Opinions on best 7 seater.

Page 1 / 2
kim125, Jun 24, 3:55am
Not a van body or people mover type. We currently have a Toyota Prado. Looking for upgrade. Opinions wanted in terms of which 7 seater is a safe, reasonably problem free vehicle

mugenb20b, Jun 24, 3:58am
Price range!

kim125, Jun 24, 4:04am
Under 20k.

mugenb20b, Jun 24, 4:12am
OK, for that kind of money, most cars will be reliable and safe, but at the end of the day, you can only get what you feel comfortable driving. I would personally look at a Toyota Ipsum, Nissan Presage and Mitsubishi Grandis. The Nissan and Mitsi have CVTs which seem to be OK if serviced, and the Tojo will have a standard but sturdy auto box.

phillip.weston, Jun 24, 4:13am
Mitsubishi Outlander
Hyundai Santa Fa
Holden Captiva (go diesel)
Ford Territory (if you don't mind higher fuel consumption)
Honda Odyssey
Toyota Ipsum (though it would not be at the top of my list)
Mazda MPV

thejazzpianoma, Jun 24, 4:58am
If you are just buying a 4WD type for the looks you are nuts, especially as you are wanting reasonably problem free and we assume reasonable running costs.

kim125, Jun 24, 6:50am
What are the cons of a 4wd! Compared to others!

msigg, Jun 24, 7:13am
Yea the late model santa fa looks great, The one your selling was one of the best in their day. Good luck.

mugenb20b, Jun 24, 7:51am
Fuel economy and possibly slightly higher servicing costs. However, I live on a semi rural property and I have recently upgraded my wife's car. I made up my mind to get a 2wd 7 seater, rather than a 4wd. What a mistake.as soon as it rains, our cars are useless, can't tow a trailer in the back paddock, can't deliver supplies for our animals, etc. Of course, not a problem when the weather's dry. Oh well, walking's good for your health.

amberjandal, Jun 24, 8:08am
I would get a 2006 on 6 speed all wheel drive Territory , A bit thirsty but no RUC and cheap to service. You might need to spend more like 25K. TX 7 seat.

mouse_y, Jun 24, 8:16am
You can get a 2004Chrysler Voyager low k's all leather plus trims for way under 20k

phillip.weston, Jun 24, 9:35am
But then you would have a Chrysler Voyager. one of the biggest POS vehicles on the market.

kazbanz, Jun 25, 12:00am
Short version being you want a 4x4 then!
In that case unless theres something wrong with the prado--stick with what you've got.

phillip.weston, Jun 25, 12:28am
no where did she specify she needed a 4WD - maybe she wants an upgrade of space and better fuel economy. I would be looking at people movers or the 7-seat softroaders.

tazcsv, Jun 25, 12:36am
She does not want a ppl mover tho and depending on which prado they have fuel may not come into it either.

kazbanz, Jun 25, 3:53am
sorry mon--she said she DIDDNTwant a van or people mover type in the origonal post

bwg11, Jun 25, 3:57am
Why not a newer Prado if your current one ticks all the boxes!

mugenb20b, Jun 25, 5:31am
Would she prefer a 2 door hatchback maybe!

kim125, Jun 25, 8:43am
Looks like the best option!

phillip.weston, Jun 25, 9:17am
why not to get a Prado! it's not very good value for money if all you are going to do is cart kids around, they aren't very spacious inside at all considering how much room they take up on the outside, servicing is expensive and has to happen more frequently, it's not as safe with barely any safety features (compared to something more modern for the same price).

intrade, Jun 25, 9:20am
does it need to be 7 seat!

tazcsv, Jun 25, 9:37pm
That would depend on what you use it for. They are no more expensive than any other deisel to service and there safety still stacks up well.

kazbanz, Jun 25, 11:13pm
Thinking about this for a bit to answer your question it would be usefull to ask questions.
What is it about your prado you like/want in a new vehicle.!
What about the prado don't you like !
What sort of vehicle do you define as "people mover shape"!
Are you using the prado as an offroad vehicle at any time!

mopsy3, Jun 25, 11:20pm
I think they may only come in 7 seaters in the Ghia or Turbo ghia range so would be more than $25 for a decent one.

tazcsv, Jun 25, 11:49pm
Did they ever make a decent one tho :)
There Prado would still be 10 times the vehical.