Cheapest way to get a vehicle from Chch to Akl?

Page 1 / 2
jarmillar, Aug 5, 10:04am
I've just bought a Nissan Navara in Christchurch and need to get it to Auckland. I was going to fly down and drive it back, but if I can get it shipped, either by road or boat, i'd probably go for that option depending on the price. Anyone got any ideas/prices/good experiences/bad experiences for this!

mrfxit, Aug 5, 10:07am
2 door/double cab/ full ute & canopy
Could sleep 1 night in it & drive 2 days cheapest way

thunderbolt, Aug 5, 10:09am
Train, try toll

morrisman1, Aug 5, 10:14am
road trip!

starry8, Aug 5, 10:21am
www.captaintransporter.co.nz - Give Tony a call! Overnight service from Wellington to HB. So give him 2-3 days and you will be sorted. Can even get an instant online quote: $791.20

carclan, Aug 5, 10:30am
Kiwirail, I always move them this way and found nothing cheaper or better.

supernova2, Aug 5, 10:30am
According to Toll/tranzlink website $511 + GST.We used them a couple of years ago for Ch to Ro and it was about $350 then.Was far cheeper than the fly/drive when you cost it all out.

pc_evo, Aug 5, 10:43am
Drive, cost me $426 to drive a car from auckland all the way to temuka, that includes, flight, 2 packets smokes, 2.5 tanks gas, ferry, 1 sausage roll, 1 sandwich, 1 whopper with cheese meal, 1 double cheeseburger, 2 bottles watter, 1 NOS, 1 V black (think thats all)

motorboy2011, Aug 5, 10:46am
my dad relocates campers and rentals on the side from chch to auck and vise versa. do you want me to see what he charges!

supernova2, Aug 5, 11:13am
How!
Airfare $250
Ferry $170
Fuel say $200thats $620 plus food plus accommodation etc
Just a tad more than your $426

bashfulbro, Aug 5, 11:23am
Tollcharged me a little over $500 for a station wagon

pc_evo, Aug 5, 11:47am
To correct you, airfare cost me $84 inc flight insurance of $10 (optional) via jetstar :P
accomodation, sleep in the car, if i hadnt been behind time due to mechanical issues, i would have done it in one hit. akl to temuka 15.5 hours, plus 2 hour wait for ferry, 3.5 hour total ferry time. YES I COULD HAVE DRIVEN THE WHOLE WAY, had 1 hour sleep just before ferry, and 1.5 hours on ferry. (truck driver)

lugee, Aug 5, 12:20pm
Where on earth did you get $250 for a national one way flight from!

kevin.b, Aug 5, 6:01pm
Have you thought of sending it via sea. Someone like www.coastall.co.nz or one of the other shipping companies may do the trick. Last time I sold a car I sent it from Chch to Wellington via boat, as the cost at the time was the cheapest I could find.

tuttyclan, Aug 5, 8:10pm
Fly$ 39
Ferry$ 173
Fuel$ 200
(1) Camp site (optional) $30

Total cost$ 442

Fly down drive back,stay somewhere one night and be back in Auckland the following day.Thats the cheapest!
Food not included as got to eat wherever you are anyway.

the-lada-dude, Aug 6, 12:53am
try ringing some car rental Co's as some times they have to move cars around the country, they might even pay you to take one to sth idetc

curlcrown, Aug 6, 2:16am
Seemslot of people think their time is worth nothing.

smac, Aug 6, 2:24am
Some people's is.

supernova2, Aug 6, 7:53am
Air NZ web site.

philltauranga, Aug 6, 8:17am
Cheapest way. Hitch hike to Wellington $0, Stowaway on ferry $0, Hitch to Chch $0, Remove No plates fill car at gassy and drive off,to picton $0, Steal someone elces car pass for ferry $0, Drive home to Auck on stolen gas $0, Steal food from roadside fruit stalls on journey $0, Get bail on mastercard $0.
There you go "priceless"

r.g.nixon, Aug 6, 8:21am
Sell it in Christchurch. Then buy the equivalent in Auckland!

poppajn, Aug 6, 8:42am
Grabaseat.My mate,s son just got one $118 Invercargill to Auckland.

supernova2, Aug 6, 9:14am
The cheep seat deals IMHO are only an option if you not particular when you want to travel.For my pricing exercise I just went to the web and asked for a price for the 7th Aug and thats what I got given.I've gone thru this exercise several times and I've never found a better way than just "shove in on a truck".Buying something out of town and then leaping in and driving it 500km is ofter fraught with small problems.We got on e once with a WOF that only had half the brake master cyl so whilst it was drivable I wouldn't be too happy driving it 500K, and probably part of that or maybe most of that driving at night.Mind you did drive daughters car back from napier once running on various jump leads following a wiring fire.Turning on the left indicator tooted the horn but not the other way around!

gofer0007, Aug 6, 12:09pm
I bought a TD 200 Discovery in Chch and am flying down for $55 grabs seat, driving straight back and sleeping in a cheap motel and making a road trip out it. Man I love driving!Down Friday and home by Sunday night, yesssss. $500 all up.

snoopy221, Aug 6, 12:48pm
Mate suprised ya not sellin dsa t shirts.
Ya roit Luve it-PRICELESS