Are aftermarket oil pressure gauges legal in nz?

Page 1 / 2
zollernz, Jan 19, 7:44am
was told they aren't. can anyone confirm! cheers

wind.turbine, Jan 19, 7:53am
I cant see why not.
It is just a gauge.

zollernz, Jan 19, 8:03am
well how does it gauge the pressure of the oil! it doesn't require sending oil to the gauge!

pickles26, Jan 19, 8:05am
from a pressure sensor

mugenb20b, Jan 19, 8:18am
Umm.they don't make the vehicle unsafe, so why would they be illegal!

franc123, Jan 19, 8:25am
They're not illegal, you just have to comply with a couple of regs re how they are mounted which are common sense, ie you don't fit it on the a pillar in such a way that you could head butt it in a crash. This is the case with any gauge not just oil gauges.

mrfxit, Jan 19, 8:41am
LOLROF . Mmmm ;-)

Good comment frane123

a.woodrow, Jan 19, 9:06am
To be fair, in some countries the mechanical ones are illegal, due to the "risk" that the oil line could fail inside the vehicle spraying hot oil over the occupants. I could be wrong but I don't think mechanical is allowed in aussie even

flockton55, Jan 19, 9:18am
Many years ago I had a mechanical gauge, and the pipe from the oil fitting on the engine to the gauge had an inner diameter of less than a millimetre. I think that the oil just dribbled out when I ran the engine to bleed the air out of the tube.

nissan_fan, Jan 19, 9:44am
I have also heardyou arnt allowed mechanical ones that send the oil to the guage inside the cabin. Hot oil at 80+ psi at high revs could be harmful if the line burst. Electronic ones are fine.

clark20, Jan 19, 10:54am
My MG has one standard , but I changed the plastic tube to braided

cowlover, Jan 19, 11:09am
Nanny state what!Ever driven a turbo car with the boost guage missing off the end of the line!Thats truely dnagerous - believe me I know.

splinter67, Jan 19, 5:22pm
What engine runs 80+ psi oil pressure!

chebry, Jan 19, 7:18pm
Dont think dude you really arent good at it, and yep ur wrong oil gauges using capillary lines have been standard equipment on cars going back to the 20s, illegal and dangerous LMAO you drongo

chebry, Jan 19, 7:21pm
Clean your ears datsun boi ur a moron 80psi in ter dreams those type of gauges are factory fitted electronic ones are not accurate they are shit not fine.

NZTools, Jan 19, 7:25pm
Capillary oil lines have a brass restrictor inthem to prevent oil squirting everywhere. Even to say they dribble is anoverstatement. The occasional drip is closer to the truth.

bent_ate, Jan 19, 7:59pm
Yea I also heard that its illegal to put car stereos in any car now too,,, an also install aftermarket seat covers

chebry, Jan 19, 8:07pm
NZTools wrote:
Capillary oil lines have a brass restrictor inthem to prevent oil squirting everywhere. Even to say they dribble is anoverstatement. The occasional drip is closer to the truth.[/quote

yeah try finding out what capillary action is. The feed pipe to an oil gauge is called a Capillary tube for a reason. I look around this thread and see stupid people

elenor, Jan 19, 9:06pm
my rb30 drag engine runs well over 80 psi and always has 9.4 @142mph

unbeatabull, Jan 19, 9:28pm
Well it is if it's got side/seat airbags . unless you get an airbag approved seat cover.

nissan_fan, Jan 19, 10:22pm
Really! I watch oil guages go over 80psi daily. We fit a oil pressure guage along with other sensors to every car we run on our dyno and under full rpm engines produce over 80psi of oil. Big end bearings need high oil pressure under high load to prevent them wearing on the crank. A decent aftermarket electronic oil pressure guage is just as accurate as a mechanical guage.

I didnt say it was a fact i said that is what i have heard and i can understand why it could have been true. i have seen a loose loose guage hose pop out of its olive and the engine end. it sprayed oil everywhere through the engine bay and up the windscreen.

kokako14, Jan 19, 10:30pm
My son had his car failed for a warrant, as there were after market speakers fitted to the rear parcel tray and the hole had to be enlarged to fit the new speakers in. Apparently, making the hole about half an inch bigger affected the integrity of the panel across the back window.
Interestingly enough he had owned the car for 4 years before this was picked up and the speakers were there when he brought it, and before you ask, he got his warrant at the same garage every time, so they must have recieved a directive or something at some stage

splinter67, Jan 19, 10:51pm
What sort of gaskets are you running to keep that sort of oil pressure in !

austingtir, Jan 19, 10:58pm
More like the tester was a complete asshat.You get people like that from time to time.

austingtir, Jan 19, 11:00pm
My vz-r n1 that i used to own went over 120psi at 9500rpm.Its a nissan thing people with lesser cars wouldnt understand.