Finance owing on a brought vehicle

Page 2 / 5
austingtir, Aug 2, 6:19am
Wow, this guys posts are a prime example of why to be careful when dealing privately with other people.Alot of people either dont fully understand financing or are happy to tick up and do a runner.

smac, Aug 2, 6:21am
Perhaps go do some reading on the concept of 'security'. The debt involves the car because the seller listed the car as security on the loan i.e. if I don't pay, you can have the car. A person is no good to them as security, as in NZ you're not allowed to sell people.

3wheelnut, Aug 2, 6:22am
My advice FWIW, DO NOT TRUST CARJAM!
Even if you had paid for the report it might not have shown. They accept NO responsibility for reports which are not accurate. My boss was burnt 3 times based on written, and paid for reports. Yes I know, once, bad luck twice silly, 3 times just plain dumb. Now use LTSA to check.

fordkiwi27, Aug 2, 6:23am
find,kneecap,money card and pin,done

smac, Aug 2, 6:24am
You're right, at a three count you'd start to look for the common factor in those transactions wouldn't you.

sw20, Aug 2, 6:29am
The user.

Incidently you can text the rego plate to FIND and it will text you back if it has a security lodged against it, all for $1.

usdefault, Aug 2, 6:33am
Get the plates changed at DVLA, register it to a girlfriend and change your address.

Or pay the thousands.

Or try and sort it with finance company.

pollymay, Aug 2, 6:34am
Love that service.

metzeler, Aug 2, 6:34am
"long story short we struck a really good deal,"
There is an old saying you know.Probably dont really need to use carjam eh.

trouser, Aug 2, 6:39am
Good for parts!

mitsiboy69, Aug 2, 7:30am
Yea well I have never been stupid enough to get a loan to buy a car so I don't know how it works. But as someone said there should be a law that prevents this from happening. I have owned 30 cars and I have never ever checked that money might be owing on the car before purchasing.

Good luck to the OP I hope the prick ends up paying.

kazbanz, Aug 2, 7:36am
Look mon I aint having a go at ya here but unless you are pretty sure of your advice I'd suggest not posting.in this particular situation. The trouble is this isn't a hypothetical discussion but someone looking for a real solution to a fairly big issue.
You have been pretty lucky if youve owned 30 cars and never had a security on any of em.
To answer your question there is a Law in place. always has been. The OP failed to do their checks is all.
Incidently I suspect that in the not too distant future the PPSR will indeed show up of the registered owner file.
I do a security check even on a $500 trade in.

zephyrheaven, Aug 2, 7:38am
Ill be watching you.

mitsiboy69, Aug 2, 7:43am
Pretty sure I'm the only one who has actually given a logical piece of advice. Which was to tell the Police. The guy who sold this car should be tracked down and made to pay.

xs1100, Aug 2, 8:57am
or people could follow the steps that everyone else does and be ok.
at least you have declared its yr own fault OP.personally i would be trying to contact the guys family also

xs1100, Aug 2, 8:59am
yeh so the nz police can do a similar job as to whats been done to kim dotcom

friendly_prawn, Aug 2, 9:04am
Apparently its possible to borrow money right before releasing car to the buyer so that there is no chance of money showing as owing on a vehicle.
Or so I'm told. If thats true then a determined crook will still get you.

supernova2, Aug 2, 11:43am
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha-
hahahahaha.By all means tell the Police but don't expect them to do aything.The problem is the OP did not do the correct checks and therefore the Police will simply say "Cival Matter" and walk away.Yes we all know that the vendor committed theft/fraud etc etc etc but the Police will still say "Cival Matter" which is unfortunately there standard answer to anything that might require good old fashioned police work.

If you really kick up a stin k at the plod you might get somewhere but you will no doubt need to involved the Police Complaint Authority and go through all sorts of grief.Depending on the amount involved it might be worth the bother.

As i understand it you have been told by the people at his address that he has gone to Oz but can you be sure that it actually true!Do you have his name if so sit down with thge phone book and start ringing every listing with same surname - chances are you will get his mum or dad.People can be found you just have to do lots of leg work.Good luck

supernova2, Aug 2, 11:47am
Are you saying you bought the car on day one and on day two went back to find "has done a runner".That in itself sounds suspect.I suppose the next question is did you actually buy it from the person who took out the loan!As others have asked what is it and how much did you pay and whats oweing to the Finance Coy!

kazbanz, Aug 2, 11:13pm
Just to clarify-I am in the trade. I deal with finance co's on a daily basis.
Getting the crook to face justice is hard enough in NZ let alone overseas.
SO the general advice given is to dealo with the situation NOW.
This means either looking over your shoulder every time you drive. OR doing what is needed to save the situation.

jason18, Aug 3, 12:50am
There is a thread with a really good debt collector aaron someone. From a bike forum I think! Someone here will know what im talking about. I would give him a buzz.

chris_051, Aug 3, 12:57am
Can you deregister it! Or will the finance co.still come after the last owner!
If you have all his details to carry out change of ownership online, I'd change it into his name, buy a crashed one etc of the same make and swap plates and tags assuming the reg is still live and no money owing.

magicmat, Aug 3, 1:13am
Made this mistake several years ago but the other way around. Went overseas and sold a car I owed money on but kept paying the car off (ok, so black mark there as I didnt tell the person. I know. I know.).
I thought as long as I kept paying for the car nothing would go wrong and it didnt. for about 6 months. Out of the blue the person managed to track me down overseas, though I never hid my location or tried to hide my contact details, they told me the car had been repossessed!

So had to pay for the entire amount (which was not easy) anyway so they could get the car back. so it really backfired. What was worse was that the car sold for way under its value. Lesson learnt.

trader_84, Aug 3, 1:13am
Sneaky dude!

firecentaurr, Aug 3, 1:47am
Heh! Well that's food for thoughts lol.Almost like poetic justice isn't it! Except there's minor little things such as engine numbers that wont match current record or they traced numbers as to belonging to a wreck of the same make and model.Then they're find you, for being the purchaser of a wreck.