Opinions on best 7 seater.

Page 2 / 2
phillip.weston, Jun 26, 12:04am
Dollar for dollar you would be getting an older Prado with higher kms that you could get a Territory or other soft-roader based people mover. The Prado IS more expensive to service than many of the modern diesels. A 90s or early 2000s Prado (which is all you will be getting for $20k or less) still requires to be serviced every 5,000kms and needs 7-8L of diesel oil plus a $30 oil filter. Tyres are $250+ each and the ladder chassis frame plus extra high center of gravity doesn't do wonders for its handling. Not to mention only two air bags (side air bags aren't even an option!) and no stability control program. Plus there's the shallow floors and cramped space in the rear, which while will be the same case with the Territory but at least the Territory is smaller on the outside.

Don't get me wrong the Prado is a great off-road vehicle - but it's not the vehicle you want to have to cart around 6 other people in comfort, and safely too.

tazcsv, Jun 26, 12:13am
Yes but the prado will still be going long afer the territory.

phillip.weston, Jun 26, 12:34am
Why does that matter when you are likely to sell it before it reaches 250,000kms! The Territory would be more than capable of doing just as many miles as the Prado - the 4.0 Falcon six is top notch and if you get a 2006 onwards Territory it will have the ZF 6 speed transmission too while the Prado lags behind with an aging 4 speed.

I'm not having a go at saying the Prado is unreliable or a bad vehicle, you are just completely missing my point that it's not a good people mover when there are vehicles out there which do a far better job for less money.

gman35, Jun 26, 5:19am
Do NZers not get sick of driving bl**dy "trucks" !A Prado has the comfort and refinement of a tractor compared to a Territory , and I am the first to rubbish Aussie built vehicles normally.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 26, 5:55am
+1
Couldn't have put it better myself.