NZ Police Vs Chch BR Video

Page 1 / 2
zephyrheaven, Feb 21, 5:56am
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=WHvhyCuT0dY&feature=player_embedded

Strange this hasnt been on the mainstream media yet
OK the bloke with the camera is off the mark & his spelling is shocking but - a friend of mine was on this cruise - NZ police report says cars were blocked for 2 hours - funny, the last car left at 4am - some 7 hours before the riot squad turned up

I dont want my kids to live in a world like this

gunhand, Feb 21, 6:09am
I watche dmost of this and as far as i could see the police didnt do half what the camara holder said they did. Couldnt hear poilice yelling or abusing anyone, didnt see them forceably shut down music, And unless the girl had her legs hanging out the door or was sittting sideways with her legs spread no cop was vidioing up anyones skirt. and as for being arrested for not being able to go to toilet, well all I seen was some girl being slowly lead away so who knows what the real story was. About all they did was hold them up for a number of hours. Or did I miss something! Or am I to beleave what the camara man was saying.

the_don_61, Feb 21, 6:12am
LOL both of my sons cars are showen here.Plus of of thier old cars

grangies, Feb 21, 6:15am
I wonder how old the lad is at 28 seconds on the vid with the beer!

I have no problems with a 15/16 year old having a beer, but not at an event like that in the middle of the day.

zephyrheaven, Feb 21, 6:15am
Still, blocking a road for 7 hours - I dont think the LAPD have done that for a while

Get this straight - I dont like either of the outfits involved (Police & BR) so dont flame me
Just wanted to see what ya'll (apart from joan_456) think

noswalg, Feb 21, 6:16am
at .28s it looks like a 12yo sculling back a beer, good start to the vid!

drew2009, Feb 21, 6:26am
LOL the local coppas decided they would have their own "fundraiser cruise"

grangies, Feb 21, 6:28am
Well the 7 hour road block is over the top.

But I can't blame the ones in riot gear, as we have all seen in the recent past how those young punks have retaliated, by getting aggressive and throwing bottles etc at the cops.

But I am a Fascist, so, if I had it my way the police would be armed with rubber bullets and plastic pellet shot gun cartridges. lol.

morrisman1, Feb 21, 6:29am
An intelligent person who knew the rules could get themselves out of this sort of thing, this fulla seemed to be be in love with the term 'breach of rights'

If you knew the system then possibly the best way would be to get arrested on a charge you knew how to defend then take it to the courts. Remember guys that all the police can ask you is your name and address. If they ask you anything else then just decline to answer, then if they dont let you leave immediately then you ask if they are going to arrest you and if not then they have no authority to hold you there. Remember never say anything because it will assist them in building a case. Say nothing then surprise them in court. This has all been advised to be by a past member of the police and I havnt seen the actual legislation so it may pay to check up on it before testing the system!

pollymay, Feb 21, 6:33am
Block their cops car in then tell them when they question it you don't have to tell them why, go look it up. lol

The camera guy was acting a bit naff but unless there was a good reason to hold all those people and act like that then the police are out of line.

tgray, Feb 21, 6:47am
I watched the whole thing - Ok, a bit of editing, and some inflamatorylanguage by the narrator, but still, this looks bad.
I am 48 years old and have never been in trouble with the police, been driving for 33 years, no accidents, 2 speeding fines (many years ago) and if this happened to me, I would be infuriated!
Detained for 7 hours with no due cause and no explanation given!
I think it's disgusting to treat young people like that.
The police did a huge disservice to their reputation that night and I'm sure a lot of respect for the police was lost.
I feel sorry for all those young guys that had their special day totally ruined.
My understanding is, unless your under arrest, the police cannot detain you and your free to go. Maybe the law has changed!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 21, 6:52am
Regardless of whether the cameraman exaggerated things or not. Its important that things like this are investigated. I remember in my youth being targeted constantly for no reason other than the pathetic amusement of a few officers.

At the very least we need to have the Police complaints authority also investigate road Policing matters. As it stands now if its related to road Policing they don't investigate. That is not even close to good enough.

Unfortunately mainstream media are in the Pockets of Police so don't expect any reporting on this sort of thing any time soon. This BTW, is why you never see any real on air investigation into Police not turning up to burglary's, car theft's etc.

attitudedesignz, Feb 21, 6:57am
I'd bet my left one ALL those little scrotes would've had no respect for the police OR the law long before this happened.

Good job i say, it seems the karma created in chch by the idiots over the last 5 years is coming back to bite them HARD.

Oh.and i watched video twice and still couldn't see any "show cars" the written text speaks of.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 21, 7:03am
"Scrotes" or not, they still have to be dealt with fairly and legally.

Its all fine when its happening to "them" trouble is this sort of thing is creeping in to affect how everyone is dealt with.

Also. this sort of behavior by our Police is only reinforcing any negative views those youth's have of Police. That dosn't help the situation at all.

r15, Feb 21, 7:03am
this might be the first time ive agreed with jazz-

if the media piss of the police the police will stop spoon feeding them stories. if the police stop spoon feeding the media they will have to go out an do work.and lets face it nobody wants to work harder than they need to.

system still fails, but its pretty obvious why

gunhand, Feb 21, 7:10am
While I would also be a tad annoyed for being detained for 7 hours with suposedly no explanation I would also have to question why the police are doing this in the first place. Perhaps its because of the burnouts, bottle throwing, pouring diesel on the road, loud audio, drinking and pissed behaviour, speeding, racing, unwarrented and unregistered cars, bald tyres, illeagal mods, assult against police(although this only happens when theres one cop and 50 youngsters)and all manner of other misdemeanours that the police and general public at large have had about enough of. Now for sure a few ruin for alot but you can not tell me that cruise would have been all peacefull like they reckon it would be. When you get a bunch of half tanked youth goading each other trouble happens. Mind you the same can be said for some adult gatherings as well.
Do they not think there a victim of there own stupidity!
I am yet to hear of any law abiding group being harrased by the police, there is ALWAYS a reason.
And I dont think I have or ever will find myself in such a situation somehow.

ninja_man, Feb 21, 7:13am
not being allowed to go to the toilet for hours is not acceptable.but most of the cars were uncerted so i guess the police had a reason to check all the cars out before leaving. The cameraman is a big douche though, he also had lots of illegal street racing video's on his page before deleting them.

attitudedesignz, Feb 21, 7:15am
What in that video was un-fiar jazz!

Do we 'know' the whole story! No, just the bits the "scotes" wanted people to see.

When i towed our race car to Wanganui from Napier with the Mazda Titan i got pulled into the weigh station at Ohakea, was a really busy Sat' arvo and EVERY truck had to stop, there was a que for 800m. Did i or any other driver run 'round with a camera crying 'bout rights or harrassment. NO, we did what was required, 2 hours and a bit of paperwork and we're gone.

Now can you tell me the difference!

richardmayes, Feb 21, 7:15am
My libertarian / social justice streak is telling me to be outraged by this highly questionable detention of citizens who have not yet been caught in the commission of any crime.

.but meh. I have seen something of the CHCH boy racer scene in my time. (there are certainly genuine certified A-grade fkwits among them)

.and If you walk like a duck.
.and you quack like a duck.
.and you look like a duck.
.and you're constantly being seen in the company of other ducks.

.then people are going to start to assume.

.you're a duck.

grangies, Feb 21, 7:20am
Spray Painters unite!rofl.

Gunhand / Attitudedesignz and me, seem all on the same wave length here.

We just need robman and gamelivvnd (spelling) and we can pass an anti boy racer law. hehehe

thejazzpianoma, Feb 21, 7:20am
2 hours wait is also unacceptable. Police need to be respectful of people's time. Holding up a business from operating (which would be the case for many a truck driver) for 2 hours is completely unacceptable and completely unnecessary.

If you want to live in a country where that sort of nonsense goes on then good for you, I certainly don't.

Also. don't get sucked in to the silly old "they deserved it" arguments. That DOES NOT EVER give Police a right to abuse the law. Everyone must be treated fairly, even if they are an accused murderer etc. The Police are NOT judge jury and executioner. This is about as silly as the "Police have a hard job, you wouldn't want to do it, therefore they can break the law, be rude and do as they please" argument.

Whether that video is factual or not is here nor there, We can only take it at face value and it warrants some investigation as to the truth of the matter.

grangies, Feb 21, 7:22am
They would have detours in place for truck drivers and general public before they approached and got stuck.

gunhand, Feb 21, 7:23am
Do we have enough to start our own political party lol.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 21, 7:24am
Detours for truck drivers at a weigh station!
What have you been smoking!

Its generally best to read the post before criticizing it.

zephyrheaven, Feb 21, 7:24am
Media release - Canterbury Police disappointed with 'boy racer' activity

Canterbury Police were disappointed with the behaviour of anti-social road
users ('boy racers') over the weekend who took part in the annual '4 n Rotary
South Island Champs', which saw large numbers of vehicles gathering to commit
traffic offences in both residential and industrial areas.

"The behaviour is absolutely unacceptable. Fortunately we had extra staff
rostered on to deal with the anticipated disorder and offending," says
Inspector Al Stewart, Canterbury Road Policing Manager.

"Fifteen vehicles were impounded for a variety of offences, including
sustained loss of traction (burnouts), and eight people were arrested at one
location where a large number of Police took two hours to deal with a crowd
of approximately 1000," says Inspector Stewart.

Police are following up a number of complaints from the weekend which will
lead to more vehicle seizures and court appearances for drivers. "We
encourage anyone that is having a problem with this activity to ring us and
make a complaint. If you have the vehicle registration number and details of
the offending, it is very likely that we can impound the vehicle and take
away their means of offending," says Inspector Stewart.

Police were concerned about the numbers of vehicles in an unsafe condition,
with 123 being ordered off the road over the weekend.

"Some of these drivers just aren't getting the message, even after we have
seen some serious crashes over the past couple of years due to uncertified
and unsafe modifications on their vehicles," says Inspector Stewart. "They
are putting themselves, their passengers and other road users at risk.

Just last week Canterbury Police dealt with a fatal crash on State Highway
75, Tai Tapu where a vehicle that had been ordered off the road twelve days
earlier due to defects left the road, killing the driver and seriously
injuring three passengers.

There was increased activity on the four avenues, in breach of the council
by-law banning cruising. "After we sent staff into the area to identify
offending vehicles, these drivers left the area and any further offending was
prevented," says Inspector Stewart.

Canterbury Police will continue to focus on these drivers until there is a
significant decrease in their activity.

There were also too many young drivers breaching the conditions of their
learner and restricted licences, after 64 drivers were dealt with for drivers
licence breaches.

"Young drivers who breach the conditions of their licence are liable to a
$100 fine and 35 demerit points and need to realise that they only need to
get caught three times to lose their licence," says Inspector Stewart.

Inspector Al Stewart - (03) 363 7417