Advice needed on buying a used toyota hilux pls

Page 2 / 2
thejazzpianoma, Apr 16, 7:04am
I will have electronic Diesel every time thanks!
7500km oil changes with twice the quanity of oil vs up to 40'000km intervals. its easy to see which is easier to look after!

Just like going from points to electronic ignition some (but not all) changes to electronic actually reduce maintenance and increase reliability.

gunhand, Apr 16, 7:07am
Well if the utes are made to the same standard as say a VE Commodore bits will be falling or peeling off them shorty with no provication or abuse at all. They make em flash but will they handle a bit of good old kiwi abuse. And for up to 66k for a Ranger I would want it to last.

savanna71, Apr 16, 7:09am
Seriously it has come to this, comparing vehicles 15 years apart that have hadnear 20 years exposure to the elements!

Thats clutching at straws Jazz even for you!

grangies, Apr 16, 7:10am
That is a lot cheaper than the others for the 4x4 model.

Is it a bargain, or are the others over priced!

gadgit3, Apr 16, 7:14am
$700-800 dam your getting tucked! it's a $250 job. not a $800 job

a.woodrow, Apr 16, 7:20am
I think they might have meant the entire service!

cuda.340, Apr 16, 7:30am
rather be buying the new Ranger or BT50 for that money. way more reliable.

kimmymexted, Apr 16, 7:40am
Yes it is a great price but i dont think the vw will tow our boat will it!!

intrade, Apr 16, 7:47am
yea vw will tow anything . my 1,9 has 160 horse power and close to 500nm torque . they are worlds most powerfull dieseljust take one for a drive

intrade, Apr 16, 7:50am
what ever you do do not buy a car from continental

40wav, Apr 16, 7:55am
It might have no front carpets due to being drowned in a river or even the sea. It would pay to research this anomoly further.

kimmymexted, Apr 16, 7:58am
ahhh good point 40wav - our mind is slowly being swayed to other vehicles!back to trademe for us!

snj11, Apr 16, 8:02am
Agree, just got a new VW Crafter Work van from them, all good till they have the money then they dont want to know ya

intrade, Apr 16, 8:07am
get it checked out soonest they sold a client a t4 van with cambelt done and it was not and failed and they then butchered the repair. he went to disputes tribunal and won. I now service his van all good just done lifters on the secoundhand head they fitted to his van after.

superdave0_13, Apr 16, 8:10am
Nah some of them come with vinyl instead of carpet from the factory.

a.woodrow, Apr 16, 8:11am
This seems unlikely. You would put new carpet in if you were trying to hide something like this. OP if it's vinyl in the front it's probably how it came new, if it's bare steel, ask what happened to carpet and will they replace. 2 years left on the warranty gives you some piece of mind.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 16, 9:36am
No you miss the point.

1. You can't count (10 years is the closer approximation not 15)

2. The point is the more sophisticated you get the more fussy you have to be with connections, build quality etc to maintain overall reliability. The Camry is probably every bit as reliable as the A3 I was working on. However the Camry gets away with it because it has minimal sophistication. No doubt Toyota have had to lift their game with the likes of the newer Lexus's and probably build those to a similar standard.

I was comparing older and simple to newer and sophisticated intentionally to demonstrate how its possibly to maintain the standard of reliability.

boat3, Apr 16, 9:52am
well.my 5 cents worth.my mate has a d4d hilux 4x4,its had the injectors done once,and a clutch,280,000 km,th amarok utes look ok,but.absotlutly no torque under about 1200 rpm,very easy to stall.two turbo`s and lots of whiz bang bits,i will have to say i will be keen to see what one would look like after doing as much work as the toyota,i have a idea its going to require alot more maintainance,nice tho

savanna71, Apr 16, 10:06am
To a point Jazz, but isnt the whole reason we went to LINnetworks and Flex ray etc. to REDUCE complexity

serf407, Apr 16, 10:46am
The new Nissan Navara is 7 speed and 55o Nm.
http://www.nissan.co.nz/commercial/navara/

Does the second hand Hilux have a snorkel air intake ! Some vehicles have deep water crossings. The carpet might have been cut out to help drain water out of the vehicle interior.

As well as the complexities of the common rail diesel system there is the variable vane turocharger in the D4D and that is an expensive turbo to replace.

skiff1, Apr 16, 11:09am
agree. Also amarok is tinny little afterthought from a company with next to no experience in utes and pick ups. Got two brand new utes in the past three years and got rangers both times. Hiluxes are certainly good and on paper had more power, but the gearing on the rangers was better, and the difference in price was hard to beat. Leg room for back seat was better for hilux, but the drivers seat position is weird (always has been, had three hiluxes 80, 93, and 94 and they were all weird, too low).

kimmymexted, Apr 17, 2:35am
well now i am really confused!how do we know what sort of wagon is strong enough to tow our boat then!its 400kg bare boat, 150kg motor and not sure on trailor

bwg11, Apr 17, 3:16am
kimmymexted - looks as ifyour boat would be under 1000kg with trailer gear and fuel. Any of the vehicles mentioned her would pull it easily. 4WD would only be needed for beach launching or steep slipery ramps.

Don't be confused by the resident Toyota haters, any of the japanese utes would be great.There have ben a lot of new models released over the last 18 months and most will out power the Hilux. I have just towed a 2000kg boat with a ST-X (450) Navara on steep hills, bags of power once over 2000 rpm, but really flat under that. Never driven an Amorak, but suspect it would be the same. A friend bought the previous model BT50 in preference to the Hilux because ot better low down power. Take the Hilux for a demo with the boat on.

3tomany, Apr 17, 9:51am
thats not a lot of weight you could pull that with a front wheel drive car but you obviously need to get of the ramp so any 4x4 will do, just buy what you like its youre choise. if it was me ranger: but you are not me buy what you like