Great Wall problems

Page 1 / 3
alandale, Jul 3, 8:02am
Has anyone had problems with rust and corrision in and around the firewall brackets, or any rust coming between the seams!

alandale, Jul 3, 8:12am
Still under warranty, under 40,000 kms, yes our own, 2010. Have been happy with it up until driveshaft bearing dried up and now had on order for 4 wks x Oz, which is incorrect so we found out, x China!

shane.64, Jul 3, 9:27am
Everything comes from there now .Its good to see they finally got a band name of there own .Nothing last long from there but that's why they are doing so well every one likecheap now

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 3, 9:47am
Mapman will be along shortly to explain that the problems are all in your head.

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 3, 9:48am
There's a big difference between things manufactured in China to westerner controlled standards and things manufactured in China to Chinese controlled standards.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 3, 10:59am
+1
People don't seem to understand that unlike the Japanese and some other manufacturing countries, the Chinese have an underlying cultural ethos of cutting as many corners as possible in the name of making a buck.

gunhand, Jul 3, 11:01am
Possably, but theres a huge market feeding it. Someone wants the product.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 3, 11:05am
The market feeding their Chinese brand vehicles is still predominantly domestic, where there are not a lot of alternatives like we have. (such as cheap used Japanese Utes).

Plus China has a culture of "bling" where its all about having "new" to show off your social status.

johnf_456, Jul 3, 11:05am
Yep you only have to blame the people that buy into it.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 3, 11:08am
Unfortunately Kiwi's will fall for the marketing every time. You only have to look at some of our most popular cars like the Suzuki Swift and Hyundai's, to see how people are falling over themselves to lap up inferior product because the marketing is good and the other sheep are buying it.

There seems to be almost no one left who does their own math.

gunhand, Jul 3, 11:09am
We are getting there though, I see more and more on the roads all the time of late. And not parkd on the side with bonnets up.

johnf_456, Jul 3, 11:10am
I agree but suzuki swifts and Hyundai's are not even in the same boat has chinese manufactured cars with poor quality steel. Not to mention copying everyone elses designs.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 3, 11:14am
I don't expect to see them on the side of the roads with their bonnets up. Just like I don't see lifan motorcycles on the side of the road.

For one, there are not enough of them around to see that phenomenon. Secondly thats not the issue, its issues like the corrosion and multiple uneconomical to fix problems taking these vehicles off the roads after just a few years of service that is the real issue.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 3, 11:15am
You are correct. It was not my intention to compare the vehicles I was just using them as an example of marketing. In a way I should have used a non-automotive example like Brother printers, MYOB or Bose lifestyle systems.

johnf_456, Jul 3, 11:17am
Yep, after looking at some crash tests of them and talking to a old client who foolishly bought one. They are nothing but trouble, quality control is non existent.

MYOB is a good one, its one over hyped rubbish program that is over priced and poor functionality in my opinion. Yet some company's think that is the only accounting software out there to use. Anyways back on topic.

franc123, Jul 3, 11:17am
So when are you going to offer your services to Ateco or whoever they're called to star in a new TV ad campaign for Fiat! Perhapsyou and that guy who used to advertise Lada Samara's could get together and sing a duet or something that repeats over and over.

sr2, Jul 3, 11:18am
Not quite as simple as you may think. I've had experience with having goods manufactured in China to as you put it "western standards"; sadly the price per unit mentality is still a hard barrier to break through. Yes they do have the ability to put quality before price but still have a long way to go.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 3, 11:22am
I will never offer any services to that rubbish company. They are rude, underhanded and couldn't market themselves out of a damp paper bag.

If I had the money I would out bid them and take their importing rights away on principle.

franc123, Jul 3, 11:39am
Well therein lies the problem then, non existant marketing. So Punto's won't be outselling Swift's on the local market any time soon then!

thejazzpianoma, Jul 3, 11:48am
Thats it in a nutshell. When did you last see a T.V add for Fiat in NZ!

Such a shame because their vehicles are ideal for the NZ market. They do a super economical, reliable, galvanised cheap to buy ute that I think would be really popular. The 4WD Panda thats also cheap to buy and cheap to run that should appeal to the RAV market.

Then of course there are the well price regular 2WD cars most of which should sell like hot cakes here.

Sadly though, Ateco are lazy and incompetent and don't even try.

r15, Jul 3, 11:58am
you forget most of fiats vehicles look terrible though,

this isnt russia, we give a shit what things look like here

thejazzpianoma, Jul 3, 12:02pm
Yeah thats right, the Guigiaro designed Grande Punto and its family look terrible. and the Mona Lisa is a cave drawing. Pull the other one!

(BTW, I have a current shape Grande Punto and its very much admired wherever it goes, along with my Alfa 156 JTS from the same design house)

elect70, Jul 3, 12:05pm
I have found chinese bearings to be utter crap, in electric motors & pumpsunsealedbut no provision for greasing . Life- around 18 -24 months , just long enough to out of warranty . Now i get customers to buy it themselves if they wantthat cheap crap .

incar., Jul 3, 12:54pm
Agree, i look after alot of electric carts/buses and forever replacing wheel bearings, steering rack bearings etc, just done a mini bus that carries people up and down mt eden summit (245kms from new) everything gets jap replacements, cant have the MP's rolling down mt eden!

tgray, Jul 3, 8:21pm
Jazz as usual, is not giving Kiwi's enough credit. People that buy new vehicles are not fools and most will do the research before parting with this kind of money.
And it's not just Kiwi's buying swifts and Hyundai's.
These cars are getting excellent consumer reviews worldwide, and that is not a reflection of what you call inferior products.
Yes you love your Fiat's, but your bias goes too far in lambasting everything else, including brands that offer quality, reliability and value for money.
The worldwide sales figures speak for themselves. People buy them because they are making a product that actually has a demand. Fiat is clearly not for everyone and a niche market of mainly enthusiasts.
I won't reply, so feel free to continue your monologue on their virtues, but be aware, few are listening.