Power restriction for Learner driver.

Page 2 / 2
splinter67, Dec 30, 12:38am
They pick up your bad habits from sitting in their carseats thats how far back it goes my 5 yo loves to tell other drivers off usually with colorful language too many hours with dad in a courier van
And driver training should be done by professionals not parents or husbands

chebry, Dec 30, 2:58am
Not a reader are you in VIC P plate drivers are not permitted 4.1L Falcons of the XD.E.F series and they are slow gutless ill handlingcars any way P platers are Permitted Ford of those models if fitted with the 3.3 engine Holdens have had V8 engines since the HK, P platers are banned from driving them now. Its a power to weight restriction

donz01, Dec 31, 3:43am
Both my kids learnt to drive in 3.8 litre commodores. Once they had resricted they picked thier own cars with our approval. My daughter at 15 got a 1600cc Suzuki SF416 sedan and recently upgraded to a smaller 1400cc Barina. The son had slightly different taste and got an old 1276cc Chevette sedan(father and son restoration job) followed by a 2 litre VL Commodore. He still has both and happily drives whatever he chooses day by day. He reckons they both have about the same power because neither of them will spin the wheels.

gammelvind, Dec 31, 4:18am
Have to agree with Kaz, you as the parent are the controllerof the vehicle, I gave each of my three boys a car when they got their licence. It wasn't anything fancy, had wof and reg. The whole fwd versus rwd didn't come into it as I trully believe that avoiding an accident and observing the scene is far more important than what you drive. Take them out on a flat grassy paddock (friendly farmer friend helps here) that will teach them handling skills.
Three sons, two sensible, one really is a plonker lol, two cars were replaced when they wanted to do it, one promptly went out and wrecked his, he walked for a while until HE could earn the money to buy another.

bashfulbro, Dec 31, 4:50am
Why !, i had a Datsun 1200 that would do 140 KMs

chebry, Dec 31, 4:53am
Yeah but that aint fast and a 1200Datto took several days to reach that speed it was the gutless option designed to keep you alive

timbowe1, Dec 31, 5:38am
So I was lucky to have spent time on a farm where I drove anything where I could get my hands on the wheel and feet on the pedals at the same time. And although I've done some dumb crap I consider myself to be a good operator. I've give my 2 kids as many opertunities as I possible to experience different driving conditions as possible, off road of course and I'm sure that will benefit the new licencing porcedures greatly. As I did they have been driving cars, bikes and trucks since they were 5 or 6 years old. One thing I do think is that all drivers should be made to do 6 months or so many hours on a 50 cc scooter to sharpen reactions and bring the skill levels up. You learn alot about road conditions, weather, other drivers, the list goes on and on. When you get a car after that you do appreciate it.Also track time is a very valuable thing. I have ridden motorcycle on and off road since I was 13 and thought I was a gun. I was invited along to a track day and coached by a well known racer who has competed all over the world , Isle of Mann ect. , and found I knew nothing. 5 years of racing later, I do feel now I have learnt alot and I'm an average rider.

morrisman1, Dec 31, 5:43am
I got my morry to 123 km/h on the GPS once, never game to try it again as it felt like I was breaking the sound barrier. Doing 123 km/h in any of these 'rice rockets' that we drive now is a non-event.