Want to take vehicle to Australia

Page 1 / 2
spunkeymonkey, May 9, 2:04am
I would l;like to take a vehicle over to Australia, It is an Old 1988 Mitsubishi Pajero. What does one need to do and where can I find out all the information about this.
Also are you allowed to put personal items in the vehicle such as Linen, Knives Forks, Kitchen utensils, clothes, jugs, toasters, cups, plates, tools, tool box, bedding and such. TIA

fordkiwi27, May 9, 2:08am
why! too much red tape.

martin11, May 9, 2:09am
Why bother its too old you may have trouble with parts over there .
Could cost you more than its worth

a.woodrow, May 9, 3:13am
Just buy a pajero over there.

poppajn, May 9, 4:05am
Doubt ifyou,d get it in. We,ve just looked at doing the oppisite and it does,nt stack up,

phillip.weston, May 9, 4:10am
if you've owned it for 12+ months in NZ then you can bring it in as a personal import, but you must register and get approved to do this within 6 months of landing in Aus and then you can bring it in at your own time. It will cost at least $3000 to do this given the shipping and compliance costs. The aircon needs to be degassed when it enters Australia too.

As people have said above - why bother for a 1988 model! I would even say why bother for a 1998 model also. A 2008 model would be a different story though. The older Pajeros in Australia are CHEAP and plentiful - you would be MUCH better off selling the Pajero in NZ and then buying another similar model in Australia - there are LOTS to choose from!

murph2068594, May 9, 9:06am

tnt423, May 9, 9:08am
Only way it would be worth while is if you stacked it full of drugs.

maddog007, May 9, 9:35am
crazy, i know of a guy who wanted to take his less than 1 year old 407 over, even with an expensive car, it was a pointless exercise.

franc123, May 9, 12:16pm
Many people who have done this or attempted to do this say they wouldn't do it again. Buy something over there that was intended for the Australian market and avoid a heap of hassles and expense. Theres all sorts of stupid regulations involved which also vary slightly depending on what state you are going to, although they are a bit easier on over 15yo cars.

phillip.weston, May 10, 2:13am
if you have owned it for 12+ months in your home country, and you complete the application to bring it in as a personal import the car doesn't have to go through a strict compliance or be subject to large taxes like the other imports do.

phillip.weston, May 10, 2:15am
Check out http://ironladyimports.com - Kristian there was very helpful with information.

elect70, May 10, 3:52am
An aussie was working here on contract for 3 years so bought hisXYGTfalcon over,NZ customs madehim put up a bondbut hesaid getting it back into Aus was a nightmarenearly forfieted it, had to getpapers showing ithad been usedin Nz full time, fuel receiptsWOfpapers etc .

fryan1962, May 10, 10:26am
You do what you want, and I understand.But your wagon has to be empty, I bought one back this way,and I was going to load it up with my stuff but they do not allow

fryan1962, May 10, 10:30am
you guys are harsh he knows the vehicle and he will use over there,and I am guessing he was going to load it up saving on packing

I bought Car motorbike,and household 5k, I think it was 12 mnths before I was allowed to sell.that is not going to happen, I had to re vin here as well

martin11, May 10, 8:12pm
Strange I know a person who shipped their camper over to Aus from nz for 12 months with all of their gear in it and had no problems . Ran it on the nz reg and warrent system get that trough the AAbut had to have it out of aus within the 12 month period . Parts supply in the back parts of aus for older vehicles is a problem if you have breakdowns . And sometimes the standard fuel tank is not big enough . Saw a Toyota flat deck in Cooper pedy that had been fitted with a 700 litertank , they got there through the center desert . Also the chassis on some of their off road 4x4 have been modified to suit the conditions .

matthew111, May 10, 10:29pm
why! Its horrendously expensive. They do have cars in Australia.

a.woodrow, May 10, 11:12pm
they probably used a carnet de passage, whole different fish

spead, May 10, 11:21pm
Im sure next to no one does that.

tigra, May 10, 11:23pm
So if you bring it back do you have to revin it!

a.woodrow, May 10, 11:26pm
People doing world tours on their motorbikes and caravans quite often do.

spunkeymonkey, May 11, 12:15am
Thank you for your information and help

spunkeymonkey, May 11, 12:16am
What do you think this is "Underbelly" !

spunkeymonkey, May 11, 12:17am
very helpful site thank you

spunkeymonkey, May 11, 12:20am
thank you fryan1962 at least someone has read that part of this thread I started.