of hilux cos they seem the go-to car for rural use. Just want something that isn't a bastard to get into for the mechanic, to avoid labour, and cheap parts.

curlcrown, Feb 13, 2:06am
You'll pay plenty for a hilux. A commodore or falcon will do. Thirsty in stop start traffic but economicl on the open road, cheap to maintain .

pico42, Feb 13, 2:10am

elect70, Feb 13, 2:22am
The Rimutuka hill is a smallcar killerId go for manualcommie or coon ute withcanopy .

foxdonut, Feb 13, 2:32am
M2A2 will shrug off small arms fire below 12.7mm pretty easy and has a self enclosed carry capability.

If you're going to be going up against APFSDS or MANPAD AT like Konkurs or Kornet; 80+mm stuff you're probably going to want to go M1A2.

TUSK kit available if you plan to spend extended time in the Hut.

intrade, Feb 13, 3:50am
hilux are only non brakeable till 1988 with no turbo diesel . manual petrol hilux 2.7 4 cilinder ar ok and dont brake to often .

rob_man, Feb 13, 3:54am
Good grief! They don't have brakes!

mopar63, Feb 13, 4:00am
commie ,coon or the older Camry wagon , first of the 2.2's , I have also had the earlier 2.0 litre camry wagons , not bad at towing ,cheap to run ,no worries over the rimitakas

intrade, Feb 13, 4:01am
as in broken down you smurf

morrisman1, Feb 13, 4:25am
there was an armoured mercedes v8 on here, It would have been the coolest car in town

richardmayes, Feb 13, 4:35am

foxdonut, Feb 13, 5:30am
Hardly bulletproof.

richardmayes, Feb 13, 5:40am
Nothing's bulletproof if you're firing the right bullets.

rob_man, Feb 13, 5:52am
Couldn't resist it .

gubay, Feb 13, 6:56am
what's the legal minimum tread-depth for rubber tracks!

bubbles244, Feb 13, 7:11am
dont need them remember ya just drive through walls and other small buildings

msigg, Feb 13, 7:24am
camry,comm,falcon,nissan

bestgames, Feb 13, 8:11am
Sounds like commodore, falcon and camry are getting big ticks.

Anyone know which have more parts available and easier to service. Some of the larger, newer cars have to have the whole engine lifted to adjust or replace anything. I want the car version of a GN250. if the GN250 came with a towbar and could haul crap about the place.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 13, 9:37am
I think you are getting sucked in to some wives tails and silly myths. The vast majority of modern cars are exceptionally reliable and you would be hard pressed to find a car that you can't overnight a part for in NZ. If you are worried about ongoing costs why not ask about economy and depreciation.

You have also made no mention of your budget!

hounddog2, Feb 13, 9:43am

huffalump, Feb 13, 9:52am

huffalump, Feb 13, 9:54am

bestgames, Feb 13, 11:09am
Someone made a funny about armored cars and then aunch of unfunnies tried to cash in. Choice.

jazzpianoma our budget runs to what it costs to get something that will do the job described. From my looking that sounds like starting around $5K and heading towards $15K for something used without 400,000km on it.

economy & depreciation!

Tell us me what your ideas are then. Cheers.

bestgames, Feb 13, 11:13am
And as for the cost of getting into the motors to work on many of the newer cars that came from a mechanic with about 25 years experience, who gets into motors to service them for a living.

The trouble is his ideas of value for vehicles has been a little off a few times - he isn't a trader at all so wanted some other opinions on 'value' vehicles.

mdallas, Feb 13, 11:14am
hilux resale. unbeatable