Replacing SRS airbag control unit.

Page 1 / 2
picksta, May 2, 2:47am
have 11 year Hyundai Lantra, airbag light staying on, been to dealer, wants $1400 to repalce SRS control unit , and no gaurantee this will solve issue (sounds too good to be true really), anyway, got hold of 2nd hand unit and wondered if there would be any issues to be wary of if changing myself. Will go back to auto electrician afterwards , but to save a bit of cash, is there any traps to be wary of , ie don't want the bag going off when unit is unplugged or something like that, cheers.

hopie, May 2, 2:56am
yup, unplug your battery for a couple of hours before you do this.

foxdonut, May 2, 3:00am
Tough call on this one.

I have a friend with basically the same car. The issue wasn't the unit as first suspected, it was the cabling under the passenger seat taking one knock too many.

Maybe get a second opinion from another mechanic! Accidentally setting the airbag off pretty much takes the car off the road for good.

Cough, you could always get behind the dash and take the airbag light out. cough.

elect70, May 2, 3:06am
^^^ yep9 out ten times its the problem, had it on 2 cars ive owned .Its to do with seat belt pretensionersconnections gettingmoisture in themlast time they cut connector out & permanantly wired them .

intrade, May 2, 3:45am
dont mess with the wiring while battery is conected. battery has to be off and ignition on for 30 minutes to make sure no power is active to deploy airbags while messing with wire.

kazbanz, May 2, 3:50am
picksta--take it to a local sparky I agree 9 out of 10 is wiring issues

realtrader1, May 2, 5:58am
So are you saying disconnect battery and then switch ignition on for 30 mins!Please excuse my ignorance but what would that do if the battery is disconnected.Is it somehow drain out any residual current!Please explain further thanks.

mugenb20b, May 2, 5:59am
*Cough* that will result in a wof failure.

But.you could wire in a timer that brings the light on and off*cough*.

mugenb20b, May 2, 5:59am
*Cough* that will result in a wof failure.

But.you could wire in a timer that brings the light on and off again *cough*.

pickles26, May 2, 6:14am
You just unplug it. Then unbolted it. You will need a security bit set. When you unplug it a few of the pins will short to ground disarming the system.

pickles26, May 2, 6:14am
You just unplug it. Then unbolt it. You will need a security bit set. When you unplug it a few of the pins will short to ground through the specially designed plug disarming the system.

mantagsi, May 2, 6:29am
This post is on the money - 9.9 times out of 10 there is a correct manufacturers advised method to 'disarm' the airbags. Disconnecting the battery for half an hour with a device on to drain all current isnt a bad start but I would definately ensure you disarm the bags properly. Some bags just need unplugging, others can be a bit trickier. Wish I could give you detailed advice on your car but cant sorry :( be careful

realtrader1, May 2, 7:15am
Okay, so tread carefully. That's what the whole game has become!So many pitfalls everywhere.

mantagsi, May 2, 8:07am
Look on youtube for videos of folks setting off airbags, there are some where they put them in a microwave, in a frozen lake, under a guys chair etc but the point is they pack a hell of a punch :P

picksta, May 2, 8:41am
This was what the first auto electrician told me was the fault, but couldn't be cleared, they checked connections etc, then said I needed to go to dealer to get sorted.they showed up same fault but also voltage issue in control unit. Sounds like there has to be 0 power running through system when unplugging, and hope this enough to avoid 'deployment'. what could possibly go wrong!

supernova2, May 2, 8:51am
Simple remove anything thats in the way then get the dealer to swp the unit.I have no idea but to do the swap would be what! 5 mins if its just an unplug and replug situation.That removes all the guess work.

tigra, May 2, 9:07pm
Been an issue on my Alfa 1562 or 3 times- sometimes after vacuuming the car and moving the front seats around too much.LOL generally its a wiring issue as others have stated but some cars need to be put on a diagnostic machine to reset it properly.

intrade, May 2, 9:12pm
you can buy powerfull obd2 diagnostic tools your self and reset airbag faults but you have to be carfull reading forums how to do. as on early volkswagen for example resetting the airbag stuffs the controler. only 1 specific module number is affected by this for the vw example so you just got to research it all first. Dont know if there is forums for hiunday and it myght still be a mitsubisheap clone if it is a older model.

lyonruge, May 2, 9:15pm
What srs course have you done! thatsa load of rubbish.

intrade, May 2, 9:16pm
you can mess with the airbag solong as the battery is not connected and ignition was in on position for 30 minutes this is the basic way on how to dsicharge the power from the controller
Normally if airbag light is on airbag wont deploy in accident. keep the in mind . i just googled there are forums on the net

intrade, May 2, 9:18pm
each car is different of course its why i said he should find a forum
the battery disconection is for fiat mid 90s like late model tipo early punto

lyonruge, May 2, 9:22pm
I wouldnt believe everything you read on the net.
OP - Disconnect the battery, 2-3 mins is fine. Locate as many of the srs plugs you can find, you may just have an oxydised connection, unplug and reconnect a few times, be careful with the plugs, there are generally a two way locking system on m most, and most are yellow. Look under the seats as well, may have pretensionors, do the same with those plugs, contact cleaner wont hurt. Once youve done that go and see if the light can be reset, you may may have to pay again, try an auto electritian, and see if you find out what the code is/was, most scan tools will give you an idea, a lot of franchise dealers arent too keen on telling you. from my experience, a lot of srs fault codes come from seatbelt/buckles/plugs etc, more so than modules.

lyonruge, May 2, 9:26pm
If you do clear the light, turn the key on or start up, and plug in and unplug seatbelts in to buckles afew times, and move the seats back and forward, see if this triggers the srs light, then at least youll know where to start.

lyonruge, May 2, 9:28pm
look for connectors behind the side kickpanels, by the acc pedal, some times they are joined there, i had a honda odysey that had been diagnosed by someone else as a module, turned out to be the plug was dirty/corroded behind the kick panel on drivers side.

picksta, May 3, 12:49am
Thanks lyonruge, appreciate your suggestions, I will have a go in next day or so to check out any plugs I can find (with battery disconnected ofcourse). Just not sure if I can trust local dealer , knowing he couldn't sell me a $1400 unit he may try to make up a bit of a bs story to get me to spend money on some other 'complications' .