Led driving lights. I39ve thinking of buying a set of the newish led driving lights can someone please tell me the legal why of

Page 1 / 2
ianalice1, Nov 25, 4:44am
I've thinking of buying a set of the newish LED driving lights.
Can someone please tell me the, legal, why of wiring them up!
Thank you,
Ian.

daryl14, Nov 25, 4:48am
Oh man, You're gonna get flamed.

ianalice1, Nov 25, 4:49am
Uh oh, what I do!
Only asked a couple of question, in here, in my time a Trade Me.

flashgordon_nz, Nov 25, 4:49am
some are daytime running lights, some are led spot lights. what brand are you looking at! most come with nz wiring instructions. Daytime runners go off, when your headlamps are on.

splinter67, Nov 25, 4:51am
Dont worry about the haters in here nothing wrong with led driving lights better to be seen than not and sorry not sure of the law

ianalice1, Nov 25, 4:56am
Was thinking of running lights.
Got a Honda Odyssey and people pull out in front, of me, as if they don't see me.
Thought might help.

thewomble1, Nov 25, 6:30am
Just make sure they go off when headlights are turned on. I wired mine so they go off when park lights are turned on (my park stay on even if headlights are turned on). I can park the car and leave park lights on without blinding people.

gunhand, Nov 25, 6:32am
How does this work for motorcycles!Seen a few with them over this weekend.

zak1998, Nov 25, 8:14am

ianalice1, Nov 25, 8:17am
Sounds good.

zak1998, Nov 25, 8:21am
Law is they must go off when your headlight come on this kit does all that 3 wires to fit so easy

clark20, Nov 25, 8:32am

thewomble1, Nov 25, 3:19pm
Get ya mate go halves with you .
I thought the rule was bikes must have headlights on so not sure if in daytime a strip of LED's could be used instead. Would be less drain on the battery and there are some very bright daytime lights out there.

pollymay, Nov 25, 5:13pm
My bike battery goes flat with the headlight on, the stator can't keep up. I have to ride with it off or else I can't start it after about an hours worth of riding. I've had the red n blues hit on me for it before but there is sweet FA I can do about it especially when the battery is well dead, the headlight takes all the draw and my spark gets weak/erratic from low voltage to the electronics running the motor

inkapuka, Nov 25, 6:14pm
My drl dim when lights turn on. no relay needed they have passed wof

smac, Nov 25, 6:59pm
Well there is FA you can do, you can fix the alternator!

splinter67, Nov 25, 7:01pm
I knew that the above answer would turn up what sort of bike!

pollymay, Nov 26, 8:10am
Just an old honda VT250, I have a charger I put it on at home. Have a few spares, tried a different stator and same story. I dunno what wattage bulb is in it though however I don't really want to step it down anymore because it's already piss poor. I'll just move to an LED setup when I find one I like.

meathead_timaru, Nov 26, 10:36pm
Any VT250 with a working charging system will keep the battery fully charged indefinitely, at idle, with the headlight on. You have a charging fault. You just haven't found it yet.

pollymay, Nov 27, 2:22am
I suspect the bulb more than the charge but I'm not really up for stepping it down, unless the runs are longer than going to the shop the starter also compounds things. I'd rather have a lower draw running light. During the day the headlight is also not putting out enough at a wide enough viewing angle to be of much use except to oncoming traffic and those I follow. In town you're not overtaking so much as using roundabouts, there is a better solution than using the headlight. I'm more preoccupied with a shock leaking onto my stupid inboard brakes right now with the whole frontend off it to be worried.

meathead_timaru, Nov 27, 2:44am
The bulb gets its power from the battery, which is in turn recharged by the alternator. If the bulb is bright and the battery is going flat, you may have a short in the lighting circuit putting extra load on the battery. Check insulation.

pollymay, Nov 27, 3:17am
It is possible but like I said there are better solutions. Especially at anything other than straight on. I'm waiting for my local jaycar to have a sale of their lighting or clear out old stock white LEDs. I'll exchange the tail light and number plate light while I'm at it.

trademerob, Nov 27, 3:58am
Unless you have an R8 you are a tosser.

smac, Nov 27, 7:14am
OK, stator, generator, alternator, whatever. The point is still that the charging system is shagged.

smac, Nov 27, 7:14am
OK, stator, generator, alternator, magneto, whatever, you didn't say what bike. The point is still that the charging system is shagged.