!Help with 91 Pulsar!

Page 2 / 2
mugenb20b, Mar 30, 7:15am
OK, so it's EFi. The first thing I'd do is clean out the throttle body and go from there. If you aren't sure on how to do this, you can have a look at some videos on you tube.

_roxxra_, Mar 30, 7:28am
Okay, I'll look it up and do it tomorrow. I'll clean the spark plugs tomorrow too. and hopefully get the transmission looked at soonish, I dont have much money at the moment, but I'll try, thanks very much everyone.

morrisman1, Mar 30, 7:33am
GA16DE uses IAC valve to control idle all the time, even if the throttle is a bit gummy it wouldn't affect idle. Id check fuel pressure for your low idle problem, and also the base idle speed.

To adjust base idle you warm it up, remove the throttle position sensor plug (on the throttle body which is where your throttle cable goes to) then rev the engine above 3000rpm three times. This puts it into adjustment mode. On the idle air control valve (on the left side of the plenum which as eccs written on it) there is an adjustment screw. You want to wind it in or out to achieve about 800 rpm. Once you get that then plug in the throttle position sensor and go test it.

mugenb20b, Mar 30, 7:35am
To clean out the throttle body, all you need is a can of brake or carb cleaner and a screwdriver.

The only expensive bit can be a transmission service and as Intrade suggested, this is the first thing you should do.

intrade, Mar 30, 7:46am
forget about cleaning sparkplugs you got no mutchof a clue and sparkplugs dont get cleaned they get replaced for new ones cleaning sparklug was 100 years ago these days its put in throw out parts non servicable items and more and more is just replacment on new cars with 100s of electronic sensors its remove throw away fit new .

_roxxra_, Mar 30, 8:09am
Oh ok, I'll do that then, thanks

intrade, Mar 30, 8:28am
well do a automatic trans service and you do know you need tools to change sparkplugs , dont cross thread them or you can pay 10 times more to fix it after you screw plugs in by hand turning the extension with your fingers and then its another art to remove the sparkplug socket without it being stuck in the cilinder head lol.

mugenb20b, Mar 30, 8:41am
Never had that problem.didn't even know that was possible.

intrade, Mar 30, 9:15am
there is a rubber holding the plug inside the socket and the extension clips in to the socket , now if the rubber is holding the plug real tight you pull the extention and the socket still is on the plug , almost all cheaper tools do exactly that. and if you remove the rubber the plug just falls in to the hole possible adjusting the gap while it hits something. i got a speacial plug inserting tool for hard to reach plugs.

extrayda, Mar 30, 10:55am
Haha Intrade, I had EXACTLY that problem when I did the plugs on my Cefiro. Ended up putting the plugs in by having them just inside the socket/rubber ring, giving them a couple of turns, then pulling socket out. Then take rubber ring out of the socket to tighten them up properly. If I was doing it more often would probably fix the extension to the socket in a more permanent way.

extrayda, Mar 30, 11:00am
As for the idle issue - does the car drive ok the rest of the time - eg going up a hill etc! Doing the plugs is a cheap place to start either way.

morrisman1, Mar 30, 4:44pm
a bit of duct tape on the socket works good and stops it staying in the head.

reggienz, Mar 30, 10:14pm
Why is it that some one asks a genuine question and some idiot has to sabotage it with stupid remark like #10. Not every one can afford to drive a late model car. I wonder what mcfc drives!

inkapuka, Mar 30, 10:59pm
maybe a 1992 corolla lol

mugenb20b, Mar 31, 1:16am
Ah, I see what you mean. I don't own any spark plug sockets with rubber inserts. All of my ones are Koken clip on type spark plug sockets.

tigra, Mar 31, 2:33am
Oil Changers will do an oil change and transmission flush for about $240

intrade, Mar 31, 2:52am
it dont needs a transmission flush it needs a propper service with filter change, we had this all before with flushing is like flushing your money down the drain or do you change your engine oil also without replacing the filter , thats what a transmission flush is a waste of time and another nail in the coffin bringing the trans one step closer to its death.

intrade, Mar 31, 2:58am
here you go i am not making things up
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/238