What would be a good tow vehicle

Page 1 / 2
4shamrock, Oct 7, 10:54pm
For towing a Stockcar Aprox 1700kg on a semi enclosed braked tandem trailer. Thanks

gmphil, Oct 7, 10:57pm
Holden commy do ya

mugenb20b, Oct 7, 11:02pm
Mazda BT50 / Ford Ranger.

monaro17, Oct 7, 11:26pm
How often do you tow and through what road conditions! (hilly or flat!)

franc123, Oct 7, 11:43pm
Start again. Whats the budget and where and how often are you going to be towing. Pretty hard to make recommendations without that.

flybye_in_a_rx7, Oct 7, 11:52pm
dodge ram

splinter67, Oct 7, 11:58pm
2500hd silverado

msigg, Oct 8, 12:08am
Either the bigger cars on the road, but the best will be the heavier 4x4 out there. The big toyota/nissan or the american machines.

4shamrock, Oct 8, 12:28am
Towing from Patea to Stratford so a few hills along the way,
nearly every weekend between now and Mid April, with a few trips to Wanganui as well.
Budget would be $25000 max

edangus, Oct 8, 1:26am
Diesel Nitro (petrol ones pretty good too)

gsimpson, Oct 8, 5:16am
Check towbar rating of any vehicle you look at.

monaro17, Oct 8, 5:19am
Good point.

Terrano= 2300kg
Prado= 2500kg
Falcon= 2300kg
Commodore= 2100kg
Jeep= 2800kg+

matarautrader, Oct 8, 5:20am
Looks like you will be towing about 2200kg by the time you put spares, tyres, fuel, tools etc on the trailer. This site will give you manufacturers towing weights
http://www.aa.co.nz/motoring/owning-a-car/towing/towing-weights/

edangus, Oct 8, 5:43am
America Wins!

chebry, Oct 8, 6:18am
Fiatsler Italian company try to keep up,

splinter67, Oct 8, 6:23am
Toyota van plenty of room for spares and crew

thejazzpianoma, Oct 8, 7:14am
Why people keep going back to out dated and unreliable diesels I do not understand.

Euro Diesel is where its at for that sort of thing. There is a poster on here who tow's their race car with a Fiat Ducato which is probably what I would choose too. They are designed and rated to tow 2500KG AND carry a 1500KG payload at the same time.

Plus you have loads of lockable room for tools and even cooking and sleeping facilities if you want.

You then have the reliability, comfort, power, economy and super low maintenance aspect as well. 40'000km service interval sound good to you!

Running costs will be a tiny fraction of the petrol options and be cheaper than the Japanese Diesels when loaded too.

Loads of performance, the 2.3 will happily do the job and the 3.0 will really haul rear end.

If you really don't want a van there are other good Euro diesel vehicles as well. The Toyota's are just grossly over priced out dated and comparativly unreliable rubbish. That's why Toyota are discontinuing the Hiace (It will now be a re-badged Fiat), they just can't compete in the commercial diesel market and they now admit it.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 8, 7:22am
With a tow rating of 1400KG!
I don't think so.
Horrendously dangerous in a crash, grossly over priced and not the best for reliability either.

edangus, Oct 8, 7:32am
Spiacente amico

Viva Italia!

msigg, Oct 8, 7:34am
prado or land cruizer,patrol/safari would be the pick/most reliable, as jazz said a large van would be good too, just depends what sort of vehicle you want, van you could sleep in as well, 4x4 good for pulling mud,grass, and have low range for tricky spots. what everyone else using/what have you seen on your travels, each to their own really. Good luck.

emz-mo123, Oct 8, 7:43am
ford f 350

monaro17, Oct 8, 9:08am
Out dated perhaps (subjective) - but one can hardly call either a 3.0L Prado nor a 3.2L Terrano 'unreliable' as these are some of the MOST reliable diesel engines manufactured. As the criteria was for an under 25K vehicle I thought these were about as good as you could get.

shorebee, Oct 8, 9:13am
sonata or magentis diesel, 10kgetyou anything

kdcentralni, Oct 8, 9:18am
$2500k Can't stretch it! I'd get an EF/L or AU wagon for that job.

scoobeey, Oct 8, 9:44am
Unreliable rubbish . Total RETARD comment from a one eyed biggot:(((Mates hiace 920k NO Major work and i had one neally the same . so idiotic statement . soo reliable i bought another :)