Whats your haggling tips when buying from a dealer

Page 1 / 2
mss2006, Nov 1, 8:42am
(car dealer I meant!)

Any success stories :)

Need some insider info.

Thanks!

mss2006, Nov 1, 8:42am
(car dealer I meant, not the other kind of dealer if you were woundering!)

Any success stories :)

Need some insider info.

Thanks!

a.woodrow, Nov 1, 8:45am
Tip - don't haggle if the asking price is fair. Dealers need to feed their families too

mss2006, Nov 1, 8:45am
Good point!

newtec1, Nov 1, 9:02am
You need to know exactly what the car is worth before you start anything.Then you need to know what your limit is and find their bottom line and go from there.Don't stuff around for too long,you either know what it's worth or you don't.

trdbzr, Nov 1, 9:06am
Do your research, look at other examples for sale at the moment, look at expired auctions, turners price check etc. Some dealers are realistic and give good deals, but some just have their heads in the clouds (like some private sellers).

edangus, Nov 1, 9:17am
Absolutely

whqqsh, Nov 1, 4:38pm
best one Ive found is have a look first then take the wife for round 2. Told mine if she doesnt like it just say 'no thanks' & head back to the car. If she does like lt she starts picking holes in it on every little detail. then start haggling using the phrase 'my wifes not keen, what can we do to keep her on-side'

shakespeare6, Nov 1, 5:35pm
Got to hand it to car dealers,I couldn't do itmy bedside manner is not up to scratch. When ive sold cars privately people just do my head in
If you've got the money and want to pay what they are asking ,then buy it otherwise move on

franc123, Nov 1, 6:14pm
Yes, if you do enough research you will know if something is a good buy or not, if there is a big gulf between the asking price and what recent actual selling prices have been then move on. But these days there seems to be far more private sellers that are trying to sell rubbish for high prices, dealers are often quite competitive.

next-to-normal, Nov 1, 6:27pm
two words that retailers hate.trademe

carstauranga001, Nov 1, 6:38pm
Yes and no. Although Tauranga is where my core business comes from, in recent times I have sold cars to people from Whangarei, Auckland, various Waikato towns, Hamilton, Whakatane, Rotorua, Taupo, Wanganui and New Plymouth. Thanks to Trade Me these people found me and the car they wanted.

countrypete, Nov 1, 7:04pm
Note how long the car has been on the lot.Look at the reg expiry date, the wof expiry date (It will be renewed on sale) but often if it is on the lot and long expired it's an indication that the car has been for sale for some time.Dealer's don't like old stock, it ties up capital, so you can often get a better price if the dealer has had the car for a while.That said, if it's a fair price, and you want the car, then just do it!

kazbanz, Nov 1, 7:15pm
MSS2006-some good advice above but I still feel you need to do other stuff FIRST
-for the moment forget haggling. -Im NOT saying its a thing of the past for a second just that its the LAST on your list of things to do.
First research the actual car. for example the budget 1000cc version of a year 2000 vitz is going to be in a totally different price range than a 2004 Manual 1500cc RS version but they are both called Vitz.Basicly compare apples with apples.
Within the exact model you want take into account year,milageand if its important to you color. As a rule of thumb lower miles,later year adds to the price and nice colors usually do too.
Second look at the price range they are advertised for.
This gives you the information you need to head out to a dealer or two.
Please don't trust pics on the internet-yes a pic is worth 1000 words but pics also lie-you cant see worn carpets,minor dings/scratches.smell the cigarettes etc. I tfind scratches etc are easilly fixed but worn out interiors are a lot harder.
NEXT-ask this simple question."is it alright to get an AA pre purchase inspection if Im interested!"watch and listen to the response.
A good dealer will respond with. a variation on " apsolutely no problem at all"
a dodgy dealer wont want the AA looking over his car.
-Incidently I DON'T recommend the AA be the first choiceI personally feel you should get YOUR own mechanic to do mechanical inspections for you but any mechanical inspection is better than none.
Make any agreement 100% dependant on all or any mechanical inspection you need.
Id also be asking to see the auction sheet from when the car was purchased.
Cars when dealers buy them are graded. You want a grade 4 or4.5. BUT the auction sheet will tell you what damage was on a car when purchased.
AVOID grade 0 vehicles--these are vehicles with structural damage.
Nowthe haggling bit is a bit difficult. If the car is already the cheapest available and turns out to be in good condition then you are unlikely to get much movement. If its a few thousand dearer then why not offer the price of the cheapest example.

supernova2, Nov 1, 7:28pm
A car is only worth what you are prepared to pay for it.So simply offer what you are prepared to pay.The dealer will either say yes or no or counter offer.How hard is that!If you can't get agreement on what you are prepared to pay simply walk away and find another one elsewhere.

mss2006, Nov 1, 7:59pm
Thank you everyone for your valuable input especially kazbanz, thanks for taking the time for such a detailed reply ;)

salbern, Nov 2, 6:57pm
Yeah and Kazbanz had some really good points

2sheddies, Nov 2, 10:18pm
I've yet to see a thieving car dealer with a hungry family.

andrea_w, Nov 2, 10:27pm
Nice post Kaz, good advice as always!

Why do people always have a go at car dealers. if you get ripped off, it's your own fault for not doing any homework first.
Never see people moan at dentist or doctor prices nearly as much as they do about car dealers but I guarantee you visit them more often.
Anyone who shops at the Warehouse gets ripped off based on some of their profit margins - my boss just bought a $1000 bbq from them but it was on sale for $600. 40% discount and they're STILL making money on it.

gammelvind, Nov 2, 10:31pm
You really are a sad puppy. Judging by the number of yards that have closed lately, I am sure in some of them you will find many having lost everything in trying to set up a successful business.
I am guessing that you work for some thieving employer and have never risked your money on building your own business.

2sheddies, Nov 2, 10:48pm
I take your point, and you are quite right. It is very difficult out there for everyone at the moment, car dealers included. I suppose it is wrong of me to tar all dealers with the same brush, because there must certainly be some good,genuine ones out there.

carstauranga001, Nov 2, 11:06pm
That's better.

Very nice profile pic BTW.

thejewellerybox, Nov 2, 11:29pm
My husband and I inadvertentlydiscovered this technique.I liked one car, one dealer, he liked another car, different dealer.As we went between them, it was really useful to say "my husband really wants this other car, is there anything else you can offer to entice him.
We ended up with a really good deal.

2sheddies, Nov 2, 11:30pm
Thank you. I'm not a nasty person, and I'm always happy to admit when I'm out of line. :) Apologies to all the friendly car dealers out there :)

jmma, Nov 2, 11:35pm
That man deserves a DB, good on you (o: