!Help with 91 Pulsar!

Page 1 / 2
_roxxra_, Mar 30, 12:26am
Hi all,

So a month ago I bought a 1991 Nissan Pulsar M1R 2 Door Hatchback (auto trans)

Recently a couple of troubles have come up

1. Exhaust has started leaking at the exhaust tip
2. Transmission wont hit second gear unless I use the '2' then put into second. I only have to do this the first time i drive it, every other time its been fine to just use 'D'.
3. The revs seem to drop then shake when i reach a red light. It doesn't cut out, just drops to around 400-600 revs then back up again to 800, then keeps doing this until the light turns green.

I only drive it to and from classes four days a week MAX, and Im definitely no boy racer or anything, so I really don't know what could cause this.

I am hoping to find out any possible reasons for these happening, and, fingers crossed, it's not anything major. So absolutely any help would be very greatly appreciated.

legacy1992, Mar 30, 12:30am
What do you mean by exhaust leaking! That could just be condensation coming out of the pipe. As for the rev thing, that could be anything maybe dirty spark plugs, clogged injectors, but it probably has carbies anyway.

_roxxra_, Mar 30, 12:36am
Thanks for the reply, Well it drips at the tip, the previous owner put an aftermarket exhaust tip on (for some reason) and it drips water.

inkapuka, Mar 30, 1:00am
Thats condensation most cars do that when cold

inkapuka, Mar 30, 1:02am
buy some new spark plugs and then let us know if its running any healthier

_roxxra_, Mar 30, 1:11am
Thanks for that, Ill go buy some today. What do you think about the transmission! Thats the thing that Im scared of the most.

mugenb20b, Mar 30, 1:14am
1. Don't worry about it.
2. Transmission service may help.
3. Is the engine carburetted or EFi!

inkapuka, Mar 30, 1:45am
Yep get the trans serviced

mcfc11, Mar 30, 2:54am
1991 = Scrap!

intrade, Mar 30, 3:38am
yup auto trans service with filter and sump gasket replacment is the first thing to spend the money on as when that is dead the car can go to the metalcrusher anyhow.

austingtir, Mar 30, 4:42am
mcfc11 = Idiot!

_roxxra_, Mar 30, 5:29am
How do I tell if it is an EFI or carburetted!

intrade, Mar 30, 5:41am
get the auto trans serviced at a automatic trans rebuild place with newfilter in sump gasket and fluid flush. who cares if its efi or carburettor you can tow it to the tip if the automatic transmission fails .

intrade, Mar 30, 5:43am
you better pull your auto trans dipstik while engine is running and check what the fluid level is and what the colour looks like and post that on here. there will be hot and cold mark. do that and report back.
here i googled a basic video on how and what to do
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=gm4j2BL7m0Y

210sback, Mar 30, 5:54am
Time to upgrade.

mugenb20b, Mar 30, 5:56am
It will be easier to give advice on how to fix problem number 3 if we knew what type of fuel delivery system the engine has.

mugenb20b, Mar 30, 5:57am
Can you post a pic of the engine bay!

_roxxra_, Mar 30, 6:14am
Umm Im not sure how to do that. but I can go out and tell you things if you can describe where and what I'm looking for.

_roxxra_, Mar 30, 6:15am
I've already done all that, the colour is not red, but its definitely not black either

intrade, Mar 30, 6:25am

mugenb20b, Mar 30, 6:50am
If it looks like the one in post #21, it will be carburetted.

_roxxra_, Mar 30, 6:55am
It does, but the parts around the engine are different. For one the black thing on top isn't black, its silver and has four pipes going towards the cabin. But the engine, and the manifold cover and the yellow dipstick are all in the same position. I hope that helps, and sorry if Im being confusing.

intrade, Mar 30, 7:02am

_roxxra_, Mar 30, 7:10am
Yes, thats the one, It looks exactly like the images in post #24 & post #25

intrade, Mar 30, 7:12am
yea well its fuel injected then lol