Advice needed on buying a used toyota hilux pls

Page 1 / 2
kimmymexted, Apr 16, 4:01am
Hi my husband has found a used toyota hilux with low kms he wants to buy - its at a dealer and it seems to be quite cheap for what it is.I am concerned that there is no carpet in the front 2 seats - why would this have been done!Also what else do we need to look at when buying used wagons!

intrade, Apr 16, 4:15am
what is it year ! diesel petrol v6 or 4 cilinder ! ute 2x4 or 4x4!

kimmymexted, Apr 16, 4:19am
2011 4x4 diesel manual

intrade, Apr 16, 4:21am
depends on what engine the toyota d4d has had loads of problems. and what ever you do you will need to run a diesel additive like winns edt or chemtech to prevent worn out injector components ,Somone will post what to look for on these engines under bonnet should say what engine code it has or carjam.co.nz with numberplate

gusthe1, Apr 16, 4:30am
its a 4x4. What do you expect.

kimmymexted, Apr 16, 4:32am
Ahhh no you have me freaking!What does all this mean!!it is still under warrenty will this help!I have registered with carjam to see if this helps us out anymore
what sort of probs does the engine have!

kimmymexted, Apr 16, 4:43am
what so gusthe1 its normal for the owner to take out the carpet in the front 2 seats!

fordkiwi27, Apr 16, 4:49am
not taken out,they dont have it!mats etc are optional extras. how much are they asking.

kimmymexted, Apr 16, 4:58am
For the vehicle - $42,995 for 2011 toyota hilux 4x4 dble cab diesel with canopy nudgebar running boards towbar and alloy wheels 2 years left on warrenty - does this sound good.i think it is

bwg11, Apr 16, 5:05am
Just be aware there was a mid-2011 facelift of the HiLux range, the facelift was mainly cosmetic. Personally I would be quite comfortable buying the D4D diesel engine, the problems the early ones had should be well sorted by now.

kimmymexted, Apr 16, 5:12am
what problems did they have!

kimmymexted, Apr 16, 5:22am
and what do you mean D4D - whats the diff btwn that and the one we are looking at!

soundbeltfarm, Apr 16, 5:37am
i have a 2009 hilux 4x4 diesal and i have had the injectors all replaced and only cause i kicked up a fuss and showed them all the posts on forums in oz and uk . engine made a knock when cold and not a diesal knock. anyway they have been changed . some just get the ecu re flashed. not really sure why but i am sure it is to save money for touota.
was about a 5k job to change mine so pleased i not have to pay . i took it for a service 2 weeks ago and now toyota are saying every 45 000 km the seals on the injectors have to be replaced.
costs about 700 -800. i wish i still had my old 2.8 l .

bwg11, Apr 16, 5:55am
There was a problem with the copper washers under the injectors leaking combustion gases into the oiling system - rarely, and if routine servicing was neglected this carbon could block filters causing oil starvation leading to complete engine rebuilds. It was a rare occurence but was a dent in the Hilux's legendry reliability.
The current common rail 3 litre diesel is known as the D4D, and will be in the 2011 you are considering. Be aware some of the other Hiluxs you are comparing prices with could be auto SR5's which had a higher level of trim and were about $8000 dearer, when new, than a base model manual.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 16, 6:05am
kimmymexted, the Toyota fanclub on here will hate me for saying it BUT.
Before you buy it take your husband and go for a drive in a VW Amarok. Its the same sort of money but you don't have the silly Diesel problems. The vehicle is also a LOT more truck for your money.

To cut a long story short, Japanese manufacturers have not been making diesel cars for domestic use for over a decade. The Europeans on the other hand drive more Diesels than Petrols. During the 10 years that Japan was not making any real volume of Diesels there was a revolution in how they were made. The result is the likes of Toyota are just not in the running with regard to reliability/economy etc as have been rushing their technology to market with limited time, funds and volume of production. Thats why you get silly problems with them as listed above.

Even though the Amarok is not mainstream here it uses engines that are made in huge volumes and are far more tried and proven compared to Toyota's. The development budget and time they have had to do it is phenomenal.

Go and have a drive and be amazed! (The whole truck is much much nicer in terms of ride, handling, equpment, safety etc).

I won't bother posting in here again as there are a bunch of trolls who come and try to post silly made up nonsense to try and discredit what I say anytime they see a post from me. If I start replying to them it will only ruin your thread. Just get yourself down to have a look at one and do some proper research (if weighing someones opinion make sure they actually KNOW about the VW as many supposed mechanics will offer a loud opinion without even driving, owning or working on one). I would be surprised if you are not a convert after driving one, comparing what you get and doing some research.

I know its hard as it cuts against the grain for many to buy a European vehicle over a Japanese one for reliability. BUT when it comes to Diesels that's exactly what you want to do. Interestingly the VW will also tend to cost less in servicing as well.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 16, 6:22am
Oh, and one last thing, the smaller engines in the VW do not mean it has less power and torque than the Toyota (all though some will make out it does). It just uses more modern technolgy to get more power and economy out of a smaller capacity engine. There are two different output options for the VW Diesel though so make sure you know which one you are trying.

savanna71, Apr 16, 6:26am
Interesting comments, have you owned a Amarok Jazz! the reason i ask is i personally know of 4 ex VW customers who have traded out of Amaroks citing reliabilty as a reason.

The following website also rates the Amarok below all of its competition
http://www.dixonarchive.com/prado/default.htm

I do however agree that there are better alternatives to the over rated (in my opinion) Hilux

jason18, Apr 16, 6:27am
For the money I would rather a VW Amarok.Those toyota D4 engines seem to be dogs. !

jason18, Apr 16, 6:28am
Ford ranger looks awesome.

3tomany, Apr 16, 6:31am
jazz everyone knows the best 4x4 at the mo is the ford ranger so for posters benefit do youreself a favour and look around, toyotas are seriously overated that much jazz has right. vw is worth a drive though

thejazzpianoma, Apr 16, 6:38am
Ford Ranger is also good (for many of the same reasons the Amarok is i.e Ford benefit from making a monumental amount of European Diesel cars).

I still prefer the Amarok but hey, no harm in trying the Ford its still achieving much the same goal.

BTW, Ford in general of the last couple of years have pretty much caught up to VW technology wise. VW were just miles ahead of everyone 7 years ago and now they have some competition again.

Times change, and the key thing is Toyota are just not what they once were. I would be saying the complete opposite (and did at the time) if it were 1995.

BTW, thought I would respond since whats been said has mostly been quite sensible.

And no, I have not owned an Amarok but have had considerable experience with vehicles using similar VW Diesel drivetrains. They have all been phenomenal and of all the years and many VW's and Audi's in our family (we are talking into the dozens) we have only had one very minor fault occur which was quickly fixed under warranty. I find the VW Diesels to be about the best in the market, possibly even better than Fiats.

As far as I am aware no one who posts regularly on these boards owns one yet.

intrade, Apr 16, 6:45am
and i dont get it with no front carpets do you mean there is bear metal now somone cut the carpet out with a stanley knive or what!

gunhand, Apr 16, 6:47am
Have you seen all the whizzgiggery electronic do dads in the new Rangers, and no doubt the others as well. Wonder how it will all stand up after a few years on the farm.

intrade, Apr 16, 6:49am
gunhand its all electronic crap today even i had to move on to electronic Diesel now or i be left behind and out of a job soon

thejazzpianoma, Apr 16, 6:51am
I would say surprisingly well. Even the VW Golfs etc are amazing, when I pull the new ones apart to do timing belts etc I am always amazed at the quality of the connectors, ducting, fasteners etc.

I went from working on a 2005 Audi A3 (same as a Golf) to doing a job on a mid 90's Camrya few weeks back and what a rude awakening looking at comparatively rubbish electrical connections etc on the Camry.

The thing is, all vehicles are pretty sophisticated now, its a pointless game trying to get away from it. Volvo have taught us decades ago that its entirely possible to have sophisticated AND reliable.

I would put my money on the likes of VW and others who know how to do sophisticated and reliable over someone trying to keep it simple every time. (BTW, Just like Toyota, Volvo are no longer the epitome of reliability. they were at one stage though, times change)