Ignition barrel problem. Dealer or locksmith?

barrie2, May 12, 5:16am
My key(s) will not always turn in ignition barrel. Push in - then solid, no movement at all. Take out, retry indefinitely until at last it turns and starts up. Almost an hour the other day. Please tell me what you guys would do. (I suppose I must tell you it is a PT Cruiser)!

unbeatabull, May 12, 5:37am
Will either be the key or the barrel, if your spare has hardly been used and that is no better it will most likely be in the barrel. You can get some special stuff that you spray into them that can help, but most of the time the barrel will need to be removed and sent to a locksmith

gizmsme, May 12, 5:57am
Never put liquid in a lock, get some graphite.

40wav, May 12, 7:54am
It's not just your steering lock is it! Wiggle the steering wheel when trying the key. Sorry if that seems dumb but sometimes it's just really simple things that peolpe are not aware of.

les6, May 12, 7:55am
happened to me like that(not a pt cruiser)and a fresh cut key solved it.

barrie2, May 12, 8:01am
No, 40wav - not that. thanks though as it was worth a mention. Will get key cut Monday to eliminate that. Both keys appear equally worn by the way. I am now having to leave one key in the ignition as I dare not remove it. just in case it won't turn again.

rhys75, May 12, 8:03am
crc m8

sewnup, May 12, 8:16am
my prado was did the same,took the ignition barrel into a lock smith and they fixed it, two new keys ,same cut as the old ones so they still work in the doors ,$90 cheers

les6, May 12, 10:00am
temporary fix,then completly stuffed in the not too distant future.

unbeatabull, May 12, 11:12am
Yup. The stuff we have at work is a graphite mix compound that you put in there, I think Wurth sell it, can't remember the brand for certain though.

elshaun, May 12, 7:33pm
The PT cruiser has a "fragile" ignition barrel.When I worked at the Chrysler dealer, I replaced several ignition barrels with the same fault.Almost always caused by a heavy bunch of keys attached to the keyring.No easy fix sorry, but to relpace the barrel assembly (and remove the weight from the key)

barrie2, May 13, 5:10am
elshaun - thanks. To replace the barrel do I need to go to dealership! I see them on ebay but will I need new keys with (expensive) "transponders"! sp. Bought car with 92k on so no idea of previous weight on key ring. I only ever have car & house keys on. Cheers.

bellky, May 13, 5:13am
We had the same problem in a '98 Disco - I got a good complete ignition barrel from the wreckers and put it in myself - cost was two fiddy for the part.

barrie2, May 13, 5:42am
I am concerned that a barrel & keys from a wreck may need some sort of expensive "tuning in" to work with computer chip! Sorry for sounding a bit dumb. but I am.One tip off the 'forum' is to tape an old key within steering column housing so that is 'read' whenever 2nd hand key is turned. Any replies .please.

soph001, May 13, 9:25am
This is correct. All those other "solutions" of new keys will not help in this situation. Also, Pour as much liquid lubricant into locks as you desire - it flushes out dirt & grease, and loosens any stuck wafers. Graphite is basically just adding more dirt to an already dirty place.

skin1235, May 13, 4:15pm
in theory that should work as long as the taped key is close enough to trigger the receiver ( and thats the unknown - the signal may or may not be strong enough to penetrate to the receiver from outside the barrel)
I'm not even sure which end of the key the transponder is located, nor where the optimum trigger area would be but if the transponder is in the handle end it should be able to excite the receiver
I say theory cos I've never had occasion to try it

tigra, May 13, 7:46pm
I know this sounds unlikely but I struck this problem and discovered that the auto shifter was not sitting in Park properly every time/Pushing the shifter forward as I turned the key solved the problem. It does it occasionally.

a.woodrow, May 13, 11:38pm
Pouring any kind of liquid lubricant into a lock is a short term fix as it gums up with dust and other particles. Dry lubricants such as graphite powder do not gum up with the dust and so maintain their lubricating properties. I've replaced many ignition barrells that people have sprayed a bit of crc or whatever in the thoughts of she'll be right. End result is always a gummed up ignition barrell

bellky, May 13, 11:56pm
My experience on old cars has been this.

barrie2, May 16, 5:43am
Update: Key Accessories (local crowd) took item to bits and found first 2 wafers slightly bent due to years of thrusting key into ignition. Straightened & filed smooth the 2 wafers and it now turns every time. Hope it lasts, thanks for all contributions to my very frustrating problem.