HiAce Traction

Page 1 / 4
moby, Aug 9, 6:03am
I have a 2008 Hiace van, and while its fine on the tarmac, even hinting at a bit of grass and it bets stuck. I even had the embarrasment of having to be pulled out of the bottom of a steep Titirangi driveway (paved) by a tiny Suzuki jeep the size of a Mini!. What vans are there that don't have these problems (LSD perhaps, dont want 4WD). Doors on both sides at the back essential.

taipan4, Aug 9, 6:04am
yup, any of those vans get stuck on a wet bus ticket

stevo2, Aug 9, 6:13am
I was getting stuck in my 05 Hiace so I put a pair of All Terain tyres on the back. It made a huge difference but were slightly noisier. They lasted 60,000km and cost about 2 hundy each.
http://www.firestone.co.nz/tyres/product/id/Firestone_Destination_A/T_205_75_15_103S

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 6:36am
Hiace Van's are horrible over priced dangerous things anyway. Take a VW Transporter for a test drive and see how it goes on some slippery stuff. Not only is it a MUCH nicer van I think you will find it much better for traction.

Any good European van should be similar, they are designed to be used on snowy roads etc. Mercedes and Fiat are also good vans. Fiat is probably the best value. Parts for VW and Fiat are particularly reasonable and service intervals long. You will enjoy better economy and more power too.

If you really need super traction don't be scared of a 4WD VW. Their 4WD technology is supurb and the vans are still super economical.

sunwest, Aug 9, 8:08am
Yep i have a 05 hiace it gets stuck just thinking about dirt, steep drives etc. But still the best van i have owned and i have had a few.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 8:14am
How many were late model European vans!
(Not being nasty, genuine question)

40wav, Aug 9, 8:20am
You MUST be some sort of VW salesman, surely.

johnf_456, Aug 9, 8:21am
I see the fiat salesman was quick on the opportunity tonight.

40wav, Aug 9, 8:24am
It gets to a point where you dont even bother reading it.

40wav, Aug 9, 8:29am
Almost definately none, because a Hiace van can be purchased for a few grand and will carry you and others around the country and provide accomodation on the way. Then, when you're done, you flick it off for exactly what you paid for it to the next person who does the same thing. A late model VW van will set you back a small fortune and will lose value much quicker than a dirty old Hiace as you stack the Ks onto it. I dont think there a fair comparison really. If you needed a newish, reliable van for empoyment you might consider the VW, but I would also be considering most other brands as well.

40wav, Aug 9, 8:29am
Almost definately none, because a Hiace van can be purchased for a few grand and will carry you and others around the country and provide accomodation on the way. Then, when you're done, you flick it off for exactly what you paid for it to the next person who does the same thing. A late model VW van will set you back a small fortune and will lose value much quicker than a dirty old Hiace as you stack the Ks onto it. I dont think they're a fair comparison really. If you needed a newish, reliable van for empoyment you might consider the VW, but I would also be considering most other brands as well.

Edited for the spelling nazis

johnf_456, Aug 9, 8:31am
That it does

flashgordon_nz, Aug 9, 8:32am
put a LSD in the back of the hi-ace. it works a treat!

NZTools, Aug 9, 8:33am
Having owned a Fiat Ducato, i can vouch for their ability to keep traction where hiaces etc sit spinning on the wet bust ticket.
The main problem is weight (or lack of) over the driving wheels. Front wheel drive is a definate winner in a van.

evotime, Aug 9, 8:52am
Early hilux LSD diff heads fit don't they!

flashgordon_nz, Aug 9, 9:06am
yep.
Part numbers listed are different, but. they do fit. work out your ratio, look for a good s/h LSD on here, put it in and see if it makes a difference. the 2 i have seen go in were on a van used for farm servicing, and another was a courier van (went from a 4.1 to a 4.3 ratio too)

vpholdie, Aug 9, 9:11am
I agree with stevo2 I have put all terrain tyres of a few of my customers Hiaces for traction on building sites steep terrain works just fine

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 9:16am
You do live in NZ don't you!
Hiace's are the worst value van on the market!

You can pick up a much later Ducato for $4000 than you can a Hiace and no problem to sell again for that. Less prone to major engine failures too. Plus you get more room to sleep in and a more comfortable and safer ride.

Only downside is there are less cheap Ducato's around.

stevo2, Aug 9, 9:17am
The problem is not a lack of weight in the back. I normally have >700kg sitting over the back wheels. Like I said A/T tyres are a big help.

stevo2, Aug 9, 9:20am
Thats great if you only want to spend $4k on a van Jazz. I want to pay $30k and the price on Ducatos in that range is dropping faster than a Hookers pants.

r15, Aug 9, 11:06am
i put 18" road tyres on my 06, was miles better off road than the orignal commercial tyres

scoobeey, Aug 9, 11:20am
put some saks of sand in bak prob solved "______

scoobeey, Aug 9, 11:50am
here you are sprouting absolute shite once again . look at what hundreds of couriers trdies etc use . your still full of it lol

gooddealz2, Aug 9, 11:55am
I hate to say it but I think NZ's van culture is changing much faster than you think. Where I work the last three couriers to replace their vans have all gone Hyundai and our long haul work is Fiat and Mercedes.This would have been unheard of five years ago and i think will become more pronounced over the next souple of years.

fordkiwi27, Aug 9, 1:34pm
my 96 hiace isawesome! i dislike japanese cars as a rule. my van.frekkin premium as