Removing vehicle signage

Page 1 / 2
hunnybunny1980, Mar 24, 3:55am
Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove an extremely baked on vinyl decal off a car bonnet! I have a plastic blade and have tried various products but its so baked on it hardly even feels raised anymore.

shall, Mar 24, 3:58am
hair drier !
heat gun !

brokebloke1, Mar 24, 3:58am
sure it hasnt been clearcoated after they applied the decal if so not sure how you will get it off
But try a hairdryer that sometimes works

woody1946, Mar 24, 4:07am
WD 40 !

hunnybunny1980, Mar 24, 4:21am
I could give the hair dryer a go! It's on the bonnet of my prized XR8 so I need to be really careful of the paint.

kazbanz, Mar 24, 4:22am
Hunnybunny--as brokebloke posted are you sure the decal hasn't been clearcoated.!

hunnybunny1980, Mar 24, 4:28am
I'm not sure, how can you tell!:)

edangus, Mar 24, 4:39am
Prepsol and then heat gun and gently lifting, then prepsol again, then a nice quick cut and buff

hunnybunny1980, Mar 24, 5:26am
Thanks, where would I buy prepsol from, and will a hair drier do ok instead of a heat gun!

hatchback, Mar 24, 5:31am
I wouldnt be using a heat gun on it, heatguns are for removing paint, hairdryer is all you need and then be VERY careful

edangus, Mar 24, 5:32am
Both of those "Outlet Stores" have it, or something similar "Wax and Grease Remover", You may not even need to heat it. But yeah a hairdryer will do the jobbie if need be. Have you checked to se if it has been "Cleared over"!

rob_man, Mar 24, 5:44am
A caramel wheel is also very effective, available from the likes of R A Johnstone and they will fit an electric drill.

shakespeare6, Mar 24, 7:23am
Every time changed company vehicle all I have used is a heat gun then clean with thinners.

trogedon, Mar 24, 7:28am
You'll probably find if you get it off ok the paint under it is a more original colour than the surrounding area and it has to be resprayed to look good again. Hopefully not.

shall, Mar 24, 7:36am
A heat gun won't damage the paint, well not if you're sensible about it, used them on cars lots, they melt paint in your house etc easier than they do car paintwork , if you are getting the paint hot enough to melt, then the sign would have melted way before that, as above, a heat gun and some solvent to clean the residue,

jason18, Mar 24, 7:57am
If its baked on its going to be extremely hard to move. Cheers to who ever deleted my comment about helping you

hunnybunny1980, Mar 24, 8:12am
Sounds like something I should be getting a professional to do.A local guys quoted somewhere between $100 - $150 to remove.I'm replacing the decal with a new one so it won't matter about the colour underneath being slightly different :)

woody1946, Mar 24, 8:22am
Only TradeMe could have deleted your comment, probably due to self promotion. I thought you were only being kind ,and trying to help

jmma, Mar 24, 8:38am
Someone, although banned, can still read the message board and still report.
Must admit, things have got a lot better in the last week or so. Just goes to show aye(o:

clark20, Mar 24, 10:48am
I was always too impatient with a heat gun and used hot water

pico42, Mar 24, 1:25pm
We recently stripped 4 work vehicles of vinyl ID stickers using 2 KMart hair dryers, lots of normal plastic rulers as scrapers and WD40 for clean up. Finished it all off with a cut and polish. And you could say they had been baked on - this is in northwest coastal WA.

lunar2, Mar 24, 4:30pm
Hot to close to boiling water softens the vinyl, peals off real easy

jason18, Mar 24, 6:51pm
Hahha Yeah was just thanking the banned guys! All good. I wasnt going to charge just help. If it is really baked on I would definately look at getting i0t professionally removed, The amount of paint damage I have seen from bad graphic removal. Usually with a scrapper blade!

jason18, Mar 24, 6:52pm
It depends what kind of vinyl they used. Some vinyls have a glue that is made to last 10 years. Get that on a vehicle with some sun and that aint coming off !

kween2, Mar 24, 7:45pm
I had to do this recently. Used a hairdryer and old credit card to scrape. Took ages, but came off in the end. Used nail polish remover to get the remnants off.