What would be a good tow vehicle

Page 2 / 2
monaro17, Oct 8, 9:44am
They stated "twenty five thousand" not "two thousand five hundred";)

scoobeey, Oct 8, 9:52am
AND i towed a bid food caravan all over nz with hiace ! goit too neally a mill kms unreliable pffffft

sw20, Oct 8, 10:09am
Why so angry!

scoobeey, Oct 8, 10:18am
Not Angry:) jusy hear the same ole dribble all the time lol

sr2, Oct 8, 11:06am
From someone who has owned both Japanese and Euro diesels for many years I??

thejazzpianoma, Oct 8, 7:40pm
Regarding the price first,

Goodness no, the Prado especially is about the worst value vehicle you can buy. $25'000 in a Diesel Prado is buying you an old1990's model with the 1KZ. The 1KZ of course hasits tendency to crack heads while towing (great for this purpose!) high fuel consumption, excessively regular maintenance requirement's (7500km at least if you want it to last 5000km probably better for this purpose).

Nothing subjective about it being outdated at all, its an old fashioned, high maintenance, very inefficient diesel.

Now, for 25K the astute buyer with a little patience can actually get the current model Ducato, around 10 years (10 YEARS!)newer than the Prado. 40'000km service intervals, common rail, exceptional reputation for reliability even when loaded. Loads of grunt, comfort, handling and space.

Why would you buy the Prado over that!

As for not calling the Prado unreliable, the tendency to crack heads alone spoiled their reliability, especially for this sort of use. They may well have been the best of a bad bunch 15 years ago but times have changed, we can expect a LOT more from diesels nowadays.

The best thing is to go and try one for yourself. After all, that's what we are seeing here in this very thread. Those that have experienced the Euro Diesel alternatives first hand and those that have not.

My wife's daily driver is a Fiat Diesel and we have a new Ducato in the family as well.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 8, 7:45pm
BTW, nicely put Sr2.
My enthusiasm clearly rubs some the wrong way. Your first hand experience with both, and tactful pointing out of how times have changed, likely does a better job than my gleeful excitement for these vehicles and their many advantages.

splinter67, Oct 8, 11:51pm
T950 kenworth

chebry, Oct 9, 7:55am
That would do it in style but he only wants to tow a piddling 1700kg so really any decent diesel pickup could do it.

3tomany, Oct 9, 8:12am
crickey not often you give good advice but +1 from me a falcondore would tow it alright but you need to take so much more maybe even some camping gear sometimes so a van or suv is the answer