HiAce Traction

Page 2 / 4
kazbanz, Aug 9, 8:17pm
stevo-thats contrary to my experience. race van to a meeting loaded down with bikes n gear -no worries getting into the paddock/parc ferme.
On the lunch run spinning and basicy no go. Loaded back up at end of day again no issues. I traditinally use a hi roof long wheel base Just lo

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 8:32pm
Yes, just don't whatever you do buy a Hyundai. No cheaper than a VW, yet they cost significantly more to run, are expensive to repair and just don't last the distance.

Unfortunately though those people who buy on peer pressure/fashion rather than common sense (and doing their own math) seem ripe to fall into that trap.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 8:39pm
Sweet!
You should be able to find a real bargain then. Remember depreciation is rarely linear, you just have to find the sweet spot where they hold their value for a while.
Just like MK5 Golf's have held their value for several years now. Ducato's will have similar sweet spots. You may find Mercedes or VW hold their value in a price point more suited to your needs too. Both of those are great vans too.
Also. what you save on fuel and servicing will help offset depreciation anyway and still leave you with a nicer, safer and more comfortable van.

splinter67, Aug 9, 8:44pm
Where is a vw van cheaper than a Hyundai as for not going the distance I know a few have gone bad but no worse than toyota or vw there are quite a few rural posties and couriers in Hawkes Bay very happy with there Hyundai's however saying that they have the same problem that Toyota have with traction

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 8:47pm
1. New Zealand.
2. That's because they havn't done the math and they havn't had a major breakdown where Hyundai wants $20'000 to fix it yet.

Oh and no worse than Toyota or VW! Toyota maybe but VW's Diesel is one of the finest on the market. Where are all the stories on here and Fair Go about VW vans! You know all the mathematically illiterate trolls would be all over them like fly's on poo if any at all turned up here, just like they did when one Golf looked like it might have had a transmission problem.

splinter67, Aug 9, 9:03pm
Jazz how much for a new one not some thing usedvws are no where near Toyota or Hyundai A courier in Havelock north got a brand new Vw van somehow hit a rock with the front pulley which somehow took out the timingbelt in turn bending valves cost horrendous amounts to fix was also off the road for 2 months waiting for parts He has since got a plate that covers the area but it is a nice van to drive way better than the toyota

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 9:11pm
No offense but I thought you would have looked up the new price of both on here by now! (Just click the new car button on the vehicle search)

Smacking a front pulley with a mighty great rock would likely have the same effect on any van, I don't see in any way how that is a design flaw in the VW. Goodness knows how they managed to achieve that!

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 9:16pm
O.K I will give in and spoon feed you.

Hyundai Iload Diesel Manual $46'990 (Cheapest Diesel Iload)
VW T5 SWD Diesel $46'950 (Cheapest Diesel T5)

In fairness your assumption is exactly what the Hyundai owners seem to do, so many times they have harped on at me about "Paying extra for a brand name" yet clearly they have never even bothered to compare the price. Let alone compare the running costs which can be thousands of dollars more per year for the Hyundai.

I just don't understand why people don't take a few minutes with a calculator before spending 50K

Perhaps that's why they are couriers.

splinter67, Aug 9, 9:19pm
With company discount last time I looked I can get a hyundai for 39 toyota just a little more

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 9:20pm
Actually. if you read a few books on how marketing and psychology you will be amazed. I have seen people buying for the same completely illogical reasons on here for years now.

It still amazes me though how fashion, habit, illogicalbelief's and emotion still grossly outweigh logic in decision making though.

But that's the world we live in.

Ponder that next time you brush your teeth and feel the minty tingle (which does nothing for dental hygiene but toothpaste dosn't sell without it).

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 9:23pm
You could likely negotiate a deal with VW too you know! (or buy a demonstrater)

Plus those savings are often quickly used up in extra service costs and fuel which as I mentioned can run to thousands a year depending on use.

A Fiat Scudo is only $39K retail anyway, you could buy one of those which is also much better than the Toyota and Hyundai.

splinter67, Aug 9, 9:26pm
Never hit a rock like that in a toyota or a hyundai and I have taken both vans to the same place and driven the exact same route and it wasnt a huge rock

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 9:27pm
LMAO. you really are clutching at straws with that one. So, somehow the VW is a rock magnet. are you sure a Taniwha didn't put it there!

splinter67, Aug 9, 9:32pm
In the real world his vw van is not much cheaper to run than his old 2.4 toyota it is however a lot more plesant to drive but we will see if his vw will do 600+ ks

splinter67, Aug 9, 9:34pm
No its just too low to be a effective courier van without the aftermarket plate in it we dont all just drive around in town

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 9:35pm
Anyhow. I don't know why I am bothering really. The short wheelbase Hiace has already gone out of production. They can't compete with VW and are now going to re-badge Citroen/Peugeot vans as Hiace's instead to try and survive in that market.

Its really only places like NZ that still accept the dangerous third world edition Hiace's which will still have any new Hiace Van's that are actually Toyota's available still.

No doubt that will continue until people finally wake up and bother to actually drive some Euro vans and do some basic math.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 9:40pm
LMAO. what real world is this!

Does this planet of yours have some sort of gravitational effect that enables the service intervals on the Hiace to be 3 times longer and it to use less fuel!

Do the math, oh and don't assume parts are cheaper for the Toyota or that the engines last longer. That's just more assumed nonsense. Its actually the new Toyota Diesel that isn't lasting the distance, its well known for major and expensive failures at low km's.

VW dwarf Toyota's production of Diesels and they are far better proven for high millage. There is no need to wait and see at all, its Toyota who is the minor player in Diesels that has something to prove.

splinter67, Aug 9, 9:48pm
A fiat scudo ewww no wonder there arnt any being used by couriers they are ugly

splinter67, Aug 9, 9:53pm
Where are these vw vans that have done 600+ ks not trying to get up you just want to see them because that would be a great selling point that vw salesmen dont seem to be using when I went to look at 1 I knew more than the sales staff at the local euro dealer

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 9:54pm
LMAO!
Oh have I got some news for you. guess what the New Hiace SWB is expected to be.
This is the best laugh I have had in ages.

bellky, Aug 9, 9:57pm
Another thread turned into a VW spam fest.

Farout, read the heading 'HiAce Traction'.

splinter67, Aug 9, 9:57pm
And you wonder why people buy Hyundai's

splinter67, Aug 9, 9:57pm
go away dude

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 9:58pm
VW marketing like Fiats is a real let down. The Fiat importers are basically moron's who don't advertise and VW despite having massive advantages over the competitors go with feel good nonsense instead of pointing that out.

You are quite correct in what you say there.

Plenty of high milage Euro vans around though, I have seen sprinters on here with 1.5 Million km's on the clock. Not so many high milage VW vans in NZ as they are only just starting to take off properly but you do see them pop up occasionally. Also, the VW is more popular as a smaller van so not so many long haul couriers using them and getting the milage up.

That said, same motors in other VW product and you see them with big milage, likewise some campervans. Just have to have a poke around.

Internationally (Which is what matters) VW's reputation for Diesels is one of the very best.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 9, 10:00pm
Oh go on. that was pretty funny.
Here is a link you might enjoy. but perhaps not for the pictures!
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/07/psa-peugeot-citroen-to-supply-toyota.html

I actually like the styling, I think its a case of what you are used to looking at. The European's havn't seen a Hiace van like we see here for many years, so their taste has moved on.

PSA are ending their sharing agreement with Fiat soon so possibly the new Hiace will look different again fairly quickly. However I wouldn't hold my breath for conservative styling, Citroen are not known for that with their vans at all.