Police WOF records out of date

Page 2 / 2
johnf_456, Nov 17, 10:10pm
Ever heard of the blackberry tax!

johnf_456, Nov 17, 10:13pm
Funny you say that because where I am currently the signal is only 1 to 2 bars and its fine. Sure its slow but it does go lol. Same signal on data stick and smart phone tethered via wifi.

But everyone has different experiences

ralphdog1, Nov 17, 10:14pm
OK, I'll be specific.
Explain how Blackberry's use a network that is a "different network to your standard gsm" (bearing in mind that the thrust of this discussion had become about networks and reception)

johnf_456, Nov 17, 10:19pm
Blackberrys work on different protocols to what a standard phone uses hence the term different network. To dumb it down for less technology inclined people.

Do some research and see what you can find it, because blackberrys use a totally different mechanism for transfering data from your standard gsm, 2g,3g the protocols are very different hence dumping it down to different network. Which they do as non blackberry phones do not use the same protocols as a blackberry phone does.

ralphdog1, Nov 17, 10:32pm
You are getting on-board message encryption protocols that Blackberry's use to communicate with the local Blackberry service confused with the broader network.
Blackberry's use exactly the same network (transport mechanism) as everything else does, to suggest otherwise displays a "less technology inclined" understanding.
As NZTools points out above they generally are well engineered from a radio sensitivity perspective.

Carry on.

johnf_456, Nov 17, 10:38pm
To make full use of the blackberry services they do use a different protocol to transfer data. But since you think they are no different to a a standard phone and use all the same protocols please CARRY on.

ralphdog1, Nov 17, 10:40pm
Can you not read and comprehend when you get angry Johnny!

johnf_456, Nov 17, 10:43pm
Without giving the full low down of 50 paragraphs, it appears you don't understand what I am getting it from a technology cell point of view. I.e what goes on with blackberry devices from cell towers to the outer network. That the user has no idea about, can you not understand that!

Or do you know how something works by what is in front of you only!
Part of the better performance with blackberry is to how they use different protocols which generally no one knows about, I use to work in telecommunications at one point in time.

Blackberry only plans say no more: http://www.vodafone.co.nz/business/blackberry/internet-service.jsp

elect70, Nov 17, 11:03pm
InShannon Manawatucant even getBB &DU is as slow as25 Kbs & often drops outthe garage there often has trouble sending his WOF scell phcover is marginal& vodaphone wont work at allthere .He says buggered if hes going topaysat coverjust to pleaseLTA.

smac, Nov 18, 2:14am
Well it's not to please NZTA, I doubt they care if he wants to be in business or not.

emnalana, Nov 18, 8:55am
i got new plates for my car one morning, signed all forms, paid the money, and AA guy updated the computer system, went home, thort better put the new plates on the car since the old ones be dead now, went out later afternoon that day, got rolled by cops, their reason for stopping me was they ran the new plates and they not on their system as being attached to vehicle, (luckily i had the old plates in the boot)
point is, i would have thort the nzta and police system when it comes to motor vehicles etc, would be/should be "one in the same"

purple666, Nov 18, 9:16am
A couple of years back I got a wof from my usual place, nipped off to my usual reg/license place only to get told it wasn't on the system. This was about 30mins after the wof was issued, explained so the girl rings the garage and it turns out he is having real trouble with connection/interweb/website so she writes me a very cool explanation letter for just in case I got pulled up. As if the coppers would take that as an excuse anyway. Next day it was in the system.

smac, Nov 18, 7:11pm
As above, it's overnight.

berg, Nov 19, 1:45am
Something we see often (even one today where truck had COF issued Saturday but police system shows expired).
As to why the police and NZTA systems are not the same, the police system has far too much private information to allow into their business partners systems.
Most police when faced with this take the WOF label into account and unless there is an obvious issue will not issue a ticket. If there is any question of underhandness (yea, like kiwis have never been known to do the odd dodgy WOF) a ticket may be issued and then its up to you to provide proof to the infringement bureau.

stickman100, Nov 19, 6:40am