Power restriction for Learner driver.

Page 1 / 2
timbowe1, Dec 29, 8:30pm
So are there any cars that are restricted for a learner/restricted driver ! Sure they wont be behind the wheel of aPorsche GT3 or anything in the next couple of years, but a quick online check does not reveal much at all. Got a 16 year old with a healthy bank balance looking to buy first wheels. Yay ! 120 hours of white knuckle terror. Nah. should be cool.

splinter67, Dec 29, 8:35pm
No there is no restriction but there should be

morrisman1, Dec 29, 8:35pm
Just remember they can hurt themselves in anything. Its more about the attitude of the driver and respect for their vehicle's ability to kill them.

timbowe1, Dec 29, 8:39pm
So maybe a quick insurance check would be a better place to start then !

chebry, Dec 29, 8:41pm
No restrictions yet but its high time some were introduced, Modern cars are fitted with far too many safety devices ABS Stability control etc that interfere with driving and prevent the learning of driving skills.

timbowe1, Dec 29, 8:48pm
Seems crazy there are no power to wieght restrictions here like there are in Australia. There are some crazy fast cars out there now compared to the old Austins and Wosleys we had to learn in.

sw20, Dec 29, 8:49pm
Sadly, some kids need to learn the hard way they aren't bulletproof. You can only guide them into something reasonably sensible. I had a wee incident involving landing in a paddock after leaving the road not long after getting my first car. Slowed me down from that moment on.

a.woodrow, Dec 29, 8:51pm
As morrisman said though, they can kill themselves in anything. Make them have comprehensive insurance, that will help you weed out the performance vehicles, as no insurance company will insure at a reasonable cost. My first full insurance vehicle was a lowly old corona but the insurance cost me $150 a month so I was very careful with it

kazbanz, Dec 29, 8:58pm
timbowe right now YOU are your sons power restriction.
I mean this in a positive way.
My lad is driving a mid 1990's nissan dulsar/sunny manual sedan.

cuda.340, Dec 29, 9:06pm
insurance companies are onto it, youngies can't insure Vtecs & other hipo cars.

chebry, Dec 29, 9:07pm
Teach the young one how to "drive" in a manual RWD car teach how to counter a slide, understeer, how to brake effectively and how to steer around sudden hazards rather than just jam on the brakes and crash. Keep inexperienced drivers out of unsafe Jappas that have no business being on our roads ie; those that are overpowered or missing all those safety features that kept them out of non JDM markets when new.

chebry, Dec 29, 9:11pm
Thats a recent thing in OZ. Used to see P plates on all sorts of V8 cars in Oz not long ago, Now you cant even have a 4.1 XE Falcon on a P licence as if those were ever fast.

00quattro00, Dec 29, 9:59pm
Yes rwd great idea, just what we need, another wannabe drifter

desmodave, Dec 29, 10:09pm
When i was 17 i bought a 4.1 XY utei had my previous car a Ford Anglia insured with State insurance . State told me they would not insure my ute because of the large engine. I pointed out that it was a ute and not a racing car but they were not interested. I got insurance elsewhere and State have never had a cent out of me since. I believein young 1slearning car control in river beds and paddocks where there is room to get a car out of shape and learn how to get it back in shape. Getkids to learn how to ride motorcycles 1st and it may make them a far better driver out on the road.

desmodave, Dec 29, 10:14pm
I think they are talking car control myself

sabbath-black, Dec 29, 10:21pm
.would imagine someone who had experience at car control would be better prepared in an accident situation

franc123, Dec 29, 10:25pm
WTF! They're more than powerful enough for a young driver to get into serious trouble. You must be referring to 6cyl pre VL Commodores, not Falcons.

kazbanz, Dec 29, 10:38pm
I get where your comeing from and 100% agree with the thought process behind it. I just don't agree with the way you are suggesting it be done.
What I would like to see is a place like drive town in the footrot flats theme park years ago.
Three or four "tracks"
The first one has a bunch of corners and simple go karts.
Get the kid behind the wheel and understanding about throttle control,steeering control braking etc.Get them underrstanding that crashing hurts. The second "track" would be similar and the cars similar. But it would be slippery and the kart wheels really narrow.
Again teach them as you said -counter steering. safe braking in a skid, feathering the throttle.
The third "track" would be petrol golf karts. fully road legal. Indicators horn etc.The track would be a series of suburban roads and intersections,Y intersections,X roads,Roundabouts etc.
There they could learn road rules. How to park propperly etc.
All that before they venture out onto the real roads

00quattro00, Dec 29, 10:40pm
Then they need to be put on a track with a professional driver. That is half the problem here, they are just taught by there parents, there should be a minimum amout of hours req with a pro driver

sr2, Dec 29, 10:43pm
+1; I've got a 16 year old son on his learners licence and as with many of the kids in our extended family he??

whqqsh, Dec 30, 12:16am
it used to be a natural thing of young guy+little money+state of the market = small beginners car
but now with open chequebook parenting, teens wants that have turned into expectations & a flooded car market of cheap yet still powerful Jappas it sure is long overdue for some form of legislation

kazbanz, Dec 30, 12:20am
What you just posted actually makes me want to cry in frustration.
If legislation is passed it just another choice removed from us.And why!
Because common sense parenting and community is being removed from us and society expects "them" to look out for us.
Im one of those old fashioned military type dads. You will do as you are told. My oldest son has a 1500cc manual sunny because thats what I would allow him to have as a first car.
Clearly I could give him a rocketship type car but don't feel that is the right thing to do.

whqqsh, Dec 30, 12:24am
I agree with you BUT when so many ppl DONT take the right actions what is left!

msigg, Dec 30, 12:25am
well driving instructors make better teachers than parents, when you teach them yourselves they pick up your bad habits. This is true.

vtecintegra, Dec 30, 12:33am
Bet you it'll still do well north of 160km/h.

The cars aren't the problem, its driver responsibility.