Ford experts, 64 Galaxy

towelynz, Feb 15, 5:32am
I've been asked to have a look at the brake lights on a 1964 Galaxy.They don't work.Indicators are fine, tail lights are great.

I have had a quick look, but I couldn't even see the brake switch on the pedal box.Anyone know where the switch is!Any other helpful tips!
TIA

trogedon, Feb 15, 5:36am
The Dog and Lemon guide says.buy a Corolla.

brokebloke1, Feb 15, 5:37am
isnt that model have indicators work as stop lights! if so check for a bad earth, there should be 3 wires coming out of the bulb holder
1 for tailights, 1 for stop and 1 for incidcators , metal bulb holder casing acts as a earth on car body, my 63 Fairlane compact was like this had a nightmare sorting out my wiring

skin1235, Feb 15, 5:40am
2 things before any further,
are the bulbs okay
is there power to the wiring at the bulb holders

some of those old girls used a pressure switch on the back of the master cylinder to operate the brake lights - not sure about the 64 galaxy but not uncommon around that era

towelynz, Feb 15, 5:42am
That's the one.Earth is good at bulb.Uses same circuit as the indicators which is what has me stumped and looking for a switch.

skin1235, Feb 15, 5:43am
ford have used lucas codings forever, whats the code for rear stops -

brokebloke1, Feb 15, 5:50am
It maybe behind the brake pedal up high a square type spring loadedswtich stoplights are wired thru the headlight switch if I remember, its been 10years since I had my Fairlane, google mustang wiring diagram

socram, Feb 15, 7:30am
Lucas (British Standards) colour coding for stop lamps is green/purple.I wasn't aware that American Fords used the UK colour coding though.

supernova2, Feb 15, 7:58am
Maybe there is a relay which chops the brake light circuit to provide the flasher circuit.Thats what the poms did with their exports to USA.Sounds like its stuck on flash rather than brake.Question is if there is where is it!Hope that helps.

neville48, Feb 15, 8:36am
yep, probably mounted under the dash on the brake pedal set-up as per the mustangs.